Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

Case recommendations

OK so I put together a new system back in April 2013 with the help of this forum

Unfortunately I went el-cheapo on the case, and basically wasted the $25 I spent on the cheap piece of scrap metal! ([Diablotek CPA-7620 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/diablotek-case-cpa7620) if you're curious.

Here's the innards:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
    RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 (CPUSocket)
    Graphics: ATI AMD Radeon HD 7870 XT Sapphire
    Hard Drives: 128GB Corsair Force 3 SSD SCSI Disk Device (SSD) 30 °C
    Optical Drives: LG BluRay DVD Dual Layer Burner

What case would you recommend in the $50-100 US Range? The GPU puts out a bit of heat, and I don't think the cheapo case is venting very well despite me replacing the case fan, and adding 2 extra fans

I've seen Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811352031 mentioned a few times.

Keep in mind that the Midi R2 is a very tiny case to work inside of and isn't exactly the best for airflow without using a closed loop CPU cooler.

It's basically a mATX case that can just barely fit an ATX board. Not that it's not a bad case at all for certain builds, just know what you're getting into.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

The Arc Midi R2 could have used an additional 1 cm in every dimension and is more difficult to work in than say the HAF 922, but its acceptable given its price and other features.

If airflow is hands down the most important feature, higher end ($70+) Cooler Master cases would be the best choice due to their numerous massive 200mm fans; I recommend the HAF series or the Storm Enforcer which is being discontinued so its on sale.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Keep in mind that the Midi R2 is a very tiny case to work inside of and isn't exactly the best for airflow without using a closed loop CPU cooler.

It's basically a mATX case that can just barely fit an ATX board. Not that it's not a bad case at all for certain builds, just know what you're getting into.
    Are you sure? it's bigger than the case I currently have, and all the reviews rave about the space available inside. Are you confusing the MIDI with the MINI?
    Last edited by Vermicious; 2013-09-10 at 04:30 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Get yourself a Fractal Design Define R4 and don't look back.

I'm very pleased with my purchase, got a White with no window for $90 at Micro Center in Chicago, but here is one on Amazon, Titanium though.

http://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Design...fractal+design

Also, you could probably work with the Midi R2. I know other folks on these forums who have it and love it and are using it with high end heat-producing parts, not sure why people are freaking out over the possibility of you getting one. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Get yourself a Fractal Design Define R4 and don't look back.

I'm very pleased with my purchase, got a White with no window for $90 at Micro Center in Chicago, but here is one on Amazon, Titanium though.

http://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Design...fractal+design

Also, you could probably work with the Midi R2. I know other folks on these forums who have it and love it and are using it with high end heat-producing parts, not sure why people are freaking out over the possibility of you getting one. :P
    Thanks... they have the black pearl R4 case at MicroCenter for $89.99, and I live near one

The dimensions are very similar to the Midi R2, actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome! Jump on that asap! In fact, do what I did, order the case online now, then they will have it ready to go by tomorrow morning! :P
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account

Say what? You are confusing something here...

I have the Define R4 and that case has a lot of room. It is the case with the most room for cable management i have had in my fingers (1 inch of space behind the mobo tray!), and i handled a lot of cases: Corsair 300R/400R/600T/800D, Coolermaster HAF 912/932/X, NZXT Phantom 630/810, ...
    The Arc Midi R2 is basically the same just without the noise dampening stuff. Additionally it has the open top, with an offset mount for water coolers, so you can easily install even 280mm radiators in push/pull (e.g. NZXT Kraken X60).

The Arc Midi R2 is my first choice for a budget below $150.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do I have the feeling glo was thinking of the Arc Mini? :P

For the longest time I thought the Midi was super small, until I was reassured by other regulars that it is just a crappy name, essentially.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by g01851 View Post
    The dimensions are very similar to the Midi R2, actually.
    Define R4's dimensions are exactly the same as the Arc Midi R2 except one point: Define R4's total length is about 1 cm longer due to an additional front door.

For the longest time I thought the Midi was super small, until I was reassured by other regulars that it is just a crappy name, essentially.
    The Arc Midi R2 isn't "super small", but it is a bit tight to work in.

• The cable management space behind the motherboard could use an additional cm. The 24-pin cable is too thick and inflexible to fit in the current amount of allotted space.
    • The Arc Midi R2's top fan port placements are 1 cm to close to the ODD tray so its not possible to mount the H100 with the tubing facing the front of the case.
    • It is not possible to utilize the top front fan port for a fan without blocking the top ODD.
    • The top edge of the motherboard is too close to the top of the case. When a AIO (H100) is installed, the CPU fan headers at the top of the motherboard are blocked. The hole for the CPU 8-pin cable completely covered by the side panel attachment lip.
    • A larger PSU cable routing hole would be more convenient.
    • The VGA clearance is exactly 12" without removing the HDD trays. The newest Gigabyte Windforce coolers found on the 760/770/780 are all 11" - 11.5" long so it is a bit of a squeeze.

Besides these sizing issues, the Arc Midi R2 is incredibly heavy. The larger HAF 922 is lighter, yet has stiffer side panels compared to the Arc Midi R2. Its as if Fractal used lower quality steel.

