1. #4001
    Herald of the Titans Vetali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington, Land of Rain
    Posts
    2,702
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Jaws is always wrong
    Yeah, he is. I just found it funny. Once he watches more tape of him he'll say that hes good.

  2. #4002
    Brewmaster Robbyjawz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Deadmines
    Posts
    1,393
    Kaep is yet isn't a very good comparison to Manziel. I haven't watched much tape on Manziel, but Kaep takes off if he doesn't like his first read frequently. He needs to work on his progressions. Manziel is a runner as well, but he is much more comparable to R. Wilson in size. Jaws is insane right now, Kaep has talent to be elite and a top 5 QB, he is middle of the pack right now in my opinion, because he really needs to work on reads. He'll improve more this season as he should have Crabtree all year, Davis, an improving Patton, and hopefully Boldin (he is supposedly just working out weather it is going to be a 2 or 3 year contract). Those are some splendid targets.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.
    Sane people are boring. Or else I've been around insane people so long that I can't tell the difference anymore. Either way, chase away those silly notions of linear thought: they have never done anyone good.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

  3. #4003
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbyjawz View Post
    Kaep is yet isn't a very good comparison to Manziel. I haven't watched much tape on Manziel, but Kaep takes off if he doesn't like his first read frequently. He needs to work on his progressions. Manziel is a runner as well, but he is much more comparable to R. Wilson in size. Jaws is insane right now, Kaep has talent to be elite and a top 5 QB, he is middle of the pack right now in my opinion, because he really needs to work on reads. He'll improve more this season as he should have Crabtree all year, Davis, an improving Patton, and hopefully Boldin (he is supposedly just working out weather it is going to be a 2 or 3 year contract). Those are some splendid targets.
    Having targets doesn't make you better at getting through progressions. Just look at the regression of Tim Tebow as the season progressed. Kaep gets by on his athleticism and benefits from the defense and players around him on offense. If Kaep were asked to do what Cam Newton is asked to do, Kaep would be lucky to win 6 games.

  4. #4004
    Brewmaster Robbyjawz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Deadmines
    Posts
    1,393
    Kaep got better in the playoffs, he killed us in Seattle because he locked onto targets with the interceptions, but he at least did some progressions in the other playoff games. Maybe Geep Chryst (the QB coach) and Harbs MKII will rag on him until he starts getting better at it. My high school football coach made us run a lap of the track every time we tried to do an "arm tackle", I know that this is the professionals and it probably will not fly or work, but every time he locks onto a target, maybe the OL or WR's can force him to pay for a very expensive dinner or something.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.
    Sane people are boring. Or else I've been around insane people so long that I can't tell the difference anymore. Either way, chase away those silly notions of linear thought: they have never done anyone good.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

  5. #4005
    The Lightbringer draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,308
    there'd be a lot of QBs in this league throwing to very fat receivers if they tried that

  6. #4006
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbyjawz View Post
    Kaep got better in the playoffs, he killed us in Seattle because he locked onto targets with the interceptions, but he at least did some progressions in the other playoff games. Maybe Geep Chryst (the QB coach) and Harbs MKII will rag on him until he starts getting better at it. My high school football coach made us run a lap of the track every time we tried to do an "arm tackle", I know that this is the professionals and it probably will not fly or work, but every time he locks onto a target, maybe the OL or WR's can force him to pay for a very expensive dinner or something.
    That's not going to change him. It's just one of those things. Either you get through progressions or you don't. It really comes down to whether or not he's dedicating himself to getting better or he's suffering from Michael Vick Syndrome. Michael Vick Syndrome being enjoying some success as a 1 read and tuck QB until the league figures you out but being too immature or arrogant to bother studying or trying to get better.

    And Kaep definitely lost SF the NFCCG. Vernon Davis was sitting wide open underneath for 9-10 yards when Kaep tried to force the ball to Crabtree. Also, I felt Harbaugh should have taken a timeout before that play. I felt that play was a twofold mistake.

  7. #4007
    Epic! icausewipes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Medusa Cascade
    Posts
    1,697
    “Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it”
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...k-on-the-colts

    Overpay for offensive free agents and let their Hall of Fame defense twist in the wind.
    Clara, be my pal, tell me: am I a good man?

