Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Well that would be nice but not even 128 gb would be enough. More storage isn't a bad thing though.
    that is exactly the problem, for music junkies, 128 is not nearly enough, 1TB is probably closer to reality, so if 128 is not enough, why bother with the extra cost?

its not that i can't fill my phone, i could do that easily, its that i recognize that it is a portable device, used to supplement existing setups, which is why i stream my music to my phone, if i know im going to be in a place without cell reception, i will download a few albums onto my phone before hand, but aside from that, the advantage to a cloud connected device is that you don't need storage, why spend a ton extra on storage on a phone with has poor software for handling large libraries, when you can just leave your music on a NAS at home and stream it directly to you

You guys can have fun spending loads of cash on the same thing over and over again, because face it, it will just be the same thing.

As much as I want to continue, I won't. However, I'll point you into the direction of my signature. VVV
    "It's clear this is another bash Apple thread. Such things are not conducive to a good discussion."

WRONG! Those are the BEST discussions!

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do you really need your ENTIRE library though? Surely you could choose your select favorite songs and go with those? :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Youarefired View Post
    You guys can have fun spending loads of cash on the same thing over and over again, because face it, it will just be the same thing.

As much as I want to continue, I won't. However, I'll point you into the direction of my signature. VVV
    Read the thread and you'll find people are more bashing the OP's thoughts on what the new phone could have, or rather should have, than Apple.

We have some pretty strict guidelines in the computer forums about brand-bashing.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    why? smartphones are not workstations, a quad core is already ridiculous, in reality they don't need anything more than a dual core

again with the why, these are not running windows 8 pro x64

also pointless, you don't need high res on a 4" screen, you'd never see the difference anyway, all more pixels do is waste battery life

i have 16GB of storage (not ram) and i have yet to come close to filling it, what would you need 128GB for, i know Bill gates is famous for his never need more than 640K of ram statement, but we really have reached a point where we can safely say "that'll do"
    I disagree. Games can use a massive amount of resources, both memory and cpu power. The more available, the better it will run (and they can write the program with the extra resources in mind) ... not to mention multitasking is greatly improved with improved cpu architecture and more ram.

Some people have a much higher acuity in their vision. I can see the pixels on my old iPhone and on my Wife's Galaxy. If they make the screen bigger, it better damn well be higher res; ultra fine pixel pitch is important to me; hell that is why I have a 23" 1080 monitor, if I went any bigger I'd need 2560x1440 ... anything close to your face like a phone or monitor requires a fine dot pitch for people with clear vision.

batter life isn't an issue, at least for me. I have a charger in the house and one for the car for a reason; though I can easily go a few days in between charges even while using it quite often.

I have 32 GB of storage with 8 GB free. I have 69 GB of music in my main music folder, with several gigs elsewhere and tons of music I've been too lazy to put on my drive. Not to mention I have >100 apps. I have videos and make videos ... add in pictures, downloaded and taken myself. I keep free space in case I need it, or it'd be full. 128 GB would put me close to being able to have my entire music collection, as well as everything else I want, while still having extra storage in case I find a situation I need to take a ton of pictures or a long video (or few).

So, you may not use your 'smart' phone to its fullest; but I use it to its fullest for what I like to do. For the investment in both purchase and keeping service active, I damn sure am not going to let it idle long; and I can definitely see where more power, ram, and storage would've made the experience better, even though it is far better than the 4 and works better than my wife's galaxy (incl battery life).

Sounds like you just need a stripped down basic smartphone; so 'S' models and even the 5 itself isn't really for you; you could be happy with a iPhone 3 or 4 just the same it seems.

Some of us, no matter how advanced it is; could find use for more. Different folks, different strokes?

Need and want are two different things ... OP said hope and want btw.

I want my phone to have a 5 GHz quad-core and 8 GB RAM. It doesn't 'need' it. Neither does my PC need the specs it does, but it does come in handy once in a while.

