Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ritalin Experiences

The short and sweet back ground. I'm 33 and recently decided to go back to college. I've had some difficulty concentrating so I went to see my doctor about it. I have had some significant attention/concentration problems in the past when I was in school and college in my younger yeras, but frankly just handled it the best I could with limited success. I left college at the age of 21 and joined the military for 11 years with great success. He suggested I try some medication, methylphenidate (ritalin). I hate this crap. The first dose I take, I feel like I'm high, a ball of anxiety and my muscles are so tense that I can't sit still. My heart feels like its working over time and I feel like I can't get enough air when I breathe. I feel sick to my stomach the forst half of the day until the second dose. My concentration, however, is amazing. I feel like I can see everything in the world and I'm acutely aware of it. Mean while my mind feels like I can onlt focus on one thing. I can no longer multitask like I used to.

Has anyone else taken this medication for attention/concentration problems? What were your experiences? have you tried any other medications? How were they for you?

The medication helps, but I'm not sure I can deal with the side effects.
    Quote Originally Posted by TotalBiscuit View Post
    And here we come to the entire crux of the matter. Millions of people also listen to Justin Bieber, doesn't mean it's good music.

Yeah, thats something else I;ve experienced. I can be hungry, but the smell or thought of food makes me want to vomit. I'm only eating once a day now. My fear is if I stop taking the medication I'll just fuck off in school and not do well.
    And here we come to the entire crux of the matter. Millions of people also listen to Justin Bieber, doesn't mean it's good music.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Only thing Ritalin ever did for my ADHD was nothing. It did make me lose 40lbs in a month though because for whatever reason it's the only pill I've ever had to take that didn't have a time release coating. As soon as I took it even trying to eat a fun size candy bar made me want to vomit.

I'm not a big fan of medication to fix the problem though and what I've found helps a lot (though it's not perfect) is simply taking notes in class as a way of engaging myself. I never need to study and rarely ever look at them again, but it gives me something to do to help me stay focused on the class.
    Ritalin made my stomach turn and made me feel like my brain was on fire.

You are not suppose to take that unless you have ADHD? People with ADHD takes it because it's suppose to "relax" them, while if "non ADHD" take them they get a "similar - high" as speed or cocain.

I have taken them, but i took them to get high.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

Quote Originally Posted by Aspect of Death View Post
    You are not suppose to take that unless you have ADHD? People with ADHD takes it because it's suppose to "relax" them, while if "non ADHD" take them they get a "similar - high" as speed or cocain.

I have taken them, but i took them to get high.
    It makes you focused as shit, whether you have ADHD or not. But the side effects are nasty.

Apparently I have Adult ADD. I too feel like my brain is on fire. Days like today when I don't have class. I get up, take my first dose, shower and get dressed. I usually have little to do. Clean my apartment, a little homework, and maybe a few errands to run. Days like this, I want to be a little lazy and relax. I can't. I don't fee like I can sit still enough to play a video game for more than 5 seconds. I have so much anxiety that I don't want to go outside. I'm afraid to work out because my heart already feels like its going to burst.

My next appointment is in almost a month. I'm going to ask to either be taken off and try something new or a reduced dose. I should have known there were going to be some unpleasant side effects when my doctor told me at the next appointment I'll get an ECG.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    It makes you focused as shit, whether you have ADHD or not. But the side effects are nasty.

Honestly, I feel like the guy from the movie Limitless when I'm on it or that I'm going so fast and the world is going slow and I can see every single detail. I mean, I was in the military for pretty much my entire adult life and attention to detail is driven into us. Its like that skill was taken and amplified by a thousand.

I will say that the mild depression I had is gone. It mainly revolved around being 33 and not having finished college and having to start over since I left the Military. Maybe the side effects will go away in time?

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Oow, i have no idea really, "my old-street knowlege on pills" is not that advanced! I don't really remember what effect they had on me mixed with alcohol and prob speed/weed/cocain at the time. (I was fucked up)
    I did get some "scary side effect" from another "brand" of ADHD meds though (My hand would twich randomly).. but it wasn't Ritalin
    Last edited by Aspect of Death; 2013-09-09 at 02:21 PM.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

Kinda sounds like you are taking it when you don't have ADD. I have taken it for years (and have ADD) and have never had any of these effects you all are speaking of. Other than the ability to follow through and complete tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by dark666105 View Post
    Kinda sounds like you are taking it when you don't have ADD. I have taken it for years (and have ADD) and have never had any of these effects you all are speaking of. Other than the ability to follow through and complete tasks.
    You get side effects even if you have a condition. Just because you personally don't have it don't mean they do not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by dark666105 View Post
    Thats something I have problems with if I'm not taking it, I just don't follow through and complete stuff. I guess I have to figure out if the side effects out weigh the benefits. I was hoping to get some feedback from folks that used some of the nonstimulant ADD medications. I would be interesting in seeing how that fairs. I suppose I could do some research online to compare the two. I just prefer personal testimony and experience than clinical trial results.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In a similar situation with Aderral. I always had a problem with my ADHD growing up. From forgetting to where I put things to walking around in a grocery store for 15 mins before realizing I went there for particular items that I can't recall.

