Poll: Would you consider it acceptable to call out from work when a pet dies?

Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Would you consider it acceptable to call out from work when a pet dies?

So, I'm sure most of us have dealt with a pet dying at some point in our lives. I've dealt with several. However, most of those pets were my childhood pets, and it is normal for children to get really upset about their pets dying. I'm 20, and I have a job now, and I'm just wondering if there is a general consensus regarding calling out from work if your pet dies? I know in some people's eyes, it's not the same as a family member dying, but I've raised most of my pets since they were very small, and I've gotten really close to them. The reason I ask is because one cat of mine is starting to get very old, and although she's healthy now, it's only a matter of time before things start to go downhill. I honestly don't think I would be able to function the day that it finally happens, and I'm just wondering if it's considered acceptable to call out from work that day? I mean, I guess it varies from place to place, and my management team is pretty relaxed and understandable regarding most things, so I'd like to think that it would be a non-issue. I'm just looking for some opinions.

Personally, no.

A pet dying is a tragic event but not one worth missing a day of work over. I've had my dogs, cats and other pets die, and while I've notified the relevant people I've still attended work. With a pet, you're able to still manage to go about your day, albeit you'll be rather sad.

A lot of people disagree with me, but I don't see the death of a pet as reason to call a day off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I would say it depends on the job, but to most people pets are loved almost as much as family members are if not more. I wouldn't want a surgeon operating on me if his beloved beagle of 15 years died that morning and he is distraught.

Use a sick day if you're not feeling up to it.

I'm one of those monsters who doesn't care about pets who the pet owners will avidly attack if I say something insensitive.

And I also have a really strong work ethic and refuse to miss a single class (or day of work) unless I'm literally in a coma.

So I'm going to say yes, it's very inappropriate to miss work.

I work in a professional environment, and in the year and a half I've worked here thus far, we've had at least 3-4 people take a day for the death of their pet.

Real emotional bonds are formed.

We have a pretty flexible policy though. We accrue PTO (paid time off) days to use for any purpose we desire, whether it be sick days, vacation, or personal days. As long as we don't miss any crucial deadlines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

10+ Year Old Account
    Take it as a holiday, and say you don't want a dead cat stinking up your place.

I would laugh at anyone who tried to take it as compassionate leave and tell them to get their arse into the office.

Deleted
    I dunno, I'd go to work to have something else to think about rather than staying home and feel miserable. Personal ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    And I also have a really strong work ethic and refuse to miss a single class (or day of work) unless I'm literally in a coma.
    You're one of those who comes in even when your sick, aren't you? The rest of us hate you. We don't want your disease. That's just inconsiderate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I would argue that it's ridiculous to form such a strong bond with a pet, but calling into work is less about whether or not your feelings are appropriate and more about whether you will be able to perform your job duties. Whether your boss will understand or not is also a separate matter.
    Dogs / Cats are members of the family to a lot of people.

Well, for me there would be two possibilities: I am so in emotional distress so I call in sick, or I just call and explain what happened and take a day off.
    Of course it would never justify special leave as when a close family member dies.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    It varies per person I'd say. If you've got a very strong connection with your pet then you probably won't be mentally engaged in your work for the day; however, if you have a very important role in your job (necessary for the company to function smoothly) then you probably just have to suck it up. There's also the chance that going to work will keep your mind off of things.

My parents bought me and my brother a dog when we were very little and it grew up with us, so when it died it was like losing a brother (all-be-it one that peed on the carpet and walked around on four legs). I had to call out of work that day because I couldn't go 15 minutes without crying, and my job was a typical high school summer job so I wasn't missed all that much.

If I had a pet that died now (I'm 26), there's very little chance I would call out of work because I'm responsible for the education of a bunch of kids.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I would say it depends on the job, but to most people pets are loved almost as much as family members are if not more. I wouldn't want a surgeon operating on me if his beloved beagle of 15 years died that morning and he is distraught.
    agree with this. besides, it's not like a pet dies every day, one would expect them to last a few years. personally i went to work after putting dogs down, it gave me something to do besides moping, but not everyone is going to react the same. also, if one has children you might have to spend some time with them after the loss of a pet, they will most likely be upset
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you get time off through work, it's yours to use. Just give your employer notice and show back up at work ready to go when that time expires. They generally don't care what you are doing as long as you don't give them the run around.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes because i have a strong attachment to my pets they are as good as family.

10+ Year Old Account
    If some of my colleague take a day off due to a pet died, I would bully them to no end.

If that is acceptable, then if any of my relative die I think I will ask for a month off.

PS. I am more a pro work person, I am also one of those that don't miss work unless I am half dead on the bed. I didn't even took time off when my relative died, let alone pet, but then I don't have pets so I hate them.

Deleted
    I wouldn't even miss a day if a family member died. I'd book a day off for the funeral, but man, it really isn't that hard to buck up and deal with it.

Depends on how the loss of your pet affects you. If you feel that your work performance will suffer far too much (also dependent on what kind of job it is) take some time off. What is "far too much" is entirely up to you, these things affect everyone differently.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    If some of my colleague take a day off due to a pet died, I would bully them to no end.
    You'd bully someone after their pet died? Yikes, I'm glad I don't work with people like you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I would laugh at anyone who tried to take it as compassionate leave and tell them to get their arse into the office.
    Basically this