Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

proposed waiting period for tattoos

there is a proposal in washington dc to institute a 24 hour waiting period on tattoos, to protect the public... from themselves. business owners say that this would destroy the industry. what are your guys' feelings on this?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...3a8_story.html

many sources available, if you dont like this one, google and take your pick.

personally im not a fan of this proposal. regulations regarding hygiene, great. regulations regarding drunk/otherwise incapacitated i can see reasonable arguments for. but for me this is crossing the line into unnecessary infringement, on top of creating a mountain of paperwork
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

I think its stupid to have a waiting period on tattoos. There is no way to enforce it, all it will lead to is additional fraudulent lawsuits that we already have way too many of.

10+ Year Old Account
    It won't be the first dumb law.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

I think just a sobriety test would be fine, regarding to both drugs and alcohol. 24H waiting period is just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Sobriety tests? OK. Mandatory waiting period? No. It assumes that 1) people are too incompetent to understand the consequences of their behavior and 2) that if they really are, that they'll somehow become more intelligent within 24 hours. How many people actually buy a tattoo on impulse as opposed to thinking it's a good idea until they have it, at which point they regret it? Because the former is the only thing this regulation might help prevent.
    Thats the best part of having a tattoo, being able to tell how fucked up you were when you got it.

How am I supposed to judge people with tattoos if the government stops them from marking themselves.

Deleted
    I don't see a problem with this. I wish we had similar rules here. People that get tattoo's are generally idiots...

Nothing wrong with making someone rethink that Slut tattoo above her vag or the man that thinks it's cool to tattoo tribal stuff above his junk.

It would appear the world is retardeding at a pace much more rapid than previously anticipated.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    business owners say that this would destroy the industry.
    If your industry relies on taking advantage of people making bad decisions, maybe your industry should be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    If your industry relies on taking advantage of people making bad decisions, maybe your industry should be destroyed.
    Almost every other industry ever says hi.

In my experience (not in a tattoo shop), customers are very demanding and impatient in most cases. I wouldn't be surprised in this case if the 24 hour waiting period that, if passed, will be upheld by reputable businesses causes them to lose customers to people who are willing to ignore it for an extra fee or whatever.
    In the context of DC (where this is proposed), I'd be surprised. I've been looking into getting ink here (I live just outside of DC) and all of the best shops have pretty significant waits to line up an appointment, and they're pretty serious about making sure people aren't making rash decisions. I think it'd only hurt fly-by-night type shops. I can't speak to other areas, I don't have any tattoos or experience in the industry, this is just from what I've looked into locally, which happens to be the locale of the story.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is a pointless violation of liberty that should not be enacted. That being said, tattoos remain monumentally stupid.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

I still oppose it just because it's essentially pointless for the reasons I outlined above.
    I'm probably inclined to agree. Making regulation needs compelling evidence that it does something useful, and I doubt that evidence exists here.

15+ Year Old Account
    I could really use that extra 24 hours to contemplate if i'd rather a dolphin or butterfly on my lower back.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm probably inclined to agree. Making regulation needs compelling evidence that it does something useful, and I doubt that evidence exists here.
    Im against it but maybe it could have stopped this

Yeah, not copying and pasting that.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I could really use that extra 24 hours to contemplate if i'd rather a dolphin or butterfly on my lower back.
    MmMmm Tramp stamp.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Åmbulance View Post
    Yeah, not copying and pasting that.
    Yeah was missclick.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it is kind of dumb but every tattoo I have gotten has pretty much had 24+ hours wait. Every tattoo I have gotten has gone like this:

Go to tattoo parlor and tell them what I want.
    Go in the next day to look at their artwork of what I wanted.
    Make appointment either later that day or the next day.

24 hour waiting period is really not going to stop anyone from doing tattoos they regret though. They'd be better off putting regulation on alcohol level for getting a tattoo(good shops won't tattoo someone drunk anyways).

Its not like you cant remove them. Sure its expensive, painful and you might still be able to tell a tattoo was there but you wont be able to tell how stupid it was.