Poll: Does this concept seem to have its own identity?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Exclamation Demon Hunter Class idea. (long, adding continuing updates)

Demon Hunters.

Intro.

So, upon lurking the general discussion here, ive seen countless demon hunter vs technology class threads. One of the arguments of the people against demon hunters, is that all of the demon hunter abilities have been given to other classes. (Metamorph, immolation, mana burn, evasion.) Now while this is true, im a firm believer that since blizzard is a billion dollar company, they have the means to create a demon hunter class that is unique, yet holds the feel of the demon hunter hero unit from wc3. Now keep in mind, this is big here i cant stress this enough, im in no way saying that demon hunter has a set place in the wow class list, nor am i saying that demon hunters will ever be added. This is merely an experiment, more for myself, maybe some other people out there, to see if a demon hunter class can be further developed into a playable class that fits into the scheme of wow.

You guys are my witnesses to the hypothesis that it can be done, but well see how it goes. If you bother reading, i dont really care. If you do, id like constructive comments. Remember, this is an experiment.

Guess ill start from the beginning.

Playable Races
    -Blood elves - Trained by Illidan
    -Night elves - the og demon hunters.
    -Orcs - Orcs hate demons, fact.
    -Humans - there are human demon hunters shown in hyjal, and mainly for gameplay balance.
    You could argue demon hunters would only be blood elves and night elves, would make sense, but people might argue that the beloved orcs and humans cant be the new class.

Weapon Proficiency
    -1h swords.
    -1h axes.
    -daggers
    -fist weapons

And for people that think dhs can only be useful for demons.
    From wiki.
    These blades appear as a strange cross between a small buckler and a sharp-looking, curved, two-bladed short sword. The demon hunters of the night elves wear these blades while they hunt the minions of the Scourge, the Burning Legion or other dark adversaries worthy of such weaponry

Armor Proficiency
    -Leather,mail.

Starting Zone
    Now, some fans might argue this should be a hero class, but im all in favor of starting at level one, because if you remember, the majority of dks were made fun of for skipping 58 levels in the beginning of wotlk, and didnt really know how to play their class upon reaching end game content. Guilty.
    So option A: Throw them in the original race starting zones, let them level up like everyone else.

But, for the sake of the thread, im going to declare them as a hero class, even though blizzard would like to step away from hero classes. And since option A is boring,
    Option B: Demon Hunters start at level 65 at a lower level, phased version of the Ruins of Karabor, on top of black temple. Better known as the illidari demon hunter training ground.

The quest line will involve a resurrected Illidan (He was mostly demon, its possible. Blues have said they want to bring him back.) training demon hunters to aid the burning legion like in burning crusade. Altrius the sufferer and the dark embrace realize there need to be more individuals trained in the art of demon hunting to fend off the coming invasion. Your job is to be trained by illidan, and take over the training of the fresh demon hunters.

Ill come up with quest ideas during the day. But heres a few.
    Outland: Altrius the Sufferer wants you to become Acquainted with Illidan.
    Bloodlust:You must prove yourself to Altrius as a recruit. Choose and kill one of the other trainees.
    What needs to be done:Experience the demon hunter ritual. (Ripping eyes out, replacing them with spectral sight.)

This quest will grant the cosmetic blindfold for demon hunters. Does not add stats, purely cosmetic. They can wear helmets just fine.
    Completing the quest line will level you to 68, allowing you to jump right into Northrend.

Class Quests
    For those of you who played monks, blizzard nailed it. The class zone, the quests, all truly an awesome experience.

The demon hunters will have a similar leveling process. They will return to Karabor for a new quest for training every ten levels, and the quests will award blindfolds with stats, increasing every ten levels. The quest will be daily and give an experience buff like the monks. In the zone will be a vendor for warglaive style swords, similar to the vendors on kun-lai summit with fist weapons and staves.

Specializations
    Ill add abilities on a later occasion, im kind of pressed for time.
    Agony.

This spec focuses on melee dps, enhancing your physical abilities with fire.
    Mastery-dealing fire damage increases weapon speed by x% and decreases fire damage by y%. Dealing weapon damage increases your fire damage by x% and decreases weapon damage by y%. 10 stacks of each causes you to metamorph, dealing 10% more damage.

Curse of Flames
    Shear
    Agonizing Flames
    Flame Crash
    Chaos Blast

Deception.

This spec is the tank spec, based on dodge and parry.
    Mastery-upon dodging or parrying an attack, you will gain a stack of evasion, increasing dodge chance by x%. At ten stacks, you will unleash a parallel metamorphed version of yourself to absorb the next five attacks that deal more than 4% of your total health.

Draw Soul
    Deflection
    Spellbreaker
    Debilitating Strike

Gloom.

This spec (bear with me) is a shadow/arcane caster spec.
    Mastery- every time you deal shadow damage, you gain a stack of insanity, increasing shadow damage and cast time by 10%. Every time you deal arcane damage you gain a stack of guidance, decreasing damage and cast time by 10%. At 10 stacks you will metamorph, Increases arcane spell damage by 20%. Reduces Shadow spell cast time by 20%.

Shadow Crash
    Arcane Bolt
    Shadowfury

Dh meta. Different from warlock.

States
    This is the demon hunter version of stances/presence/aspect.
    Dread state-increases damage done and movement speed by 10%. Enemies within 5 yards take x fire damage every 1second.
    Vengeance state-taking damage causes your next melee attack to do 25% of total damage taken.
    Sage state- taking damage during spellcasting causes your next spell under two seconds to be instant.
    Conclusion

Class design is hard, ill come up with more during the day for abilites, actual quests, and a talent grid.
    Let me know what you think, help my experiment. More edits to come. I'm also a fan of the ranger idea. I'd like to do class concepts if you suggest them too.

