10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    I hope you weren't surprised...

Though I am glad that there weren't any game deciding calls in that game.
    I probably should have guessed at the level of bullshit when it said it was the refs giving the game to Seattle, and not Kaepernick by throwing 2 picks, but whatever.

Asante Samuel is the first victim of the start of the bloody start of the new season. He's just been cut due to being expensive and bad by the Atlanta Falcons.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the notion of NFL rigging to be "bullshit."

A lot of it makes sense. The NFL is the only pro sports organization in which all the teams are collevtively under the same roof, and the NFL qualifies itself as "entertainment."

When you look at it more and more, its distinctly possible NFL officials could have a hand in trying to sway game outcomes for the sake of increased revenue.

Am I a hardcore tinfoil-hat type? No, but when the NFL appears to be more like the WWE than the NHL, something could be wrong.
    Last edited by Toxigen; 2014-02-05 at 08:55 PM.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the notion of NFL rigging to be "bullshit."

A lot of it makes sense. The NFL is the only pro sports organization in which all the teams are collevtively under the same roof, and the NFL qualifies itself as "entertainment."

When you look at it more and more, its distinctly possible NFL officials could have a hand in trying to sway game outcomes for the sake of increased revenue.

Am I a hardcore tinfoil-hat type? No, but when the NBA and NFL appears to be more like the WWE than the NHL, something could be wrong.
    Sacramento Kings and Spygate agree with you.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=2294309
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjRcTiwVEwo
    Last edited by icausewipes; 2014-02-05 at 09:27 PM.
    You cared enough to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantheal View Post
    Just curious Jib but do you still "trust Wilson less than Luck or RG3" like you did at the begining of the season like when I asked you about him?
    Luck yes. RG3 no. His play and recovery from his injury have been a lot worse than expected, the whole falling out with his coach and some of the teammates is also not a good sign for a QB. But Luck is still much more capable of leading an offense than Wilson

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    I feel ripped off as a fan of football. We go to the super bowl expecting both teams to put out their best efforts,
    I watched the super bowl to see the Broncos lose, so I got what I wanted.

15+ Year Old Account
    OMG, it is Sunday and I have nothing to do or watch! I might be having nfl withdrawals.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    OMG, it is Sunday and I have nothing to do or watch! I might be having nfl withdrawals.
    Same. I mean I was so desperate for football in the week-end before the SB that I watched the Probowl. I saw this coming, but that doesn't make it easier.

Have my eye on off season now, though it's going to be lame compared to actually having games on. But I'll watch the off season stuff. Combine in a few weeks, Draft in May. And just follow all the offseason drama in the mean time.

Speaking of which, who do you guys think will be THE surprise cap victim in the early season? Must be someone on your team maybe, or someone you know did badly and has a high salary.

Don't realy have any names myself. I've heard Amendola's name float about in speculation, but I doubt the Pats will let him walk after 1 disapponting season. It'd be different if we had any proven WR's outside Edelman, but it's not, so I doubt they'd let him walk. Especially as long as they've not signed Edelman back again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Think the only interesting thing going on is the fact Gonzalez expected to be traded to another team during the season. Seemed ideal for all parties involved; really curious why management didn't do it.

I suppose it's a good time to talk about what we want our teams to have next season.

Broncos:

Offense:
    - Re-sign Decker, since he said he'd like to keep playing in Denver
    - Get Clady back and healthy so Manning never takes pressure from his left side again
    - Give Montee Ball more opportunities; he started to really start making differences in drives near the end of the season
    - Keep Adam Gase, our awesome offensive coordinator
    - Get the run game going more and rely less on timing routes - the league is a copycat league and teams are going to copy Seattle

Defense:
    - Get Von Miller back and healthy so he can wreck offenses again
    - Re-sign Chris Harris and DRC, move Champ to Free Safety and have him start over Mike Adams
    - Focus on developing Duke Ihenacho and Kayvon Webster - two young, aggressive, and physically talented DBs
    - Trade up for fast, talented edge rusher

If that happens, and assuming the defense doesn't get annihilated by injuries again, you could see a very different Denver team next year. Derek Wolfe has a knack for collapsing the pocket from the front, Chris Harris is a top-10 corner, and Von Miller completely eliminates offenses. I'm also predicting they rely on running the ball more, cutting back on timing routes and grinding down defenses with Montee Ball's "don't stop churning the feet" style of running.