A lot of people recommend the Define R4, of which the Arc Midi R2 is almost a carbon copy, but building in the Arc Midi R2 wasn't nearly as smooth as with an older version of the CM HAF 922 (KNN1 version).

10+ Year Old Account
    The HAF 922 is also considerably uglier by most peoples' standards and doesn't have anything on the Fractal Design's in terms of sound dampening, dust filtering, etc.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    Additionally it has the open top, with an offset mount for water coolers, so you can easily install even 280mm radiators in push/pull (e.g. NZXT Kraken X60).
    It is not possible to install 280mm radiators in the Arc Midi R2.

Picture proof

The first image shows the 140mm mount points on the Arc Midi R2. For the mount points towards back of the case, the 140mm holes are 1" closer to the back of the case. (My H100 push/pull is also shown)

The third image shows that the 1" clearance necessary is not available due to the back fan.

The fourth image shows that reversing the orientation of the radiator is not possible. The ODD cage blocks the tubing bulge (tried it with the H100).

The clearances on the Arc Midi R2 are very tight. In most cases, the allotted clearance isn't enough.

The HAF 922 is also considerably uglier by most peoples' standards and doesn't have anything on the Fractal Design's in terms of sound dampening, dust filtering, etc.
    Aesthetics, dust filtering, and sound dampening (questionable efficacy) are constitute a part of the case selection process. Build quality, stock fan quality, ease of use (roominess), and weight are also important factors.

One gripe (of several) I have with the Arc Midi R2 is that the motherboard standoffs don't go in straight due to the painted interior.

An often overlooked feature of Cooler Master cases are the two preinstalled motherboard standoffs shown in this video at 2:54. What isn't shown in the video is that the two preinstalled standoffs are 'nibbed' such that they 'lock in' the motherboard's position before screws are applied. This minor feature is a huge help when installing the motherboard. My first MB install ever was in the HAF 922 and it was relatively painless. Despite my newfound experience, installing the motherboard in the Arc Midi R2 was a pain. Aligning the motherboard just right was difficult, especially with slightly misaligned standoffs.
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-09-10 at 06:25 AM.

Why do I have the feeling glo was thinking of the Arc Mini? :P

Oh, FML! I had ordered one along with a bunch of other stuff a few days ago for my partial rebuild. I thought the Midi was the teeny weeny case... that magically had ATX compatibility. I guess this was partially me being lazy and newegg being stupid and redirecting "Mini R2" searches to the Midi R2. I got everything all mixed up.

And to top it all off it's here tomorrow, along with my Extreme3 standard ATX board. Funny thing is now after I have searched, there IS a "Mini" R2, it's just barely sold by anyone.

So much for my tiny build dreams, I'm too lazy and cheap to ship it all back.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Funny thing is now after I have searched, there IS a "Mini" R2, it's just barely sold by anyone.
    I think the Arc Mini R2 is a new release.
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-09-10 at 06:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, FML! I had ordered one along with a bunch of other stuff a few days ago for my partial rebuild. I thought the Midi was the teeny weeny case... that magically had ATX compatibility. I guess this was partially me being lazy and newegg being stupid and redirecting "Mini R2" searches to the Midi R2. I got everything all mixed up.

And to top it all off it's here tomorrow, along with my Extreme3 standard ATX board. Funny thing is now after I have searched, there IS a "Mini" R2, it's just barely sold by anyone.

So much for my tiny build dreams, I'm too lazy and cheap to ship it all back.
    At first I thought you were giving me a snarky sarcastic reply...

Then I realized you were serious. XD

Well, I do hope you find a use for it! Maybe a tiny LAN rig?
    "A flower.

At first I thought you were giving me a snarky sarcastic reply...

Then I realized you were serious. XD

Well, I do hope you find a use for it! Maybe a tiny LAN rig?
    I actually wanted the small one, not the mid-tower. :P

I made a last minute switch from Corsair's 350D and just didn't pay much attention. The place I ordered it from doesn't provide free return shipping either, so screw paying $40+ to ship a huge ass case box back! Although I guess I can sweet talk newegg into giving me a label for the H80i that I got so I can spend the few extra bucks on a 100i since I now have the room.

Oh well, it's still miles better than my big-'ole-box-of-stupid, AKA NZXT M59 with a whopping 10.5 inches of GPU clearance.

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Aye.

I'll say that my Fractal Design Define R4 is much more pleasant to work in than the HAF X.

That says something, when a midtower beats a supertower...
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    I say go for the Define R4 as well... I've got the black/no window. It looks so clean and was a dream to work in... Fractal makes SOLID products. Only gripe is the power button placement... Right now the desk I use only fits my peripherals, so the tower is on the ground... And my 13mo daughter loves to press the "blue button"
    4670k @ 4.4GHz - MSI Z87 G45 - Silverstone AR03 - Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770 OC - Antec 620W High Current Gamer

16GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz - Samsung 840 250GB - 1TB WD Blue - ASUS VG248QE @ 144Hz - Fractal Design Define R4 - Windows 10 64-Bit - Logitech G-Pro
    Razer Blackwidow Chroma - Steelseries QCK Heavy - Hyper X Cloud II

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow I really prompted a discussion... and no one got nasty

Looks like the R4 is my target... MicroCenter here I come!

Thanks guys (and gals? if any)