Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

So someone just got threatened

Mod can lock this thread, got things sorted out now.
    Last edited by mmoc3f67c9dfe8; 2013-09-10 at 05:49 AM.

Deleted
    Your a pretty shitty officer if you already decided to kick 2 before seeing the screenshot. Also many people complaining can be a result of many people not liking the guy without him actually doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Vattenmelon View Post
    I am officer and raidleader in a raiding/social guild, and I was doing some dailies when a guy from the guild whispers me:

1:Hi, who should I talk to if I have problem with someone in the guild?
    Me: I am officer so you can talk with me.
    1:Good, I was talking with this guy <2> and he was drugged and like a psycho and he has been threatening me and my children, and said racist things to me, that's not anyone I want to have in the guild. He has whispered me bad stuff for a while now.
    Me: Can you send me a screenshot of the chat it would help a lot.
    1: Sure will send you one.

The guy (2, as I will call him), is a person who is very special... very very low intelligence, always trying to talk with me, writes extremely poorly (to the point where I sometimes must ask him to clarify himself) and always talk about stupid things. I have also talked on skype with him and some other people from the guild thinks he's an idiot.

So I called 2 on skype and said to him that one person from the guild got threatened by you. He was very quiet on skype. Then he starts writing to me in game, and he says that he hasn't threatened anyone, though he says that he has talked with 1 and that it was just a joke and he didn't think 2 would get mad at him. 2 also makes a very short and badly written copy of the conversation between them, it's so poorly written that the context is hard to understand and it contains the n word.

Now I am going to kick 2 from the guild since he is a massive #@%&hole, and many have complained about him, but the strange thing is that 1 goes offline shortly after I've talked with him, and when he comes online some hours later and ask him for a screenshot he doesn't answer and goes offline. That makes me unsure about what really happened.

Just wanted to vent a little bit since this was a kinda shocking thing to deal with.

If I were him, I'd be pissed off at you for telling number 2 that it was number 1 that complained, especially after he's felt 'threatened' by him. He may have been ignoring you to avoid cursing you out. At least that's the way I read it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Your a pretty shitty officer if you already decided to kick 2 before seeing the screenshot. Also many people complaining can be a result of many people not liking the guy without him actually doing something wrong.
    Maybe not should kick him, very hard to decide really, the thing is a lot of people have said that he is very rude sometimes.

What on earth did I read and why did I read it?

If nobody likes this person, and he is so stupid that you cannot even converse with him, just kick him anyway. Then you keep asking for the screenshot from person 1, and then if you don't get a response you kick him too for being a liar. Isn't that how guild drama's are meant to go?
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeConqueror View Post
    If I were him, I'd be pissed off at you for telling number 2 that it was number 1 that complained, especially after he's felt 'threatened' by him. He may have been ignoring you to avoid cursing you out. At least that's the way I read it.
    I didn't actually tell him that it was number 1 who complained about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    What on earth did I read and why did I read it?

If nobody likes this person, and he is so stupid that you cannot even converse with him, just kick him anyway. Then you keep asking for the screenshot from person 1, and then if you don't get a response you kick him too for being a liar. Isn't that how guild drama's are meant to go?
    I never intended to kick 1 or kick him now, because he has never done anything bad he nearly never chat.
    Last edited by mmoc3f67c9dfe8; 2013-09-09 at 09:04 PM.

Your a pretty shitty officer if you already decided to kick 2 before seeing the screenshot.
    It's not that he decided to kick 2, it's that he's waffling about justifying kicking 2 even though he wants to. He knows why he should kick 2 and for whatever reason hasn't.

Whether their fault or not, doing something wrong or not, someone causing a disturbance in your guild is a problem and if that person doesn't contribute anything useful and meaningful to the guild and multiple people are complaining about him, then, how long do you put the needs of the one before the needs of the many?

Then how did they know about the conversation they had?

You should have probably addressed it differently. Based on what you said, it sounds like he DID threaten someone (even if he was joking it doesn't seem like it came off that way) and that's not to be taken lightly. Nor is it to be accepted. Your job as an officer is pretty much to make sure that people don't act like dicks. This guy apparently did, and it's likely not the first time.

At the same time, the other person does owe you some "proof" even if it's seemingly clear that it happened. If they can't provide that proof, then you have to make a judgment call.

Ah, misread then. Who knows? Maybe he was just in a bad mood after that? Or maybe one of his kids logged on to mess around instead? I know some parents tell their kids not to reply to messages from people they don't know and since the kid doesn't know you he didn't reply? Tons of possible reasons for this. Only 1 would know; just give him some time to cool off and then follow up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remind 1 that he could use the ignore feature

10+ Year Old Account
    I always say kick first, ask questions later. It isn't a democracy by any standards. And I don't say that out of meanness, it is very difficult to maintain order in on-line communities, especially if it is a larger one. If he is innocent you can always apologize and reinstate him. If that isn't good enough for him, tough shit, that's what he gets for involving himself in such stupidity.

Addendum: If you were friends it would be a different story, but that doesn't quite seem like the case. If a (mostly) anonymous person starts trouble, you purge.
    Last edited by Callace; 2013-09-09 at 09:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    People aren't entitled to be in your guild. Whether 2 has done anything wrong or not, people in the guild don't like him. Kick him, it's as simple as that. It works the same way in the business world - You can do your job just fine and do nothing actually wrong, but if everyone in the company hates you, you will quickly find yourself fired.

Deleted
    I will let both cool off a bit and if neither of them complains about the other one again then I can probably let them be. Was wrong of me to judge 2 just like that.

Further, you said two things that basically tell me you should just give him the boot.

1. The person feeling threatened says the other guy was using racist language towards him.

2. The person accused acknowledged they used the word(s) but "didn't think they'd get mad" at them.

That just shows poor judgment not to mention even poorer people skills. You're spending too much time over someone who seems to be not worth it.

Whether he threatened 1 or not, you should kick 2 anyways if he is causing issues with many people in the guild. It's best to kick one person and be done with it, rather than risk losing people because they were threatened or annoyed with this guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was wrong of me to judge 2 just like that.
    Did he not earn it?

I will let both cool off a bit and if neither of them complains about the other one again then I can probably let them be. Was wrong of me to judge 2 just like that.
    Really? Huh.

Something tells me you're keeping something quiet. This guy a buddy of yours or something? Why are you fighting this hard to keep someone in guild who already has a bad reputation and then is accused of threatening someone while admitting they were using insulting racist language towards that person?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    It's not that he decided to kick 2, it's that he's waffling about justifying kicking 2 even though he wants to. He knows why he should kick 2 and for whatever reason hasn't.
    Some people complaining without proof isn't a legit reason. If he wants to kim him for not liking the guy that's fine, but don't try to beat around the bush about it. I hate all this backstabbing bullshit...got something to say, do it to his face (so to speak, over vent or ingame).

Quote Originally Posted by Togarox View Post
    Whether he threatened 1 or not, you should kick 2 anyways if he is causing issues with many people in the guild. It's best to kick one person and be done with it, rather than risk losing people because they were threatened or annoyed with this guy.
    I agree with this, but I still stand by the opinion that OP isn't being a good officer going around peoples back to justify kicking someone. You got a certain rank in the guild, act by it or step down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    Way to judge before having proof. You are rather irresponsible.
    Keeping him is irresponsible. He admitted to it. Better to get him out of there before he does more harm.