  8. #4008
    Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...k-on-the-colts

    Overpay for offensive free agents and let their Hall of Fame defense twist in the wind.
    Remember when Irsay said that the way they built the team when Peyton Manning was in town was a mistake? Must not be as big of a mistake as he originally thought.

  9. #4009
    The Lightbringer draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,308
    it looks like Jimmy Graham extension talks are bogging down which means we're going to get this damned WR vs. TE thing

    such a hassle, the extension will get done eventually but they have to tag him to retain him in the meantime

  10. #4010
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Your boy is a better comparison, but I think Manziel is wider and faster.
    Wilson ran a 4.55 40, and is playing at over 220 pounds. Manziel ran a 4.68 40, and weighed in at 207 pounds. Wilson is both faster, and stouter.

  11. #4011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazshax View Post
    Wilson ran a 4.55 40, and is playing at over 220 pounds. Manziel ran a 4.68 40, and weighed in at 207 pounds. Wilson is both faster, and stouter.
    Combine speeds have little to do with speed in pads. If you'd like a comparison, Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 40. Manziel also ran better times in the 3 Cone drill and 20 yd Shuttle runs.

    Also, Wilson is stronger. That doesn't necessarily make him wider. Look at Wilson's combine photos and compare them to Manziel. Wilson's arms and legs are more muscular. And despite all that muscle, Wilson still weighed in at 204 at the Combine. 3 pounds lighter than Manziel.

  12. #4012
    Epic! icausewipes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Medusa Cascade
    Posts
    1,697
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ltimore-ravens

    Loving the Ravens descent into lotteryville.

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-new-york-jets

    IF he stays healthy then the jets could make the playoffs.
    Clara, be my pal, tell me: am I a good man?

  13. #4013
    Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ltimore-ravens

    Loving the Ravens descent into lotteryville.

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-new-york-jets

    IF he stays healthy then the jets could make the playoffs.
    Why would they play Vick ever? Its fine to sign him to back up but theres no reason to play the guy when Geno is there. Vick has zero future. Geno is all future. Let him improve hope you drafted well. And even if you did make a bad pick Vick sure as hell isnt the answer

  14. #4014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    Why would they play Vick ever? Its fine to sign him to back up but theres no reason to play the guy when Geno is there. Vick has zero future. Geno is all future. Let him improve hope you drafted well. And even if you did make a bad pick Vick sure as hell isnt the answer
    That's the problem, though. The Jets aren't sold on Geno. I don't know why the Jets would waste money signing Vick when they could be wasting money signing an offensive weapon for Geno to throw to. Any offensive weapon.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ltimore-ravens

    Loving the Ravens descent into lotteryville.
    There is no lottery in the NFL. If you mean "Missing the playoffs", then 20 other teams also miss the playoffs. Finishing 8-8 isn't bad for the Ravens considering the number of losses they took on defense and the trading of Boldin. I'm surprised they did as well as they did and were in control of their own destiny in week 17.

    Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-new-york-jets

    IF he stays healthy then the jets could make the playoffs.
    Vick couldn't do shit with the same guys that Foles used to turn into a Pro Bowl QB. There is no way that Vick could take the shit show that is the Jets offense and turn them into a playoff team. Vick is no more than a back up anymore. It's amazing to me how people continue to overrate Vick even when he's 33. He was overrated when he was 25.

  15. #4015
    Epic! icausewipes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Medusa Cascade
    Posts
    1,697
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    I don't know why the Jets would waste money signing Vick when they could be wasting money signing an offensive weapon for Geno to throw to. Any offensive weapon. That's the problem, though. The Jets aren't sold on Geno.

    Kinda answered your on post, but if not I'm sure you will.

    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    There is no lottery in the NFL. If you mean "Missing the playoffs", then 20 other teams also miss the playoffs. Finishing 8-8 isn't bad for the Ravens considering the number of losses they took on defense and the trading of Boldin. I'm surprised they did as well as they did and were in control of their own destiny in week 17.
    Finishing 8-8 is bad after winning the SB unless settling for mediocrity is ok. They are doing an awesome job restocking that defense too.