Should be interesting.

Niners:
    The refs that did the super bowl, to do the games against Seattle.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    When I started watching football for real, which was only a few years ago, my local team was shit, wait teams were shit because there are two of them, one is still shit, sigh... So for me it never really was about rooting for one team and becoming invested in them and all that fan nonsense of being a part of it.

I genuinely enjoy watching the game, almost every play is dynamic and instead of just being one pitcher and one hitter, its lineman on lineman, corner back on WR, QB vs the Blitz... there always so much going on, so much to see, and NFL films has really done an amazing job translating that to Television. Watching that ball fly through the air, then get caught by a guy not even looking in its direction, with 1 hand, and then he spins around to tap 2 feet inbound before rolling out. They get the right angles on that action, and its just fantastic, and makes the little back and forth kicking of soccer, or the every 30s score of Basketball look pathetic in comparison.

Oh which is another reason Football is simply better. Baseball and Soccer are just too slow.

The Giants have won the World Series twice in the last few years, and I watch some of their games, but I was crazy bored watching it. Guy comes up, he swings, and he misses, and misses, and misses, and if actually manages to hit the ball more then a 3rd of the time, he's a superstar.

I tried watching some of the English Soccer games NBC broadcasts in the mornings, but I just found it digusting, it was literally an hour of guys kicking a ball back and forth and missing the goal, then finally they get 1 goal, then 30min of play later the other team got a goal, and it ended with a tie, and THE FANS WERE CELEBRATING, A TIE, what kind of bullshit is that. No one won, you lost!

Or basketball, which is the exact opposite where it can seem like they just run down the court make the shot then other team does it, and who wins is whoever can run down the court faster.
    Try hockey. The sharks are good almost every year and nothings faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    I suppose it's a good time to talk about what we want our teams to have next season.
    Let it be noted that I'm really bad at this. I was throwing my hands up in disbelief last year when they let Welker walk and drafted like 15 guys from Rutgers, but in the end that all worked out pretty damn well. Like last year I'm just going to put my faith in Belichick and trust that whatever he does is probably going to be a good deal smarter then whatever half baked theories I throw out.

That said, here's what I hope to see:

- Edelman re-signed. I do NOT want a repeat of this season where we spend half the season wondering where on earth our WR production is going to come from. The guy is good, and does what you ask of him, pay the man. Don't make another Welker mistake and let him walk.

- Talib re-signed. It was blatently obvious from before Talib joined the Patriots, and from when he wasn't on the field the past 2 seasons that we NEED him, or at least a corner of his ability. We do not have one on the roster, so unless Belichick knows of a sure fire prospect the Patriots can draft that steps in from day 1 to do what Talib did, we NEED him on our team next year.

- Develop our rookie WR's in their second year. We need these guys. They had some flashes here and there, but we need more. I'm praying at least 1 or 2 of them do the Edelman thing and go spend most of their time being there for Tom Brady when he wants to work on things.

- Take a long hard look at our team, and invest in a better defense. It's en vogue to look at Seattle and copy what they do, but that's not what I actually mean. It's more the fact that I read that of the past 15 Superbowls the team with the better defense won 13 times. I feel that's enough justification to make sure we have the best defense we can possibly have. Brady and McDaniels (and Belichick) will make sure the offense works enough to get points when needed. Let's get a defense that can win us games again.

