Welp, Sproles is gone. There goes checkdown target #1 for Brees. That guy is a fantastic weapon for a team that actually knows how to utilize him. I.E not San Francsisco for as long as G-Ro is OC.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.
    Sane people are boring. Or else I've been around insane people so long that I can't tell the difference anymore. Either way, chase away those silly notions of linear thought: they have never done anyone good.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

Quote Originally Posted by Robbyjawz View Post
    Welp, Sproles is gone. There goes checkdown target #1 for Brees. That guy is a fantastic weapon for a team that actually knows how to utilize him. I.E not San Francsisco for as long as G-Ro is OC.
    Have to wonder if the Saints are looking to Ben Tate.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Have to wonder if the Saints are looking to Ben Tate.
    Tate probably wants starter money, I doubt the Saints have the budget for him, or else they would have kept Sproles/Moore.

I never thought the Saints had much money problems, Thought Seattle would be worse.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I never thought the Saints had much money problems, Thought Seattle would be worse.
    Dallas is in much much worse shape than both.

Jimmy Graham is on twitter complaining about the Saints cutting everybody as if he isn't the reason for it, well him and Brees with his big-ass contract. I hope the QBs clamoring for $18+ mil a year are seeing this clusterfuck of an offseason and realizing what their contract will do to their team's cap situation.

I could see SF gunning for Bennet really hard. Play in a system that fits your playstyle, on a team one throw away from making the superbowl? Not a bad deal.
    My Short Required Reading List: One. Two. || Last.fm

If SF goes after any ex-Seahawks, it'll be Thurmond, the Niners need secondary help, and already have the 7/8 linemen under contract that they always have going into the season. Is Bennet better than TJE or Dobbs? Hell yes. Will the Niners shell out money to pay him for a multi year contract with Kaep / Aldon Smith / Crabtree's contract expiring after this year? Hell no.
    Sane people are boring. Or else I've been around insane people so long that I can't tell the difference anymore. Either way, chase away those silly notions of linear thought: they have never done anyone good.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

If SF goes after any ex-Seahawks, it'll be Thurmond, the Niners need secondary help, and already have the 7/8 linemen under contract that they always have going into the season. Is Bennet better than TJE or Dobbs? Hell yes. Will the Niners shell out money to pay him for a multi year contract with Kaep / Aldon Smith / Crabtree's contract expiring after this year? Hell no.
    Not Browner? Honestly Thurmond is gonna get suuuper overpaid if he hits FA. Hes been suspended twice, and injured a LOT. He said if he gets another major injury hes retiring.

Jags signed Red Bryant to a 4 year deal.

Browner is really physical, the last two DB's who were on the Niners who were that physical got penalized a LOT in crucial situations (Whitner and Goldson). Thus I am thinking that Thurmond will be the more likely of the two for the Niners to sign. I honestly think that if the Niners were to sign Browner (which I think is incredibly unlikely due to comments he had made about Harbaugh previously) he would be moved to SS rather than CB imo.

I honestly think that if the Niners were to sign Browner (which I think is incredibly unlikely due to comments he had made about Harbaugh previously) he would be moved to SS rather than CB imo.
    I hear there are a number of personnel people with similar projections for Browner, so if he is long-term projected to play safety and has the suspension upcoming, he might find the market a little lower than he expects, I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a 1-year some place that will let him play corner and hopefully setup a payday for next year.

Also, I could not see the Saints looking at Tate at all, he doesn't represent an upgrade and there is no allure since he would get shit playing time. They might have interest in McCluster though, that is a guy the Saints would know how to use.
    Last edited by draynay; 2014-03-08 at 09:25 PM.

The Saints with McCluster would be freaking terrifying. I do not like that prospect at all. Do not get Dexter McCluster New Orleans!

To have actual news: Sam Shields was resigned by the Packers with a 4 year, 39 million dollar contract. I am not sure about how old he is, so I will not say if I think it is a mistake or not, because there are very few CBs that have done well past age 30 that I have seen. Rogers for SF did well when he was on a one year deal, then fell apart. CB is by far the position that I feel age catches up with you the hardest.

God damn, thats insane. Now I feel less optimistic about keeping both Thomas and Sherman after next season.

My favourite website for monitoring teams cap woes during the offseason is http://overthecap.com/nfl-cap-space.php?Year=2014.

It seems fairly accurate and is updated regularly. Its funny how much teams cap situations have changed over the last week... even with the better than expected increase a lot of teams have had to be fairly aggressive in cutting cap dead wieght, or restructures, and there will be more to come if they even want a shot at getting some players through FA.

Thats a lot of dead money for the Panthers, and if they tried to lose that awful Stewart contract it would double!

Rashard Mendenhall announced his retirement. He was a decent player, but never really lived up to the first round selection. I am not thrilled with this, because that means that Andre Ellington might become the feature back in Arizona, that kid has some talent, he can light up opposing defenses if he gets into open space.

With the cap numbers, I am rather satisfied with the numbers on the Niners, even though Carlos Rogers is likely to be cut, adding a bit more dead money on, it will give a hell of a lot more cap space.

Arizona looks like a dangerous team. If Mathieu is healthy anywhere up until the middle of the season and they have a pretty good draft this year I could see them knocking SF or SEA down enough to institute a tie a la 2011 AFC West.
    My Short Required Reading List: One. Two. || Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Jimmy Graham is on twitter complaining about the Saints cutting everybody as if he isn't the reason for it, well him and Brees with his big-ass contract. I hope the QBs clamoring for $18+ mil a year are seeing this clusterfuck of an offseason and realizing what their contract will do to their team's cap situation.
    Completely agree. Its like these people are ignorant to the fact things like a salary cap exist and if they are taking massive chunks of it than ofc the rest of the team will likely be lacking in talent. I guess if he took a paycut to get more talent around the team and they still are losing people left and right than I could see a legitimate beef.

Is there some advantage to not using up your cap space up completely? I see a few top tier teams with 25 mill+ left in cap space (colts, broncos, packers, bengals)

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Is there some advantage to not using up your cap space up completely? I see a few top tier teams with 25 mill+ left in cap space (colts, broncos, packers, bengals)
    well the free agent signing period hasn't started yet, so teams either have room or are desperately trying to make room to begin spending