As far as music; I use the capacity as one would use a large capacity iPod. Hell, the music app used to be called 'iPod' on iPhones. For those of use who like a large variety of music, it comes in handy, moreso if you are going on a long trip. If 3G/LTE is available and consistent, I'd probably be using Pandora One anyway; but that isn't a guarantee; so having large selections of various genres of music that fits my wife and I. Pandora cuts out? Switch to one of the playlists that fit us for that moment. Hell, I have 3 George Carlin audiobooks and several of his concerts that are nice to listen to at random times.

I paid for my music, I have a device (or could have one) that can hold almost all my music in one specific place, instantly accessible ... why wouldn't I want it all on that device? Why would I want to go through the hassle of deleting and syncing large libraries of music for different moods, when I can have large playlists of all genres, without hassle, on the one device?

I mean, that would be like telling people to not use MP3 discs to store tons of songs, when they can just switch out CDs ... why have 1-200 songs on a single disc? Because that 6 disc changer can hold 600-1200 songs vs 60-120 songs. That is a huge difference in convenience/QoL.

That same theory works for digital music storage. I could use my old 16 GB iPod, or a 8 GB USB drive for music on the go; but if I had a 128 GB iPod, I could have my entire music library on it. My music library is conservative atm because of laziness; but if I had everything on my hdd; I'd still have to be selective

Again, this is a lifestyle choice. You'd prefer to switch out stuff regularly. I prefer to have all my favorites, plus my wife's favorites, plus a lot other stuff I enjoy. Even with what I've put on my iPhone, I've been caught out and not having a song we were looking for. I don't want to be bothered constantly micromanaging my phone's music library; I'd rather just have it all there, so I know whatever I want, it will be there when I want it.

Just different ways of doing it; neither is wrong; the limited view wouldn't work for the one who wants it; while the extra doesn't really hurt the one who doesn't care
    Last edited by CandyCotton Marshmallows; 2013-09-10 at 04:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    @Cyanotical, well, I see you only use your phone to make phone calls and maybe check Facebook to laugh at inux with me.
    actually, i removed facebook from my phone, i don't really like the ToS allowing them to access my mic and camera anytime they want

Frankly, storing music on it (and NOT streaming it because of data use, you aren't ALWAYS around WiFi, much less free open WiFi centers) and having ample room to take videos and pictures, in the way I do, I found the 32GB card I had in my Galaxy S4 wasn't even enough, I had to choose which songs to put on, and so on and so forth.
    the thing is, like most techies, i have a backpack of electronic goodies, i rarely use my phone simply because i have better devices on me, and even with the hundreds of photos on my phone, its not near full

data is one thing, but quite honestly i'm rarely without wifi, granted i don't live in the same area, and wifi is pretty prevalent in denver, so about the only time im on 4g is in my car

@OP, unlike Cyanotical, I realize that 1080p screens for phones are awesome, they actually do give a difference, and let you look at your pictures and videos, while taking them, with better clarity. Frankly, we've gotten to a point now where if Apple proceeded to put a 720p screen on a phone, I'd really question their motives.
    you specifically know exactly why you don't need 1080 on a 4" screen, it's the exact opposite but realted reason you don't by a 1080 monitor larger than 24", pixel density, above a certain level, you do not see a sharper image

I agree with Cyanotical on, 8 core? Are you kidding?
    The Octa core found on the Galaxy S4 isn't a true 8 core processor, but its function looks great (on paper anyways). Having two processor packages in the same phone is a great idea. A low power processor to handle day to day low power activities like background programs. A high performance processor to handle the latest and greatest games, webpage decoding/rendering, Google map rendering etc.

On another note, here's an article that discusses whether 8GB of storage is enough. It cites several storage hog applications:

Quote Originally Posted by USA Today
    Only a thimbleful of apps, such as Apple's 496 MB iMovie and action games like Asphalt 8: Airborne, 884 MB on an iPhone, and Grand Theft Auto III, 1.2 GB on an Android phone, make a meaningful dent in your device's capacity.
    Having a decent amount of storage (eg. 16GB free, after all of the OS memory is accounted for) seems like a reasonable request.
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-09-10 at 04:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    Sounds like you just need a stripped down basic smartphone; so 'S' models and even the 5 itself isn't really for you; you could be happy with a iPhone 3 or 4 just the same it seems.
    oh no, i would buy the 5S, even moreso if it came loaded out with high specs, im not exactly the kind of person that settles on lower end parts

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    The more available, the better it will run
    also, that is completely false, if it were true, we wouldn't constantly recommend the quad core i5

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it's good to find that happy medium, that's for sure. Octacore CPUs... are not quite yet there... I have a feeling within a few years though, Intel will start pushing them.

