Laniakea Supercluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Earth

Bicycle Seat Fell Off...What Now?

Hello!

I was riding my bike the other day, not doing anything too intensive, but all of a sudden the seat on my bike became disconnected from its mounting bracket (mounting post? I'm not completely sure of the terminology) and after I quickly came to a stop (because I could feel that something was wrong with the seat) and dismounted, the seat just fell right off. I really would like to get this fixed as quick as possible, for cycling is my preferred method of exercising (and transportation, I live on a college campus).

I've been doing a little bit of googling as to which parts I may need to replace, but it honestly hasn't been too much help, so I'm here asking for some help.

Specs:
    Diamondback Mountain Bike, not sure exactly how many years old, but I've had the thing for at least 5-8 years or so.
    The brand of the seat is: Avenir (I think it's as old as the bike, probably the original seat from when I got the bike).
    The brand of the seat post (mounting post? again, terminology issues) is Kalin, and it's as old as the bike as well.

Also, there's a piece of metal that fell off when the seat came off, I am not completely sure what it's called, but I definitely know that it plays an important role in keeping the seat on the bike.

(if I've forgotten any specs, let me know, and I'll get them)

Here's some pics:

Picture of Seat:

Picture of Seatpost:

Picture of metal part that came off (both top and bottom sides of it):

If anyone is able to lend some suggestions as to what I should do to fix the bike, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks - Hastings
    "Then we have found, as it seems, that the many beliefs of the many about what's fair and about the other things roll around somewhere between not-being and being purely and simply." - Plato: Republic

get a new seat

Time to head off to the LBS to grab a new saddle. I'm not sure if you'll need to do anything about the post from the mounting, but you can ask them and they should be able to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings View Post
    Diamondback Mountain Bike, not sure exactly how many years old, but I've had the thing for at least 5-8 years or so.
    Looks from the pictures to be wear & tear on that part. These things aren't made to last forever, they wear out and it sounds like that's what happened here.
    If the bike (or bike seat) is under warranty you might be able to trade it in, otherwise just buy a new seat. Unless you want to try repairing the old one, or refabricating a new part on your own. Probably a lot more straightforward to just buy a new seat.

just gonna have to sit on it without a seat like grandma used to do it
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Google bike stores in your area. Unlike most things these days the majority of bike stores are just as happy to sell the part and fix it for you as sell you a new one. The toughest parts getting it there.

P.S. Could take a while so you may want to bring a book or find a place to get lunch while ya wait. Good luck.

From the photos the saddle looks fine, it's part of the seat post which has failed. Replacing the seat post is really easy but it's worth taking into a bike shop first - they may have the necessary replacement parts.

DON'T just go out and buy a new saddle - that won't help without replacing the seat post.

Replacing a seat post and saddle takes 10mins tops - I fitted a new dropper seat post and saddle on my mountain bike about 2yrs ago, and that included routing the cabling and fitting the controls for it.

Arm your self with a gorilla warfare machete and go to the manufacturers HQ demanding a refund.

Get an it!

Laniakea Supercluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Earth
    Thanks for the replies all, I'll be working on getting it fixed soon, now I have some idea of what to do.

Cheers
    "Then we have found, as it seems, that the many beliefs of the many about what's fair and about the other things roll around somewhere between not-being and being purely and simply." - Plato: Republic

get a new bracket, or a new seat, or a new post/seat/ choice is yours on how handy you are.

duct tape? If it's good enough for NASA it's good enough for your bike
    You're a fine example of how gamer communities have become infested with endlessly whining and bitching, arrogant, opinionated, unreasonable, all the way immature, completely delusional, tendentially psychotic, insulting individuals one really doesn't want to be linked with. And playing with you guys is certainly no fun at all. I don't know where this kind of folks spawns from. Must be a nest somewhere ...
    A fine summarization of the community

Buy a roll of Duct Tape problem fixed.

Edit: Tierbook beat me to it lol
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 2014-03-03 at 04:35 AM.

As a side note, seat posts come in several different diameters. The number should be stamped near the end of it...knowing the size will make finding a new one a little easier. (If I had to guess it is probably 30.9 mm - any decent bike shop should have an affordable post in this size in stock)

Wish I had seen this sooner.

There is nothing wrong with your saddle (the seat). If you are otherwise happy with it then keep it. Just replace the seat post as the one you have is now broken. Seat posts come in different diameters so you'll need the right one for your bike.

If you post a picture of your bike I can probably track down the diameter of the seat post for you. Or you can take it in to a local bike shop and have them measure it for you. Should be an easy and inexpensive fix.
    Atheist, anti-theist, pro-gun, pro-Constitution, anti-racism, pro-gay rights, anti-war, anti-corporatism.