Aderral curbs my appetite to the point to where I don't want to eat anything. At most, i'll eat one meal or two small meals in a given day (When not on it, I smash)

It helps me focus for sure, but it feels as though my emotions are easily pushed over and I hype out over simple stuff. At times, debates I've had on the forums got me very upset while on adderral and I've gotten irate at times as well.

Not sure if I should take it anymore to be honest. I don't like it at all and I distrust medication that changes me mentally and apparently caused sudden death.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2013-09-09 at 04:00 PM.

I started going back to college last year and I had Concerta prescribed for it. Concerta is also Methylphenidate. The starting dose of it is 18mg in a time released tablet, I take the 36mg tablets. As long as you don't try to break the time release you won't be hit with all of the medication at once. I more so take it to stay awake, but at the same time I do tend to start day dreaming as well in class. 1 tablet will keep me awake during class throughout the day, but I have also noticed that I gain focus while I am on it. Amphetamine type medications are usually rough at first, but if you keep taking them your body will start to develop a tolerance to it and the effect will become less intense.

Overall the medication does help, but it just depends on if you want to keep taking it until your tolerance builds up enough for some of the side effects to go away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Visharan View Post
    Has anyone else taken this medication for attention/concentration problems? What were your experiences? have you tried any other medications? How were they for you?
    I took a all day time release version called Cylert, which is no longer legal to make, my senior year of highschool. I also had problems staying on task my first attempt at college and I was no longer taking medication. I went back to college at 33 and graduated last year with no medication I just forced myself to have no choices but do my work. I wouldn't go home until I had all my studying or homework done. If you go to secluded places on campus it is fairly easy.

The medication helps, but I'm not sure I can deal with the side effects.
    I mean the only side effect I noticed was I was extremely alert and was less patient than normal. Cylert was found to cause liver failure in some people which is why it is no longer used. I was a test case for it and had to get blood drawn like twice a month.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Visharan View Post
    Yeah, thats something else I;ve experienced. I can be hungry, but the smell or thought of food makes me want to vomit. I'm only eating once a day now. My fear is if I stop taking the medication I'll just fuck off in school and not do well.
    Welcome to the speed diet. Ever seen a fat meth-head?

I was on it as a kid. Just made me a drone.

Sounds like your dosage is way off. You're supposed to start off with a very low dose and increase it (each day or two) until you get a dosage that gives you slight jitters like having too much caffeine, then you back it down to just below that feeling - theoretically, that's your target dosage. If your doctor just gave you a high, flat dosage, you need to find a new doctor. It's also possible that you just aren't the right fit for that drug. There are many other types that affect ADD and ADHD, including non-stimulants. Get a new doc or be a lot more forthcoming with your existing one. When it comes to medicine, you must be your own advocate.

Also, as a note, Nixx is incorrect on two counts: 1) stimulants are not always the way to go, and 2) the current theory is not a lack of brain activity, but a lack of certain chemicals in the brain - usually, but not solely, related to neurotransmitters like dopamine.
    Last edited by DSRilk; 2015-05-27 at 07:48 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I take Adderall and don't really have a lot of the negative side effects, all it really does is improve my focus. If you have no appetite or are jittery then your dose is probably too high.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    In a similar situation with Aderral. I always had a problem with my ADHD growing up. From forgetting to where I put things to walking around in a grocery store for 15 mins before realizing I went there for particular items that I can't recall.

Aderral curbs my appetite to the point to where I don't want to eat anything. At most, i'll eat one meal or two small meals in a given day (When not on it, I smash)

It helps me focus for sure, but it feels as though my emotions are easily pushed over and I hype out over simple stuff. At times, debates I've had on the forums got me very upset while on adderral and I've gotten irate at times as well.

Not sure if I should take it anymore to be honest. I don't like it at all and I distrust medication that changes me mentally and apparently caused sudden death.
    My experiences are pretty much this. Plus really really sweaty palms and feet.

It never really made me feel jacked up. I used to eat my morning pill with coffee.

College with Ritalin is like life on easy mode.

Many people are abusing it for that reason. If it makes you sick, you should consider dropping it, but if it gets better, it will help you out a ton.

Deleted
    Does everybody have ADHD on MMO C?