Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    It's funny you mention bombing, because using a nuclear weapon on Mars to gain access to sub-surface ice and shelter is an entirely legitmate and effective way to start building infrastructure on the planet.

It's been seriously explored by NASA in the past, and I'm sure will come up again. Because when not used to target enemies, what is a nuclear weapon? A really big explosion. And unless you're ready to ship thousands upon of tons of TNT and two dzen 60 ton Mining Construction vehicles to Mars, using a 500 pound nuclear weapon to do your hole digging for you makes a whole lot of sense.
    Yes, poisoning the ground with radiation for 30 years looks like a legit way start a colony.

"Welcome to the Moon, colonists. Have some complimentary cancer."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    It's funny you mention bombing, because using a nuclear weapon on Mars to gain access to sub-surface ice and shelter is an entirely legitmate and effective way to start building infrastructure on the planet.

It's been seriously explored by NASA in the past, and I'm sure will come up again. Because when not used to target enemies, what is a nuclear weapon? A really big explosion. And unless you're ready to ship thousands upon of tons of TNT and two dzen 60 ton Mining Construction vehicles to Mars, using a 500 pound nuclear weapon to do your hole digging for you makes a whole lot of sense.
    Using a nuke could be a good plan, but there is a setback even to that plan, namely the radiation such a blast would cause.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    You bombed the moon as well?!
    XD
    my exact thoghts

(an imaginary dialogue at nasa)

-sir, we believe that there is no water on the moon

-ok, let's test it

-but sir, there is no oil there as well

-ok, then we can bomb.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's been a while since I've read about the moon and the latest account was from a book made in the 1950's. But according to my source wasn't the Moon created from Earth during it's molten stage which wouldn't carry any water what so ever? The surface of the Earth where the crust is missing (Oceans) is actually what created the Moon? Large molten waves torn by the Suns gravitational pull eventually shot molten lead,iron etc into space where it revolved around the earth until it combined to form the Moon. And as the Earth cooled, the water vapor that was surrounding the Earth started to fall over millions of years which eventually filled up our Oceans?
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

If the moon was ever to be colonized, it would not be for practical reasons, but for experimental reasons. And it would be done in a time of great abundance. People wont live on the moon the same way they might someday live on Mars.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post

This has implications for potential lunar bases, as they wouldn't have local access to a water supply, therefore making permanent occupied establishments less viable.

[/SIZE]
    Wait a second you would drink moon water if there was ice on the moon?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Yes, by the cubic meters of them. Why would it be a problem to drink the ice of the moon if there is some?

You see how much people pay for earth water? Just think of how much they will fork out for moon water!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Wouldnt it be full of radiation and nasty stuff? Since the moon doesnt really have a field to protect itself from space.
    Couple of Brita filters...job done.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you see a Space Dumpster over there. Just leave it alone. Last thing we need is Rita Repulsa and Putin trying to conquer Earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Wouldnt it be full of radiation and nasty stuff? Since the moon doesnt really have a field to protect itself from space.
    -facepalm-

That's now how radiation works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    I can see humanity colonising the moon as a test to see if can actually do it, as if we can do it their, then we can do anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthless View Post
    Yes, by the cubic meters of them. Why would it be a problem to drink the ice of the moon if there is some?
    Maybe bacteria foreign pathogens I have no idea but I wouldn't drink it.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's why we invented le filter.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    That's why we invented le filter.
    The one that filters earth water.

10+ Year Old Account
    The one that filters earth water.
    What makes you think it would not work on moon water?

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    What makes you think it would not work on moon water?
    I don't know since I don't have moon water.
    Would you try it with out anyone testing it?

Quote Originally Posted by So bored View Post
    Yes, poisoning the ground with radiation for 30 years looks like a legit way start a colony.

"Welcome to the Moon, colonists. Have some complimentary cancer."
    I think the idea is that there wouldn't be an actual colony for over 30 years anyways so by the time it actually went into motion the radiation would be gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know since I don't have moon water.
    Would you try it with out anyone testing it?
    I'm not sure that a moon colonist would just pick up a chunk of ice and melt it to make a cup of tea without having tested it first, even if they are English and gasping for a cuppa.

If they found bacteria and foreign pathogens everyone would be overjoyed as they discovered real live aliens on the moon

Water is water, as long as it's not full of moon sand and not radioactive it should be fine

If there really is no water on the moon it's a huge setback. something that can and will be worked out for sure, but delaying a permanent moon-base by a couple of decades at least.

there's no way we will "import" water from earth to the moon, and we can't just, as someone said, condense water there in wet-rooms, that's not how space works.

I reccon we're going to get ahold of an ice asteroid and get the water we need from it.
    I've no idea what to write here.