Poll: Is your own WoW-nostalgia frustrating to you?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Does your 'Old Expansion' nostalgia frustrate you?

I've gotta see if this is a common thing before I go mad.

I'm listening through the soundtracks for TBC and WotLK, and the nostalgia is flowing freely as usual.

But something that sort of surprises me is how bloody frustrated I am.

I look at a picture of the Outland map, or of the Howling Fjord, and I get incredibly annoyed over how nostalgic I am about it, and the fact that those days will never come again. Both continents are still there, but I'll never have those mind-numbingly cosy and nerdgasmic experiences again. People won't quest in Terokkar, form groups for Gruul, or try to gank me in Grizzly Hills. Nagrand won't amaze me with its vastness, and while Sholazar still looks great, its dense jungles don't feel so dense any longer.

How do you feel about it? Is your nostalgia just sugar-sweet, or does it sometimes annoy you?
    Last edited by mmocf747bdc2eb; 2013-09-10 at 09:33 AM.

Usually when I do old raids or something with someone, we'll talk about when we did the place back in vanilla(or whenever) in a remember when this happened or that happened kind of way.

Other than that, no, I don't care, I don't get attached or hold on to the past/old content in the way you describe.

I get pretty nostalgic, but I think that's a good thing. Nostalgia is a great feeling.

Deleted
    I'm with you on this, but for me personally it's all about vanilla. I think the best thing one can do is remind oneself that nostalgia is a trickster. Not just with wow but with everything. Nothing is as good as you remember and for example I quit for the first time just before TBC was released and I just remind myself how good was the game really if I did quit it?

Deleted
    I guess it's both things OP. I have very fond memories of TBC and WotLk and how things worked differently back then. I also cringe on how things have changed, some not for the better, although I do accept the fact that blizzard simply done what had to be done since the time Wii opened the casual pandora box. I must say that I dont really feel frustrated since we all have access to experiences that closely emulate the state of the game was back then, not exactly the same thing but definitely close to it.

Deleted
    Good point. Maybe Blizzcon, and the subsequent launch night of the next expansion, can get me all giddy again.

Man, nostalgia has always been a weird feeling for me. I definitely feel what you're saying, it's sort of a pleasant memory tied to a sad, hopeless yearning. I don't go there very often, but sometimes a random factoid will flood my head with old memories.

I miss Shattrath being the main hub city and always being packed, and to a lesser extent, Dalaran. I still bind some of my toons to Shatt

Oh, and on the soundtracks; I forgot I bought the vanilla soundtrack and found it recently while moving, decided to give it a play... Oh man. I resubbed for a month after that.

WoW is one thing I can't get nostalgic over. I remember the faults as much as I remember the good things about each expansion.

I remember the tedious grinding and horrid levelling of Vanilla, as well as the imbalanced and broken classes, but I also remember how you actually visited many different zones for quests like the Dungeon-Set 2 which made it feel like a bigger world.

I don't remember much from TBC, because I quit well into the expansion, but it had the same kind of tedious levelling as Vanilla, and I never liked the feel or story of the expansion, and it just seemed like a watered down Vanilla in many aspects. I never did much of the endgame content though, so can't talk about that, though the raids always looked fantastic.

Wrath was horrible, end of story. I hate it just as much as I did when it was current, everytime I enter ICC or Naxx I'm just reminded how dissapointed I was with them. Could have been so fantastic, but the only thing that was good about it was Ulduar.

And that's seemingly where the nostalgia ends for people. I can get very nostalgic with things like Pokémon and 80s and 90s cartoon shows, but with WoW I simply can't. When I listen to soundtracks I remember the bad things as well as I remember the good things.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I am over this feeling. Yes, Nagrand won't amaze me - but at least Blade Edge Mountain also won't annoy me.

But there are still zones that I always hold dear. Maybe I am the only one who will always love Zul Drak.
    I'm always stoked when I hit Zul'Drak while leveling an alt. It's a great zone.