That is if software developers ever decide to enter the 2010s. -.-
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Passwords can be guessed and cracked, Fingerprints can't. I also doubt it's going to be mandatory.
    You completely miss the point. Which is that it is the wet dream of Big Brother to have everyone in the world's biometric data stored in a person-associated device that Big Brother has full access to. Mandatory or not.

The naivete and short-sightedness among the general population who never seems to see further than 6 months ahead, never stops amazing me.

Read the thread and you'll find people are more bashing the OP's thoughts on what the new phone could have, or rather should have, than Apple.

We have some pretty strict guidelines in the computer forums about brand-bashing.
    Read my post and you'll find that I didn't have any intention of talking about his thoughts.

Posting just to brand bash or troll is not permitted. - Cilraaz

Neither is editing infraction messages. - Cilraaz

k
    Last edited by Youarefired; 2013-09-13 at 12:42 AM.
    "It's clear this is another bash Apple thread. Such things are not conducive to a good discussion."

WRONG! Those are the BEST discussions!

People actually care about an overpriced, underperforming piece of shit compared to the competition? I mean seriously....when are people going to wake up and realize they're paying a premium price for technology that is subpar when compared to the competitors'? Apple products have been a joke for years now. The only reason Apple is still doing as well as it is, is because it has a huge rabid base of fanbois who are willing to sell their left kidney for the newest piece of shit Apple pukes out of their sweatshops. Anyone who thinks an iphone is better in any way than say, a galaxy s4 or note 3 seriously needs their brain examined. Apple tech hasn't been relevant for years....people are just to stupid to realize that they should stop buying the crap.

And for those wondering...I've used a Galaxy S3 and an iPhone 5 quite extensively. I own the S3, and my wife owns the iPhone 5. And I can say that, hands down, the S3 blows the iPhone 5 out of the water. Even more so now with the S4 on the market. I tried to convince my wife that she doesn't need an iphone, but she wouldn't listen because she is one of those mindless Apple drones you see standing in line to get the next piece of shit Apple product.

See the infraction note in the post above yours. It applies here as well. - Cilraaz

So I get infracted for stating the obvious about Apple and their products? Seriously? I'm guessing you're an Apple fanboi?

Actually, I very much dislike Apple in both their product lines and business ethics. However, if you're going to "state the obvious", try to do it with actual facts instead of just brand bashing. As a hint, "overpriced, underperforming piece of shit" isn't a fact. - Cilraaz
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2013-09-10 at 05:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Youarefired View Post
    Read my post and you'll find that I didn't have any intention of talking about his thoughts.
    Then maybe you shouldn't post at all.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    People actually care about an overpriced, underperforming piece of shit compared to the competition? I mean seriously....when are people going to wake up and realize they're paying a premium price for technology that is subpar when compared to the competitors'? Apple products have been a joke for years now. The only reason Apple is still doing as well as it is, is because it has a huge rabid base of fanbois who are willing to sell their left kidney for the newest piece of shit Apple pukes out of their sweatshops. Anyone who thinks an iphone is better in any way than say, a galaxy s4 or note 3 seriously needs their brain examined. Apple tech hasn't been relevant for years....people are just to stupid to realize that they should stop buying the crap.

And for those wondering...I've used a Galaxy S3 and an iPhone 5 quite extensively. I own the S3, and my wife owns the iPhone 5. And I can say that, hands down, the S3 blows the iPhone 5 out of the water. Even more so now with the S4 on the market. I tried to convince my wife that she doesn't need an iphone, but she wouldn't listen because she is one of those mindless Apple drones you see standing in line to get the next piece of shit Apple product.
    care to back that up with something technical and not just simple fanboy/anti-fanboy rhetoric?

