Page 1 of 34
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Removing a Dog's Vocal Chord - Do you agree with this practice?

Years ago, we had a couple miniature schnauzers that were the coolest little puppies. I left home for a few years, and when I came back, my parents had their vocal chords removed / squelched.

Basically what this is, is cutting the chord that creates the loud barking sound. When they bark today, they sound like they are barking into a pillow and its barely hearable.

The dogs think they are barking normally, so it really doesnt affect them other than the surgery to have them removed. And to us humans, its very pleasant to no longer have to hear the shrill barking sound, so it really is a Win Win for everyone.

What do you think of this practice?

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe you should cut your own ears to avoid hearing the barks. Its a win-win situation, dont you think?
    Ironically, the ability to bark was what was so appealing for humans to have dogs as pets as they alerted anyone of intruders or dangerous animals

10+ Year Old Account
    If we can circumcise children without their consent we can circumcise dog throats without a problem.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't buy a freaking dog if you can't deal with it they way it is.

"My kids were screaming all day, so I removed their vocal cords." See how that goes. This is wrong on so many levels.
    Statix will suffice.

Deleted
    I don't see any problem with it. Also, in some cases due to neighbours you are forced to do it, especially if the dog lives in the yard and you don't want to get up one morning and see it's dead from poison. Yeah, lots of people use this method to get rid of things that bother them.

Quote Originally Posted by Statix View Post

"My kids were screaming all day, so I removed their vocal cords." See how that goes. This is wrong on so many levels.
    This. I mean, some people are just sick in the fucking head.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voldur View Post
    Maybe you should cut your own ears to avoid hearing the barks. Its a win-win situation, dont you think?
    Ironically, the ability to bark was what was so appealing for humans to have dogs as pets as they alerted anyone of intruders or dangerous animals
    Lol that's a terrible angry remark, How would someone ( I assume you meant cutting out the ear, to deafen the OP) be a win win? There is a huge difference betweem deafening someone, and making it so a dog can't bark as loud, A list so long I can't even believe you made such a foolish remark=/

OT: I think it's fine aslong as it actually doesn't cause them any problems or anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, because there isn't a difference between a human needing their voice, and a dog...

Seriously, can everyone think a little before posting such stupid comments that are of zero comparison? -.-'

Deleted
    I am not a dog lover, and I find that to be damn barbaric.
    if you cant deal with the barking then you should not have a dog in the first place, if you get an animal and it turns out to be too noisy then you re-home it.

How would you feel if someone came along and cut your vocal cords as a child because you would shout a lot ?

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    This. I mean, some people are just sick in the fucking head.
    Oh gawd they're just dogs ....relax, lets not make this into something its not, remember they're only dogs

Deleted

Ah, not one page before people are comparing animals to humans.

10+ Year Old Account

This is completely outlandish to try to compare removing a dogs vocal chords to removing your kids'. The dogs dont even realize its been done, they think they are barking normally.

If you were to remove your kids vocal chords, there would be devastating effects throughout their lives in trying to communicate.

this

@ OP not very nice m8

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooshelle View Post
    Oh gawd they're just dogs ....relax, lets not make this into something its not, remember they're only dogs
    This is exactly why I think it is okay. They are just dogs, and they think they are barking normally when their vocal chords are removed.

Deleted
    I'd rather just properly train my dog.

I think it sounds horrible. Only an evil person would do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    Lol that's a terrible angry remark, How would someone ( I assume you meant cutting out the ear, to deafen the OP) be a win win? There is a huge difference betweem deafening someone, and making it so a dog can't bark as loud, A list so long I can't even believe you made such a foolish remark=/

OT: I think it's fine aslong as it actually doesn't cause them any problems or anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, because there isn't a difference between a human needing their voice, and a dog...

Seriously, can everyone think a little before posting such stupid comments that are of zero comparison? -.-'
    I sadly have to tell you that human life isn't as precious as you think in some part of the world. The same way animal life isn't as precious in the west. But we will get there eventually.

The only time this is excusable is for the dogs in the military, otherwise, what the fuck?

Deleted
    Hell no. I'm strongly oppossed to these practices. I have 2 cats and a leather couch, I have no scratches on my couch but my cats have ALL their claws intact, its all about educating your pet and having the patience to educate them.

Aye because people get dogs to listen to them barking right? wrong. To me this is win-win, we have a small dog that barks at the slightest noise and doesn't exactly shut up any time soon either, would it be better to do this to him? sure, why not? why have a dog that barks 24/7? if you get a dog because them barking tickles your pickle then good for you.

If you had the best dog in the world yet he barked so much, why not dampen his barking and keep your dog rather than getting rid of it? and as I said nobody in their right mind buys a dog for the barking.

I was so sad when I went to get my puppy spade, and that was so she wont develop tumors later in life. I cant imagine doing something like that to the dog just so it doesnt annoy me.