Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Does that have to do with the media exaggerating the numbers? Like I said earlier, most of these crimes occur in the surrounding neighborhoods, and not in Chicago itself.
    It pretty much solely has to do with conservative media wanting to make the president look bad (he served in Chicago so by association the Fox News and Breitbarts of the world cannot report anything about the city that doesn't make it look like a horrible place to live) and due to slightly stricter gun laws than many big cities (a desperate grasp by the media to show that gun control cannot possibly decrease crime). As such, these numbers are reported without any context. In Chicago alone the homicide rate has plummeted in the last couple decades. Nor will you see these numbers compared to any other cities. Current homicide rate in Chicago is 15.2 per 100,000 where as a city like New Orleans is a rate of 57.6 per 100,000.

Here is a list of many of the major cities in the U.S.. Why is it that we only hear of the rate in Chicago. You'll notice a lot of other cities with rates higher. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._by_crime_rate

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    I think if you die and go to hell you end up in flint michigan.
    Yup this pretty much explains it...

The problem in these high crime areas are the citizens. They do not cooperate with police, they dont snitch. I mean not snitching is fine if you are in the mafia, but a regular person has a moral obligation to tell the police what they saw. Also many times even if they arent the ones actually commiting the crimes they are cheering the criminals on, which in itself is a crime as well.

The problem in these high crime areas are the citizens. They do not cooperate with police, they dont snitch. I mean not snitching is fine if you are in the mafia, but a regular person has a moral obligation to tell the police what they saw. Also many times even if they arent the ones actually commiting the crimes they are cheering the criminals on, which in itself is a crime as well.
    I'm always kind of confused by this "its the people there" argument. I mean are we thinking this through? Because if you're saying the people there are somehow different than people somewhere else with regards to criminality...

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I'm always kind of confused by this "its the people there" argument. I mean are we thinking this through? Because if you're saying the people there are somehow different than people somewhere else with regards to criminality...
    Yes I am saying they are different. They do not cooperate with police investigations. One example would be the baby that was recently killed in new york, Neither the father or the mother cooperated with police. That is horrible and unthinkable, I dont want people like them living near me.

Yes I am saying they are different. They do not cooperate with police investigations. One example would be the baby that was recently killed in new york, Neither the father or the mother cooperated with police. That is horrible and unthinkable, I dont want people like them living near me.
    Have you thought about what this would mean with regards to demographics? You're saying that blacks are inherently more criminal.

Have you thought about what this would mean with regards to demographics? You're saying that blacks are inherently more criminal.
    I dont believe I used the word black or even alluded to it.
    Last edited by Hooked; 2013-09-09 at 12:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It certainly seems like not cooperating with police is something unique to poor urban culture. It stems from a history of police abuse or perceived police abuse and an ironic feeling of community cohesion.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

I dont believe I used the word black or even alluded to it.
    Nope. You're just not thinking your position through. If crime is a function of the nature of people committing it then the logical extension of that is that certain demographics are more criminal fundamentally. You can't claim that crime rates in inner cities are because of the way the people are there while refusing to accept that that means claiming that black people are more criminal in nature than white people.

You guys seem to think that throwing money or troops at Detroit and Chicago will fix the problem. It won't. If you send troops, more people will die (troops and civilians). If you throw money at it, corrupt officials will use it to further their corruption.

Stop suggesting this crap.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    Which Syria do you want to help? The rebels that are made-up of and funded by, at least in part, known terrorist organizations? Or a dictator that may have used chemical weapons?

Which of those two do you want to help? Or do you want to stop borrowing money from China, and increasing our deficit, just to waste the money in a region where what we do and say DOES NOT MATTER?

I would LOVE to hear Obama (or any politician that supports intervention) openly admit that Al-Qaeda makes up a portion of the rebels. And while we are approaching the anniversary of their attack on us we should, you know, help them out in Syria.