Deleted
    I know im way too nostalgic but it doesnt frustrate me, I like looking back at the screenshots and listening to the music

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    WoW is one thing I can't get nostalgic over. I remember the faults as much as I remember the good things about each expansion.

I remember the tedious grinding and horrid levelling of Vanilla, as well as the imbalanced and broken classes, but I also remember how you actually visited many different zones for quests like the Dungeon-Set 2 which made it feel like a bigger world.

I don't remember much from TBC, because I quit well into the expansion, but it had the same kind of tedious levelling as Vanilla, and I never liked the feel or story of the expansion, and it just seemed like a watered down Vanilla in many aspects. I never did much of the endgame content though, so can't talk about that, though the raids always looked fantastic.

Wrath was horrible, end of story. I hate it just as much as I did when it was current, everytime I enter ICC or Naxx I'm just reminded how dissapointed I was with them. Could have been so fantastic, but the only thing that was good about it was Ulduar.

And that's seemingly where the nostalgia ends for people. I can get very nostalgic with things like Pokémon and 80s and 90s cartoon shows, but with WoW I simply can't. When I listen to soundtracks I remember the bad things as well as I remember the good things.
    Totally. I thought it would be a good idea to try out a vanilla or TBC private server for nostalgia purposes. It reminded me how terrible Paladins were in Vanilla and how bloody boring questing could be. TBC was fun for a while but eventually the lack of raiding community on those private servers really kills it for me as most of my fond memories are of the raids.

I don't think official TBC or Vanilla realms should ever happen. They would struggle to maintain players in the long term, and a lot of things did suck back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    How do you feel about it? Is your nostalgia just sugar-sweet, or does it sometimes annoy you?
    Bittersweet memories.

10+ Year Old Account
    i can't remember anything further back than last week, so it doesn;t bother me at all

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Templis View Post
    I'm always stoked when I hit Zul'Drak while leveling an alt. It's a great zone.
    Same here, amazing zone

I personally enjoy "feeling ways about stuff".

10+ Year Old Account
    Nostalgia is great but only in terms of its meaning. For example: To have a nostalgia feeling about BRD is great. You travel to them and you doesn't feel the "WoW feeling" anymore, but in your mind, you had a good feeling about the old days. Thats nostalgia. Having a good feeling about not gated or limited reputation farming like TBC / WotLK isn't nostalgia, because thats not connected to a feeling how you experienced the content rather than a preferation about the style of implementation.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it doesn't, I still get the same feeling for new content.

While I do like nostalgia, I don't let it fool me. I have gotten bored sick of every expansion/patch in the past and I will continue to do so.

I remember the good times, but I also remember the bad times in those good times.

I still don't get why everyone overrates WotLK, it was a pretty bad expansion, with only the second half of Ulduar standing out (the first half was awful). WotLK first patch was terrible and was out for too long, Ulduar was too short (well actually, i wish every patch only lasted 4 months, and that's a raid patch, these crappy additional patches in MoP are shit), ToC, too long and ICC, well that last 12 months or more.

For example, 5 mans in vanilla and TBC were by far my favourite, but I also remember hating them. Mainly because I did them too much.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2013-09-10 at 11:36 AM.

Yes.

Vanilla raiding was terrible. If they released 40 man raids with the same mechanics as they had in Vanilla people would be up in arms.

I loved raiding in Vanilla. I was a noob just like everyone. Compare yourself to the player you were 9 years ago and realize how much better you are now. That is like comparing raiding today to raiding 9 years ago.

I still get that nostalgic feeling on the first quests in Borean Tundra and the boat ride into Howling Fjord. Outlands feels like a drag, as the two zones I like (Netherstorm & Shadowmoon Valley), I don't get to spend much time in as the leveling in Northrend is much better.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty good at checking my nostalgia. There are very few games that I get nostalgic about and those are games that I've replayed recently and they still hold up extremely well such as the Ratchet and Clank series and Fallout 3.