    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Vick couldn't do shit with the same guys that Foles used to turn into a Pro Bowl QB. There is no way that Vick could take the shit show that is the Jets offense and turn them into a playoff team.

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=330909028 - played well
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=330915021 - played really well
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=330919021 - played like crap against KC
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=330929007 - played avg in a blow out loss against den


    Foles pretty much played lights out for most of the season, but what does that have to do with geno and vick? You said they don't feel comfortable with smith so why not take a chance on vick?

    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    It's amazing to me how people continue to overrate Vick even when he's 33. He was overrated when he was 25.
    He is better than geno and could help them make the playoffs with their decent defense? Their offense was "shit show" because Geno was the gift that kept on giving.
    Clara, be my pal, tell me: am I a good man?

  16. #4016
    Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    He is better than geno and could help them make the playoffs with their decent defense? Their offense was "shit show" because Geno was the gift that kept on giving.
    You dont give up on your 2nd round QB after 1 season in the league. And you certainly dont do it to try out an aging injury prone veteran on a team that has no chance of winning the Super Bowl anyways. You let your young guy work hard and do his best to improve. If you give up on rookies that quickly theres no chance for you as a franchise (and I dont even like Geno)

  17. #4017
    The Lightbringer draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    You dont give up on your 2nd round QB after 1 season in the league. And you certainly dont do it to try out an aging injury prone veteran on a team that has no chance of winning the Super Bowl anyways. You let your young guy work hard and do his best to improve. If you give up on rookies that quickly theres no chance for you as a franchise (and I dont even like Geno)
    There's a chance for the Jets? In any case, Geno needs competition and that isn't going to come from the guys they have now, so they gotta bring in somebody to back him up, might as well be Vick, of course with the way the Jets treat their QBs I don't expect he would go there unless he had no other offers.

  18. #4018
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Combine speeds have little to do with speed in pads. If you'd like a comparison, Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 40.
    People pull Jerry Rice over and over and over as an example of how little combine speeds matter, but the reality is that a couple rare exceptions at the WR position (Boldin being the other) aren't great evidence that combine speeds don't tell us anything. For every Rice that plays faster than his timed speed, there's a dozen guys like Cordrelle Patterson, Marsquise Goodwin, Dante Stallworth that firmly establish their speed in the combine and other track workouts, and it translates on field. Of course, speed isn't all there is to a player, but saying that 40 times have "little to do with speed in pads" is silly. Occasionally, guys play at much different speeds than their workouts, but they're the exception, not the rule.

    In the specific case of Wilson vs. Manziel, comparing their raw speed just seems dopey to me. They're both excellent athletes for the position that we can be reasonably confident will make plays with their legs. Neither is a transcendent athlete like a Kaep or Cunningham or Vick that's going to run away from defensive backs in the open field.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    You dont give up on your 2nd round QB after 1 season in the league.
    People always say that, but if a team has enough internal information to be comfortable saying that a guy isn't going to be good, I don't really see the point in standing by a bad decision. The track record for guys that have rookie seasons like Geno isn't great. Maybe he'll wind up being good, but there's not really any reason at this point to even believe he can be a league average QB.

  19. #4019
    Brewmaster Robbyjawz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Deadmines
    Posts
    1,393
    Speaking of Boldin, the Niners just signed him to a two year deal worth 12 million, 9 guaranteed. I think the two year deal works best for the Niners, as it allows him to mentor / help develop the younger WR's they have, and he would be around for a year if Crabtree signs elsewhere after next season.

    The Niners also signed secondary coach Ed Donatell to a two year contract. Sweeeeet, I like Donatell. I know he has been interviewed a couple of times as a possibility for a DC for teams.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.
    Sane people are boring. Or else I've been around insane people so long that I can't tell the difference anymore. Either way, chase away those silly notions of linear thought: they have never done anyone good.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

  20. #4020
    Seems fair for both sides, that Boldin deal. The per year price is kind of low, but getting the second year guaranteed (or some roster bonus that makes it nearly as good as a guaranteed second year) works well for Boldin. The 49ers get a reasonable cap figure and a borderline HoF receiver that looks like he still has at least one more very good year in the tank.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •