Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    no. i thinks it's wrong. if you don't want a barking pet, get a cat. same goes for fixing.

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Portraits look essentially the same since they're painted to a romantic ideal, rather than as a true depiction of the idiosyncratic facial qualities of the person in question.

Faces be templates! Baldrick taught me that.
    Your cousins butlers dogsbody had a rather greater vocabulary than yourself...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Wow that is disgusting and should go under animal cruelty and be punishable.. it's mutilation and crippling a healthy dog. Whats next? Dont like them chewing stuff? Remove the teeth! Run around too much, remove their legs? People like this shouldnt have the right to own pets at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Or maybe you don't understand that they shouldn't have kept their eyes off their children? Seriously it pisses me so much when parents wobble around like retards and the next thing you hear is the car driving over their kids. It has happened. Because of stupidity.
    Just picking this quote out of the sea of derp back there, lets face it hypothetically the chances of you being in a situation where a cat and two children are drowning is a bit remote.

But what about this scenario: You return home from being away for the afternoon to discover a fire in your street. As you get closer you realise your home is ablzae and its set fire to your neighbours home too. You can hear your kitten mewling, or your dog whining, and also the neighbours child bawling from inside their home...

You're trying to pretend its totally "kewl" "natural" "healthy" "not fucking whack-job" to think "Ima save my cat, screw the baby, humans aren't worth all that" because if you are I reckon a few weeks living rough in the Kenya savannah will teach you a few lessons about life, and our relationship with the animals on this planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I typically don't agree with the mutilation of pets (like clipping tails and ears...wtf), this is one I DO fully and completely support.

My parents have a dog that DOES NOT STOP BARKING whenever I come over. It gets excited and playful and just won't shut the fuck up. The problem is, it has the most nerve-grating bark I have EVER heard from a dog. Like, it makes me want to do violent things to anything within arm's reach. I seriously cannot come up with the words to describe how much I can't STAND this fucking dog's bark. I have told my parents on numerous occasions that I will PAY to get that damned dog de-barked, but they always turn it down. They have another dog who doesn't bark too much, but even when she does, the bark isn't bad. Kinda loud, but just sounds like a normal dog bark. I know a few other dogs who have annoying barks too who could certainly use the surgery...

Again, I NORMALLY am against doing such things to dogs, especially the ears and tail as there really is no call for such a thing other than pure aesthetics. But when your dog can cause instant headaches just from barking, something needs to be done. And for the record, dogs in the wild stopped barking as puppies - for some reason, people thought it necessary to breed dogs in the past that never stop barking. It's a trait that we actually bred for. (I don't mean wild dogs just flat out stopped barking completely when they grow up, they just didn't/don't do it anywhere near as much as domesticated dogs.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    It's a trait that we actually bred for. (I don't mean wild dogs just flat out stopped barking completely when they grow up, they just didn't/don't do it anywhere near as much as domesticated dogs.)
    Dogs are vocal because we are. Also yes, it does have some evolutionary benefits for us, as dogs alert us to things we can not otherwise hear or smell.

Your parents can work on the barking, remember that you can reinforce the barking by giving the dog attention when he/she barks. Ignore it, do not give the dog eye contact or otherwise engage the dog when you come over until the dog is quiet, then give it affection when calm and silent. If you are consistent with this, the behavior will eventually extinguish.

There is no reason to devocalize the dog because it is obvious that YOU are reinforcing the behavior and do not realize it. :P It is a very common mistake, people give dogs attention when they are doing something "wrong" but all that tends to do is reinforce the attention-seeking behavior (barking). I can't emphasize this enough...do not look at or speak to the dog when you come to visit unless it is quiet, this includes yelling or whatever other behaviors you engage in when the dog is present. If the dog initially tries to persist with the behavior, you can try putting the dog in another room until the dog is quiet, and then letting the dog out and praising the dog when it quiets down. You need to be consistent with this though (this means not putting the dog in another room and then forgetting about it, you need to tie the reward to the behavior--being quiet-as immediately as possible in order for the reinforcement to be most effective).

Depending on how often you see your parents, you can extinguish behavior like this in a month or less.

It's incredibly fucked up and wrong

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
    Not all dogs are trainable, and most dogs are not trainable after so many years. Not every dog gets a solid owner during their prime age for training. That situation simply does not apply to all dogs, there's even humans you can't train to do stuff and that's why they are in jail. What makes you think all dogs would listen to a trainer? They simply don't. There are bad dogs, and there are older dogs that can't learn new tricks.

This is the next best solution in those cases, the next step is the dog being put down... which obviously should be the last resort.

What I meant was the owner gets in trouble enough he gets rid of it, a full grown dog sitting at the pound is more likely to be put down because no one wants it when they can get a puppy. Especially if it's a barker, it will likely be returned.
    Every dog is trainable, a dog is only as smart as the trainer wants it to be. If you get a dog of 1-2 years old it's obviously harder to train it since it already has it's habits.

Don't have time to make your dog acceptable for wherever you live? Don't fuckin get one. My dogs bark all the time and are hardly trained themselves, but where I live it's not needed. Dogs in the past on different locations closer to the city had to be trained though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Just picking this quote out of the sea of derp back there, lets face it hypothetically the chances of you being in a situation where a cat and two children are drowning is a bit remote.

But what about this scenario: You return home from being away for the afternoon to discover a fire in your street. As you get closer you realise your home is ablzae and its set fire to your neighbours home too. You can hear your kitten mewling, or your dog whining, and also the neighbours child bawling from inside their home...

You're trying to pretend its totally "kewl" "natural" "healthy" "not fucking whack-job" to think "Ima save my cat, screw the baby, humans aren't worth all that" because if you are I reckon a few weeks living rough in the Kenya savannah will teach you a few lessons about life, and our relationship with the animals on this planet.
    Depending on the age of the dog I wouldn't know what to save, a puppy dog might even win from the baby. A few years old prob not. But the human child would be my choice 95% sure.