Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

How could Obama ignore the will of majority Americans?

How could Obama ignore the will of majority Americans? Something is wrong with the system.
    Less than 10% GIVE OBAMA AUTHORITY TO CONDUCT MILITARY OPERATION IN SYRIA

YES 8%

61,407 votes

NO 92%

667,929 votes

729,336 Total Votes

See this poll on: http://k5software.info/iNews/drudger...olumnThree.php

Easy: the average American doesn't know shit.

Deleted
    The congress ignored the will of the majority when they didn't vote for defunding the PRISM program.

Besides, in the case of Syria, one could argue that external politics cannot be grasped by the average citizen who obviously doesn't have all the info and doesn't see the big picture like those in the government do, and shouldn't be asked about it.

obviously democrachy isn't perfect

10+ Year Old Account
    I an unaware of the US taking any military action in Syria.

Quote Originally Posted by khazlol View Post
    obviously democrachy isn't perfect
    Democracy was stolen in US. The politicians don't work for people but for interest group.

Quote Originally Posted by katsung47 View Post
    Democracy was stolen in US. The politicians don't work for people but for interest group.
    The US was never democratic.

Deleted
    Representative Democracy is not Democracy.

Also, people are pretty idiotic in mass groups. Opinion polls are about as worthwhile as people who call radio stations complaining about their petty issues.

How could Obama ignore the will of majority Americans? Something is wrong with the system.
    Less than 10% GIVE OBAMA AUTHORITY TO CONDUCT MILITARY OPERATION IN SYRIA
    It's kind of what he (and, let's be honest, most other) politicians do. I mean look at ObamaCare. That had a terrible public approval rating well below 40%, and it still passed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Come back after Obama actually ignores the will of the majority of Americans.

Off topic: I would really like to see Congress put back in control of deciding when we go to war (except in actual cases of self defense when quick decisions are necessary). The barrier to entry to war should be high.

10+ Year Old Account
    The average American citizen doesn't have even close to enough information to be able to make an informed decision about anything that has anything to do with the Syria conflict. All we can really do is sit back and hope that our government is truly donning the right thing. There's nothing we can do about it.

Deleted
    Because he doesn't need to worry about being re-elected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by time0ut View Post
    Come back after Obama actually ignores the will of the majority of Americans.
    Seriously..getting tired of this shit

10+ Year Old Account
    We're a representative republic. I don't get to vote in matters of war and state. I get to vote for the people I feel will represent me and lead the country in the manner I'd like, but the day-to-day decisions aren't mine to vote on or make.

Never mind that I lack any real information for me to make an informed decision on Syria. I trust that Congress and the President do. That is, after all, why I voted for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    We're a representative republic. I don't get to vote in matters of war and state. I get to vote for the people I feel will represent me and lead the country in the manner I'd like, but the day-to-day decisions aren't mine to vote on or make.

Never mind that I lack any real information for me to make an informed decision on Syria. I trust that Congress and the President do. That is, after all, why I voted for them.
    Sir, stop making so much damn sense.

Even though I didn't vote for Obama, I trust him to make the right decisions.
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

10+ Year Old Account
    The same way the vast majority of Americans, especially in the midwest, did not want President FDR to intervene in World War 2 when London was in shambles. FDR didn't care and sent secret shipments of arms and supplies to the U.K., even before Pearl Harbor, anyway.

This isn't a direct democracy. You vote for the guy that you trust to make the correct decisions, even if you happen to disagree with them at the time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    I an unaware of the US taking any military action in Syria.
    I was unaware that there was less than a million people in the USA.

A vote of 729,336 people does not represent the entire population of 300 Million + people, in fact it is less than ¼ of 1% of the total population. once the remaining 99¾ % of the population voted then the outcome could be completely different. Never mind that the population don't get to vote on going to war. That is a decision made by politicians.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post

A vote of 729,336 people does not represent the entire population of 300 Million + people, in fact it is less than ¼ of 1% of the total population. once the remaining 99¾ % of the population voted then the outcome could be completely different. Never mind that the population don't get to vote on going to war. That is a decision made by politicians.
    In a statistical survey, 729,336 people is an extremely large sample size. In fact, even a sample size of 1000 people would be a good representation for a survey of American citizens

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post

Wow when put that way its not that much different from cuba except that there are 2 parties and the figurehead changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post

Assuming there is minimal sampling error within the aforementioned poll (which is actually false because there is a lot of sampling error in it as it's an unscientific poll), not polling the entire country is completely fine. If there was minimal sampling error, and subsequently a very low margin of error within the poll, the rest of the 99% of the country that was not polled would very likely end up polling in the same way anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grakey View Post
    In a statistical survey, 729,336 people is an extremely large sample size. In fact, even a sample size of 1000 people would be a good representation for a survey of American citizens
    It's an unscientific poll, meaning that it was not conducted within a random way. First of all, the link that the OP provided does not even take you to the survey's results, but based purely off of the method in which the OP reported the results, it seems to have been an online poll. Many of its participants might not have even been American citizens. There is a lot of sampling error in it and it should not be taken as a direct translation of popular opinion within the country.