Problem with playing at fullscreen after updating graphic driver

So I just updated my laptop graphic card driver. My laptop is a Dell XPS M1530, with Nvidia Geforce M8600 GT graphic card. Yes, I know it's old (almost 5-6 years old already IIRC). However, I have my own desktop to play game at home, and I only use my laptop for work and playing when I'm oversea on work trip (and can't play on my desktop). For that purpose it's working very smoothly so I don't feel any need to replace it anytime soon.

As 5.4 is coming, I want to prepare my laptop in case I have any work trip coming that may affect my raid schedule. While doing my normal maintenance routine, I think it would be nice to update my laptop graphic driver (as the last time I updated it was ~2010). I downloaded and updated it. The updating process ran smoothly and my wow's fps on laptop seems to improve a little bit. However, my fullscreen (in WoW only) isn't really fullscreen anymore. I'm running 1024x768 resolution on my laptop (although it's support 1400x900) since that give me a playable FPS during 25m raid (~7-10fps, a bit spiky but it was fine for me). Before the update, my WoW screen span to whole screen, even at 1024x768. However, after the update, if I use 1024x768 on fullscreen mode, there are black bars on the side making me wonders if this 1024x768 cover as much as it did before. If I set it on 1400x900, or 1024x768 using "windows (fullscreen) mode", it will again span to the whole screen, but both option would (I guess) lower my FPS so I don't really want to do that.

Is there anything I can do to make my 1024x768 Fullscreen mode to span to fullscreen again?

Thank you much in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Korialstrasz, Aman'thul, Proudmoore, Khaz'goroth, Stormrage, Lightbringer and Aerie Peak
    I'm assuming you set your game to Fullscreen using the option menu ingame? Or double click the main bar (blue bar) of your WoW.

Deleted
    Sounds like your graphics card is preserving aspect ratio when it goes fullscreen at the moment (1024x768 is 4:3, or 16:12, while 1400x900 is a 16:10), which is why you're getting the black bars.

Look for an option with wording like 'preserve aspect ratio' or 'stretching' in your graphics drivers?

Assuming it's running a recent Nvidia driver that's anything like the very latest of the 300 series, go to the Nvidia Control Panel -> Display -> Adjust desktop size and positioning, select your laptop's display (should be automatically selected, then change, where it says "Select a scaling mode", to either "Aspect ratio" (black bars on the sides, but doesn't make it distorted and stretched), or to "Full-screen" (no black bars, but it distorts and stretches the image). You may also need to change "Perform scaling on" to "GPU", if it's set to "Display". And finally, you may or may not need to tick "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs".

Thank you very much for your helps

Quote Originally Posted by Kanael
    I'm assuming you set your game to Fullscreen using the option menu ingame? Or double click the main bar (blue bar) of your WoW.
    Yes, i'm using the ingame option. Anything ouside of the game displayed properly, even a "Windowed (Fullscreen)" also stretched my WoW screen to fullscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by Faffin
    Sounds like your graphics card is preserving aspect ratio when it goes fullscreen at the moment (1024x768 is 4:3, or 16:12, while 1400x900 is a 16:10), which is why you're getting the black bars.
    Yes, I also guessed that was the case, but I'm not really familiar with the drivers stuff - rarely touched Nvidia Control Panel - so I wasn't able to find where the adjustments were (I tried Windows' adjustment, didn't work).

Quote Originally Posted by Yuyn
    Assuming it's running a recent Nvidia driver that's anything like the very latest of the 300 series, go to the Nvidia Control Panel -> Display -> Adjust desktop size and positioning, select your laptop's display (should be automatically selected, then change, where it says "Select a scaling mode", to either "Aspect ratio" (black bars on the sides, but doesn't make it distorted and stretched), or to "Full-screen" (no black bars, but it distorts and stretches the image). You may also need to change "Perform scaling on" to "GPU", if it's set to "Display". And finally, you may or may not need to tick "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs".
    This worked!

Again, thank you all very much =)