EDIT:
    I love Chicago. It's been run by Democratic Mayors since 1931 (and Democratic Governors for the state since 2003). It's the birthplace of Obama's political career and a lot of his agenda (such as restrictive gun control) is in practice here. Hell, one of his former cabinet members has been running the show since 2011.

It's just a wonderful example of why more gun control DOESN'T help.
    Nope, neither. There isn't just the Assad regime vs Al Qaeda.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interfering in Syria doesn't help the US economy AT ALL. Fixing Chicago's crime problem boosts the economy of that city, the state of Illinois, and the country as a whole.

We go to Syria and get what exactly? More hatred from the international community? More money for the contractors raking in tax dollars hand over fist? No one wants our fucking help except for the rebels who will just turn on us later.
    Last edited by The One Percent; 2013-09-09 at 01:19 AM.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

I extremely localized example isn't terribly compelling evidence against gun control. When you can just leave the city and get a gun you can't expect local controls to matter much.

Its like how you still see a ton of drunk driving arrests in dry counties.
    Yep people forget this. For instance New York has strict gun control but it's not hard to get to PA or CT and get a gun, they're super close. People kind of forget this though.

We dump a lot of money into Chicago's communites, like we did in Detroit. However that's not going to help. Family structure is decaying among blacks which I believe is the root cause. Chicago has the strictest gun laws in the country. It doesn't stop them from getting them. We need to bring the Family Structure back. Alas I doubt anyone cares about it, and I'll be crucified on these boards for saying the truth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Yep people forget this. For instance New York has strict gun control but it's not hard to get to PA or CT and get a gun, they're super close. People kind of forget this though.
    You do know you cannot get a gun across state lines. That is illegal, and considered a straw purchase. Criminals will be Criminals, and will do what they want. However go ahead and make excuses for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tall, and thin, with a bright red head but strike me once and I'm black instead...
    I hated Chicago...
    It isn't just Chicago (though perhaps Chicago is the epicenter of it). The entire state of Illinois has a very icky zeitgeist to it. I lived in the Chatham/Springfield/Urbana area for years. We went to Chicago frequently as well. The whole state was just ... odd. I've never lived anywhere like it. The best I ever came to describing the 'vibe' I got when living in Illinois was calling it a prison. There was just a mean, grimy, cold, uncaring sense to the place that I've not experienced anywhere else as a "state". I've gotten the same sense in some parts of some cities, but I've never been in another place where it was as widespread and pervasive as the State of Illinois.

You couldn't pay me enough to move back to that place - and that's even if the state wasn't so horribly boring topography-wise. Brutally hot & humid summers and -60 degree wind chills in the winter to boot. Illinois. Bleh. If I never go back there it'll be too soon.

We dump a lot of money into Chicago's communites, like we did in Detroit. However that's not going to help. Family structure is decaying among blacks which I believe is the root cause. Chicago has the strictest gun laws in the country. It doesn't stop them from getting them. We need to bring the Family Structure back. Alas I doubt anyone cares about it, and I'll be crucified on these boards for saying the truth.
    How do we get the "family structure" back?

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Far from it, I can name a few dozen groups that are better off the top of my head.
    depends on what your goal is in that urban setting.

We could just use arty on every grid square that dares to fire a round at a soldier, but that would be a ton of overkill.

Warfare in a urbanized setting such as Chicago would be incredibly difficult.

How do we get the "family structure" back?
    Leadership. Instead of Race Hustling we need to get in there and help those families. Make dads responsible for their children and preach responsibility. Preach to young women and men that premature sex is not the answer and only leads to more problems. Saying is one thing, doing is another.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    Leadership. Instead of Race Hustling we need to get in there and help those families. Make dads responsible for their children and preach responsibility. Preach to young women and men that premature sex is not the answer and only leads to more problems. Saying is one thing, doing is another.
    That's really more rhetoric than I was hoping for. Was hoping for something more like an actual government policy

That's really more rhetoric than I was hoping for. Was hoping for something more like an actual government policy
    Well Detroit had plenty of .gov policy. How did that work out for them?