Deleted

Overcoming lag in 25 mans

Hi!

Since the lag on fights like Megaera is getting really bad, I want to do something about it. I don't mind turning down my graphics, but I need to see ground effects. It would be great if I can get advice for parts I should renew or if it would be better to invest in a new rig. My budget for new parts is around 200-300 Euro.

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (3198.2 MHz)
    ATI Radeon HD 5570
    ASRock 870 Extreme3 R2.0 (AMD SP5100 PCI Chipset)
    WDC WD6400AAKS-07A7B0 (640.1 GB)
    DDR-3 UDIMM 667 (1x4 GB, 2x2 GB)
    Win 7 (64 bit)

If you need any additional information please let me know

Greetings, Ryva

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You should buy a new graphics card.

A GTX 760 should fit in your budget.

Though you should definitely upgrade the rest ASAP.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's not lag. That's a bottleneck causing your frame rate to become choppy and is 9000% tied to your graphics card. If you were to upgrade, don't go for anything higher than a 7790 or nVidia equivalent as you could potentially run in to another bottleneck with your processor and is more than adequate when it comes to a 'medium' resolution of 1680x10something.

Also, more RAM doesn't hurt when it's as cheap as it is. I could swim in a pool of RAM like Scrooge McDuck in his money vault and it wouldn't break the bank.

Dumping a chunk of your budget in to a 760 would mean you'd be skimping out on other parts or simply unable to pull together the required hardware for it to all run in harmony. It could 'future proof' you in to building a rig down the road but, with your current setup, you would be hard pressed to see the full potential of a 760 riding on that processor.

It's like buying a speedboat but you're only allowed to use paddles and all your friends don't want to hang out with you because all they eye contact as you sit there crawling across the lake would be really, really awkward.

So, band aid fix the current issue and sell what you bought down the road for a loss, torment yourself with buying each piece at a time which is the route I often take, or wait till you can build a rig in one transaction at the cost of patience.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2013-09-09 at 06:05 AM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

The two most important graphics settings for raiding is Projected Textures and Particle Density; the rest can be turned down.

Deleted
    Thanks for the quick replies. I wasn't sure whether it is the graphics card or cpu, since I often read that wow is cpu heavy.

So for updating the graphics card, which one would be my best choice out of those 3:

gtx 650 2GB TI http://www.amazon.de/Gigabyte-NVIDIA...cp_computers_2
    gtx 660 2GB http://www.amazon.de/ASUS-GTX660-DC2...I1ZXG0TL4GV6MO
    ATI HD 7850 1GB http://www.amazon.de/Sapphire-Grafik...=IRJ90D5AZ4D1T

@yurano
    I know, so those two settings are the only ones not set to low^^ I will also try and setup my ui for 1680x10xx, maybe that is a nice gain from 1980x10xx as well for the first id.
    Last edited by mmoce29d9f12d5; 2013-09-09 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustweaver View Post
    That's not lag. That's a bottleneck causing your frame rate to become choppy and is 9000% tied to your graphics card.
    While I 100% agree with you, be careful saying that here. Some people will get all uppity about how frame rate issues can be called "lag."
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Ryva View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies. I wasn't sure whether it is the graphics card or cpu, since I often read that wow is cpu heavy.

So for updating the graphics card, which one would be my best choice out of those 3:

gtx 650 2GB TI http://www.amazon.de/Gigabyte-NVIDIA...cp_computers_2
    gtx 660 2GB http://www.amazon.de/ASUS-GTX660-DC2...I1ZXG0TL4GV6MO
    ATI HD 7850 1GB http://www.amazon.de/Sapphire-Grafik...=IRJ90D5AZ4D1T

@yurano
    None of the three, GTX 760 is what you should get.

In your case both the processor and the graphics card are a problem for 25man raiding.

I will also try and setup my ui for 1680x10xx, maybe that is a nice gain from 1980x10xx as well for the first id.
    If you have 1920x1080 monitor the end results will almost certainly look bad if you turn game settings lower than that. LCD monitors should always be used at their real native resolution.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    I'm screwed as it seems. For raiding I would need a better CPU. But that would be an intel, so I have to change the mainboard.

I could update my computer with a new graphics card and a new AMD CPU for a total of roughly 230 Euro, following the setup of the month (HD 7770 + FX 6300). Would this be enough to play in 25 mans with stable fps and no "lag"? I really do not care about pretty graphics, I only want stable fps during a boss fight, even when there is a lot of ground and spell effects going on at the same time.
    Last edited by mmoce29d9f12d5; 2013-09-09 at 11:01 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't care about graphics and just want the game to run, I see no reason why the HD 7770 and FX 6300 wouldn't be smart buys, but I think once you see WoW maxed out at high fps, you never want to not see that again.

It looks pretty damn nice...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water