Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

8 months in prison for teaching people how to beat lie detector test

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/i...fraud-20181046

So apparently it's against the law to teach people to beat a lie detector test when you know that they intend to beat a federally administered test?

I feel like they're just making this shit up because they didn't like what he was doing, even though lie detector tests are pretty much bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't you want Federal Agents, of any sort, to be able to lie on those things? I mean, don't our intelligence agencies teach them just that, ya know, in case they're captured and really pathetically interrogated?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Don't you want Federal Agents, of any sort, to be able to lie on those things? I mean, don't our intelligence agencies teach them just that, ya know, in case they're captured and really pathetically interrogated?
    I'm more worried that they're arresting people for teaching other people how to beat a faulty test.

10+ Year Old Account

Case will be thrown out.

Quote Originally Posted by zerocoolhack View Post

Case will be thrown out.
    He was convicted, it's beyond having been thrown out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    He was convicted, it's beyond having been thrown out.
    Because he plead guilty

10+ Year Old Account
    Right decision was made.

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh. That seems silly.

On a somewhat related note, my understanding is that there are 2 ways to throw off (not so much "beat") a lie detector. While I'm sure there are some finer points I'm not aware of, the basic ideas seem to be
    a) remain completely calm. A lie detector works by measuring the momentary stress the body undergoes when you lie. This includes, I think, increased heart rate and blood flow. If you can stay perfectly relaxed while lying, you're not going to give off any readings. But this can be hard to do when you know what you say will have serious consequences, so the easier option is
    b) completely lose your shit. Most lie detector tests will start with some "calibration" questions, such as your name, the date, etc. Things that the interrogators already know the answer to. Just psych yourself out to the point where you could set off the lie detector by saying the sky is blue. Since the detector works by sensing sudden increases in nervousness, you can make it useless by being a nervous wreck the entire time.

Deleted
    Lie detectors aren't even reliable. Someone's who's anxious (like being interviewed with a lie detector attached to you may cause you to be) will seem to be lying on a lot more questions than they're actually lying on.

Also, pathological liars can easily cheat it because of how calm they are, and for knowing how to convince themselves of their own lies.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I find hysterical is that some people, like me, are basically immune to lie detector tests. They keep getting inconclusive results. When I was getting my security clearance renewed when I was in the Navy, what should've only taken about 30-45 minutes ended up lasting almost 5 hours, and at the end of it, the guy said he'd never seen anything like it. We ran the test 5 times, and each time all he got were erratic results that were neither positive nor negative. He said it basically looked like static lol. I have never once taken a lie detector test before this, I hadn't read up on any ways to cheat the system, nothing like that at all. I was a bit nervous at first obviously, but after the second freaking test I was just annoyed.

But this guy shows people how to do it, and he gets tossed in jail. Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

"Mr. Dixon chose to enrich himself by teaching others how to convincingly lie, cheat and steal," Phillips said.

In that case, they should arrest all the deans and professors in business and law schools in this country.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure I should even bring this up, but I've also been told that you can throw off a polygraph if you masturbate right before the test >.>

Which makes sense, seeing how that would effect your heart rate and general blood flow throughout your body.

Quote Originally Posted by zerocoolhack View Post
    Because he plead guilty
    Which is probably why he only got 8 months instead of life for 'threatening national security'.

Polygraphs shouldn't be used and I think there should be more people like this guy to enforce the feeling that they are useless. Right now, people still believe in them. Getting a false sense of security because a person passed a polygraph is bad, IMO.

There's more to this story.

He plead guilty to wire fraud, which means he probably taught somebody online or by phone, they failed their polygraph test then turned him in.

So it's not as much that he was teaching people to beat them, it's that he wasn't doing it effectively.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
    There's more to this story.

He plead guilty to wire fraud, which means he probably taught somebody online or by phone, they failed their polygraph test then turned him in.

So it's not as much that he was teaching people to beat them, it's that he wasn't doing it effectively.
    I'm not even sure how that would constitute fraud. Under that argument I could sue every single one of my teachers because I'm not a published political scientist.

Once a person teaches you something, it's up to you to apply it.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    What I find hysterical is that some people, like me, are basically immune to lie detector tests. They keep getting inconclusive results. When I was getting my security clearance renewed when I was in the Navy, what should've only taken about 30-45 minutes ended up lasting almost 5 hours, and at the end of it, the guy said he'd never seen anything like it. We ran the test 5 times, and each time all he got were erratic results that were neither positive nor negative. He said it basically looked like static lol. I have never once taken a lie detector test before this, I hadn't read up on any ways to cheat the system, nothing like that at all. I was a bit nervous at first obviously, but after the second freaking test I was just annoyed.

But this guy shows people how to do it, and he gets tossed in jail. Lol.

The detector shows nothing. It is all about interogating man watching your reaction, watching if you are trying to lie or avoid questions. The deivece itself is just an extra stress factror
    Last edited by Yadryonych; 2013-09-08 at 08:24 AM.

Yeah, The thing he plead guilty too and got jail time for was selling federal agents information on how to beat lie detector tests that turned out to be complete crap.

He also admitted he KNEW it was BS and he thought that what he taught was too simple to ever get in trouble for.
    Last edited by jwtelesio; 2013-09-08 at 08:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So apparently it's against the law to teach people to beat a lie detector test when you know that they intend to beat a federally administered test?
    ...nothing wrong with that...

Deleted
    Hasn't US federal courts held polygraphs to be Useless?
    also the fact he did it over the internet is moot, it cant be fraud because then they would have to prove he was useless at it and knew it, making their other charge completely Void.

Deleted
    I thought lie detector tests are never seen as something trivial in a trial, or am i wrong?
    If i'm not, I have wonder why it matters.