-9/7 class made. 1:00 mastery made
    Last edited by Riarden; 2013-09-18 at 01:21 AM.

A demon hunter without demonology spec?

I felt demonology is way too close to warlocks. Warlocks being close to demon hunters as it is i didnt want people to see demonlogy and immediately default. I want to maintain a seperate class identity.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to flesh out those specs so that they both:

1) Fit with current Developer philosophies (I.E, No purely avoidance tank)

and 2) Plays significantly different from any existing playstyle.

Managing both of these will allow you to safely argue against the people who will quote GC at you. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Orloth View Post
    Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to flesh out those specs so that they both:

1) Fit with current Developer philosophies (I.E, No purely avoidance tank)

and 2) Plays significantly different from any existing playstyle.

Managing both of these will allow you to safely argue against the people who will quote GC at you. Good luck.
    Noted. Thanks.

Deleted
    I would play this, it has all of my fav things in it.
    It has tanking, duel wield dps and some sort of casting spec.
    I would insta main this.
    Love to see this grow and eventualy play this my self ! Blizzard make this happen or give him a job to make it !

Thanks, uniqueness is definately the name of the game here.

Deleted
    I mean, it has all the good things i am in love with all of those things. this would def make me come back to world of warcraft.
    Back in the days when i actualy played wow on a certain hardcore level i had 4 chars. combat rogue, Dk tank, demo lock and a arcane mage.
    u put the best specs of those classes together + metamorph. i just wonder why this isnt in game yet

i would rather see this as a hero class like DK's then just from level 1.
    or it might be a good idea to start from level 1 so everyone learns the class and spells ect. but they have some sort of memory loss or something they are trying to find where they come from ect. when they hit 65 they get to quest near the black temple and they realize what they are and eventualy they do all the class quests to unlock the special abilities.
    i don't know, just spitballing here never actualy done something like this. BUT THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN !

Also excuse my English, its terribad

Well the thing is I don't want them to be the same as the other classes. Gc tweeted that dhs might now have design space with those classes in the game.

Wow! This is new. You mean nobody every thought of a Demon Hunter class before! This thread pops up every month or so with some describing what abilities they should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Riarden View Post
    -Blood elves - Trained by Illidan
    -Night elves - the og demon hunters.
    No, this is stupid idea. I don't want to see it.

I like your implementation of Evasion and Metamorphosis. It probably shouldn't be the same mechanic for all three specs though, in fact I'd say Metamorphosis itself isn't needed for all three specs. Maybe just one of them.

Also I don't like the idea of a DH as a caster. I'd prefer a one spec prioritizing physical/melee, and another prioritizing magic/melee. They can still use magic abilities, just like Enchancement Shaman or Retri Paladin do.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    No, this is stupid idea. I don't want to see it.
    I assume he means the ones already outside the Black Temple.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2013-09-07 at 08:18 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Wow! This is new. You mean nobody every thought of a Demon Hunter class before! This thread pops up every month or so with some describing what abilities they should have.
    For how long now? And people complain about Tinker threads! : D

Though for Demon Hunter, some ideas you have there is good, others not. For armor it would be mail; Since there is only 2 classes using Mail while there is 3 for all others. Also, feels like Demon Hunters would use Fist Weapons, like Glaives. And why not have ranged spec/weapons for it, like guns and such, so there is more then Hunters using them and I could easy see Demon Hunters with ranged weapons of some sorts.

Also probably more races that would be able to be Demon Hunters (and Belfs tought by Illidan, that seems just fishy lol). Mean, all races can be Monks that popped up suddenly, then some races more then Nelfs could be Demon Hunters. What I think at least.

Like I said in op. This isn't really a crowd pleaser. The point of this is to see if a unique class with the feel of wc3 dhs can be made.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I like your implementation of Evasion and Metamorphosis. It probably shouldn't be the same mechanic for all three specs though, in fact I'd say Metamorphosis itself isn't needed for all three specs.
    Well all of the metas work pretty different. One melees. One casts. One takes hits. And its pretty iconic to dhs.

- - - Updated - - -

And they usually suck.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love to see DH in game

I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    A handful of people nut-busting about it on various forums does not equal popularity, and popularity does not equal good design.

Hmmm, I like this version of the Demon Hunter class, is interesting at least.

Since WoW is moving towards an active mitigation style of tanking, maybe something like this would work:

Enveloping Flames
    Surrounds the caster in flames, reducing damage by 40% and increases dodge by 20%

Flame crash
    Causes the Melted Blades stacking buff, which has an X% chance to reduce the next attack by Y * (number of stacks) damage. X and Y can be affected by mastery. Sort of like block but works for all types of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Perpetuus View Post
    Since WoW is moving towards an active mitigation style of tanking, maybe something like this would work:

Enveloping Flames
    Surrounds the caster in flames, reducing damage by 40% and increases dodge by 20%

Flame crash
    Causes the Melted Blades stacking buff, which has an X% chance to reduce the next attack by Y * (number of stacks) damage. X and Y can be affected by mastery. Sort of like block but works for all types of damage.
    Im open to suggestions. Definitely different, which is good, and i like it.

Deleted
    Do u rather see a tinker class or demon hunter class? if u don't want to see any new classes in wow u shouldnt press on the links.
    and besides, i think this has a lot more time in it then all others.
    be happy it pops up every other month instead of every week or worse every day.

just don't press the links if u see " <INSERT RANDOM CLASS NAME> should be the new class " =3