That's about it. I'm sure Belichick will surprise me again this year with his off season moves and his draft picks, btu it's always worked for us, so I'm just going to keep believing it will keep on working. (Unless they don't re-sign Edelman, then I'm going to lament it for the rest of the season)

10+ Year Old Account
    Missouri DE Michael Sam, who has declared for the NFL draft has admitted to being gay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Dallas needs a healthy defense. Particularly linebackers. I'd also feel better with a more reliable number 2 running back. better O-line that doesn't false start every play.

Pretty much the same they've need for two years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Missouri DE Michael Sam, who has declared for the NFL draft has admitted to being gay.
    I just read about it. I always wondered where the first openly gay, active player would come from, but suspected it would be a young guy. The fact he's doing this BEFORE getting drafted is pretty couragous, even if the media seems to think it won't hurt his draft status. It's still a pretty big gamble to take that a team will take you despite the extra media attention it will give, and not take a similar player at your position without that media attention (given that he's not a first round talent and will likely be drafted in later rounds where there's more equality in player talent at a given position).

Then again it makes sense that if he's going to be open about his sexuality then doing it before the process starts will ensure his team can't tell him off for being a distraction at a later point. So he's doing the right thing, for himself, and for his future team.

So that's 1 more person to look for on the combine and in the draft, to see where he ends up, and what he makes of himself in the NFL. You kind of automatically root for guys like this, and hope they have a good career, despite all the obvious media attention there will be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I just read about it. I always wondered where the first openly gay, active player would come from, but suspected it would be a young guy. The fact he's doing this BEFORE getting drafted is pretty couragous, even if the media seems to think it won't hurt his draft status. It's still a pretty big gamble to take that a team will take you despite the extra media attention it will give, and not take a similar player at your position without that media attention (given that he's not a first round talent and will likely be drafted in later rounds where there's more equality in player talent at a given position).

Then again it makes sense that if he's going to be open about his sexuality then doing it before the process starts will ensure his team can't tell him off for being a distraction at a later point. So he's doing the right thing, for himself, and for his future team.

So that's 1 more person to look for on the combine and in the draft, to see where he ends up, and what he makes of himself in the NFL. You kind of automatically root for guys like this, and hope they have a good career, despite all the obvious media attention there will be.
    I feel some people might draft him because of this, to get publicity.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, cause that worked so well for Manti T'eo last year. All the attention he got, and people shied away from him, and the team that DID draft him, drafted him cause they needed him, and promptly hid him from sight most of the year. No, I doubt a team would seek him out because of the media attention it would create.

Most teams dont want extra attention. Hell, the NFL might have to FORCE a team to be a part of its Hard Knocks series.

10+ Year Old Account
    like all those teams that signed Tebow?

the teams that will sign somebody FOR extra media attention are not in the NFL

the guy should make a NFL roster, so it will be good to see a gay athlete make it to the NFL and hopefully persevere enough that others in the same circumstance will know they can too

Its honestly pretty sad thats hes gonna get extra attention for such an unimportant reason. Im sure many of the people giving him the attention want to use it for the right reasons and/or are simply covering what people want to hear but I feel its sadly going to hurt this kid by giving him unneeded pressure (on top of trying to be a top NFL athlete) while also creating distractions around his team. I wish your sexual preference was looked at the same way all other preferences are... nobody cares.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Yeah, cause that worked so well for Manti T'eo last year. All the attention he got, and people shied away from him, and the team that DID draft him, drafted him cause they needed him, and promptly hid him from sight most of the year. No, I doubt a team would seek him out because of the media attention it would create.
    I agree, but that's a different story completely, IMO. He made up the story to get the publicity and things didn't go too well for him after it was known that he made the whole thing up. But I don't think there will be many people that would consider drafting this guy because he is gay, but obviously if he's a good player, then sure. But we all know how much Tebow likes Jesus and he has gotten more attention than just about anyone else these last two years and he's not even in the NFL because he's a mediocre QB. But anyone drafting a player just for publicity is doing it wrong and with a GM like that, are likely going to have a losing season. So who knows, maybe the Jets will draft him.
    Last edited by PBitt; 2014-02-10 at 05:03 AM.