15+ Year Old Account
    Thread Warning

There is to be no brand bashing or trolling people just because they like one brand or another. Lets bring it down a few notches.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    care to back that up with something technical and not just simple fanboy/anti-fanboy rhetoric?
    Pretty sure it's obvious to anyone who's read anything on the internet for the past 4 or 5 years. Compare a Mac computer to a Windows PC equivalent and you'll see that you pay ALOT more for the apple product while getting a product that severely limits what you can do. Compare the specs of any smartphone equivalent to the current iPhone and you'll see the apple tech is lagging behind, but Apple is still charging the same price as the competition. Unbiased reviews say it all.

Just like how I laugh my ass off every time I'm walking through Best Buy and the Apple Store guy starts hounding me to come over and check out the latest Mac computer. I usually politely tell him no at first and he just keeps bugging me. So I eventually tell him, "Sorry, I build my own PCs for half the price as that piece of shit and they're way more powerful too." He usually doesn't have anything to say to that and finally leaves me alone.

And before some infraction happy mod goes ape shit on this post, it's not bashing Apple. Just stating facts that I honestly thought everyone knew. Apple products=Expensive premium price for sub par hardware/software and performance. If you didn't know that already, then I feel sorry for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of us are fellow computer builders and realize what you suggested is true, except Apple does do some things PC still does not compare to - at all.

At no extra cost, or maybe that premium pays for it, you get some fantastic pieces of software. Namely FinalCut and iMovie, as well as a much better photo-editing suite. I use Windows Movie Maker, and while it has certainly improved over the years, it is still missing some extremely basic features other programs have had for YEARS, like being able to put in more than 1 extra audio track. That's just stupid.

Apple computers/phones also have very nice chassis' and are built with aluminum, while most Windows-based PCs remain being built mainly with fucking plastic.

Beautiful, PLASTIC!
    "A flower.

Most of us are fellow computer builders and realize what you suggested is true, except Apple does do some things PC still does not compare to - at all.

At no extra cost, or maybe that premium pays for it, you get some fantastic pieces of software. Namely FinalCut and iMovie, as well as a much better photo-editing suite. I use Windows Movie Maker, and while it has certainly improved over the years, it is still missing some extremely basic features other programs have had for YEARS, like being able to put in more than 1 extra audio track. That's just stupid.

Apple computers/phones also have very nice chassis' and are built with aluminum, while most Windows-based PCs remain being built mainly with fucking plastic.

Beautiful, PLASTIC!
    So you're saying a select few programs trump overall better performance/tech? Wow. I'm not even sure how to respond to that.

15+ Year Old Account
    So you're saying a select few programs trump overall better performance/tech? Wow. I'm not even sure how to respond to that.
    You need to slow down on the hate and actually read. Delt is saying that there are some things a Mac does better. Does iMovie or Final Cut matter to me, a guy who plays games on his computer primarily? Hell no. Would it mean the world to a small-time director doing the bulk of his video editing at home on his personal system? Possibly. Would it be worth the increased cost for the hardware/software designed specifically for his video editing purpose? Possibly.

I don't like Apple, personally. I've never owned an Apple product and probably never will. However, to say that they have no valid purposes or are the wrong decision 100% of the time is just folly.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I'm saying that for people who will solely need and use them, they will find Apple is much better in that regards.

I have friends in the music and photography businesses, and they all swear by Apple.

You know why? Because the damned professionals have essentially made Apple the best for it.

For gaming though, yes, PC is of course better.

I wish I could have iMovie though for what I do, it is just so much better.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    etc
    you need to take into account the fact that apples are unix based and are direct hardware capable, you just can't compare the specs side by side with a windows computer, what that means is that apples with lower specs will outperform windows based machines at certain tasks

going back to the iphone, i don't really see how it compares, the iphone is written in objective-c while android is mostly java and linux, this difference again means that you can't simply compare specs side by side