You're Doing it Wrong-proving grounds

Anyone have any advice for tanking? misdirect seems to be less than effective here

Roll a Warlock. Spec Demo. Get the glyph of Demon Hunting. GG

What? Do I understand this right, a hunter can do the tanking proving grounds?

you can queue for anything inside

Oh, my priest will be a pretty little tank. Thx for the reply.
    Last edited by Fungj; 2013-09-11 at 02:36 AM.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have advice yet but I can say I gave the tank one a try and saw the same thing you did however with growl, glyphed MD, and FD to handle threat I was able to keep adds off myself and mostly off the npc. I havent not done extensive pulls yet jsut wanted to see it so it may turn up that there are more efficient ways but that worked at initial glance.

I got to wave 7 on silver on the first try, but had raid so I'll try later. I went in with Ferocity pet, glyph of mending, and growl on. Utilizing Binding Shot and traps (Survival).

just did it on my second attempt. used a turtle in tenacity spec. last stand came in handy towards the end of wave 6 or 7.

Quote Originally Posted by nolliepop View Post
    just did it on my second attempt. used a turtle in tenacity spec. last stand came in handy towards the end of wave 6 or 7.
    Those waves hit like a freakin truck, I'll need to respec my pet and use appropriate glyphs and stuff.

I didn't have a problem keeping the pet alive. Keeping the mobs off the healer/dps was another issue altogether.

The pet is spamming thunderstomp and growl ffs, pay some attention to it =_=

Quote Originally Posted by gulder View Post
    I didn't have a problem keeping the pet alive. Keeping the mobs off the healer/dps was another issue altogether.

The pet is spamming thunderstomp and growl ffs, pay some attention to it =_=
    yeah, it gets easier if you place a trap down before the mobs spawn. i did it as survival, so i also had entrapment. as soon as they're stuck on the trap, just md and have enough focus to really put some threat towards your pet. if you're in a situation where you dont have a trap down and mobs are on their way towards the npc, then use binding shot. if she already has agro on a few, you'll have to attack those ones single target md them and they will eventually get off of her.

Don't forget to use Distracting Shot as well, it's great for peeling just about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakoes View Post
    Don't forget to use Distracting Shot as well, it's great for peeling just about anything.
    and glyph it to send it to your pet and not you

Quote Originally Posted by Rackfu View Post
    and glyph it to send it to your pet and not you
    yeah, this would help too. i'd keep mending and md and switch out animal bond for this. might try tank gold sometime later.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nolliepop View Post
    Good to hear this is possible, I'll give it a try.

Just hit endless wave 37 on my first pull before getting bored and quitting. The DPS challenge is an utter joke.

Deleted
    Glyph of explosive trap and binding shot are pretty useful for keeping the little shits off the npc too

Got it last night... Not crazy hard, but requires a couple of things.

1) Learn the order of mob spawns (only 2 spawn points)... Wave 5 in particular has another wave spawn midway through that will be almost impossible to peel off the healer if you don't get them first.

2) Don't worry too much about your dps... if you get the mobs grouped up, the healer will AoE them down... On my successful attempt, she did 282k dps... focus more on keeping your pet in her LoS and and keeping adds stunned, snared, and on your pet.

3) Saved Stampeded for the last wave and put it on the big flying add.

4) Interrupt the fire guys and don't be near the healer or fire might get put under her and she doesn't move out of it.

5) If you have time between waves, bandage her up... She doesn't heal herself well.

BM might be better, but I went Survival for the Entrapment which really helps.

Glyph of Mending, Glyph of Distracting Shot, Binding Shot, Barrage were all very useful.

TL;DR It is all about aggro management (keeping them off the healer) and keeping your pet (and yourself) alive.
    Last edited by Rackfu; 2013-09-17 at 01:24 PM.

Definitely 80% aggro, 20% keeping your pet alive/managing when it dies. I went survival mainly because misdirect/beast cleave wasn't good enough to get threat off the NPC as beast mastery in ilvl 463 gear, but serpent spread was. On waves with a few large enemies make sure that growl hits them as fast as possible and that's generally good enough, a few hits on the NPC is okay from these but the small adds stack a bleed so you really can't let them make it all the way in. If they do, you can position a binding shot so that it actually triggers even if they don't move (if an enemy is JUST BARELY in range when you cast it they will get stunned immediately) to give yourself some time but it's much harder to save the NPC once they make it to the middle.

I found the fire puddles either didn't damage the NPC at all, or didn't damage him very much, but maybe I just got lucky with where they landed. The puddles DO help you kill the enemies though, quite a lot actually, if you can position your pet so they stand in one. If it wasn't on cooldown I would throw a freezing trap at the casters after they put out the fire puddles, otherwise they spam pyroblasts that deal 10% of the NPC's health bar or fireballs that do 5%.

With a tenacity pet the NPC and glyphed mending do a TON of healing over time on your pet so it will survive most waves pretty easily. The only NPCs that can really kill it are the knockback mantid ones, but they can and will burst your pet down in a few hits. Since you get all raid buffs/debuffs anyway there's no reason to not use a turtle or beetle pet, try to cower/shell shield/last stand your way through them.

The last wave actually spawns 2 sets of enemies, first a mantid group and then a vermin group, so be ready for that second set. On wave 8 you don't actually have to worry about the timer running out, so as long as you get threat on your pet and survive you'll eventually win.

If you do try as BM use a spirit beast and cast spirit mend on the NPC on cooldown. I did this at first and it worked reasonably well, but in the end I had more success with survival even without the heal.
    Last edited by Thursley; 2013-09-17 at 07:58 PM.