Thread: Mage spec?

  1. #1

    Mage spec?

    Hi.
    What mage spec is good now?
    I talked to some people on my real and they told me that fire were bad now.
    I want to play fire, but I know that my gear is too bad for it, and even when people say fire is bad it makes me wonder.
    I can't post links to my armory but my character is on Stormreaver EU named Slutbag if you want to have a look at my gear.
    Don't mind the unenchanted pieces, ill fix it later.

    I can see that I have to play arcane or frost, but yeah.
    Also I know its not allowed to ask what class to play but I'm really unsure about what to play atm.
    My options is Rogue, dk or mage, dps on all.
    I'm kind a stugeling to find 1 I want to play because there's so many rogues and dks around now and melee's doesnt seem to be wanted in guilds.
    So this is why I'm asking about which spec and so, so I can be ready for content etc.

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    I don't know if I would say that any of the specs are exactly "Bad". From what I understand, arcane seems to be pulling ahead of the other two with fire coming in second and frost at third. While all three of them still can do pretty well when you look at a raid as a whole.

    Something you should take into consideration is you having fun with what you are playing. Unless you are aiming at going for heroic kills next week or so, and looking at your gear and the fact that you seem to be looking for a place to raid in general, min-maxing when it comes to the specs shouldn't be that big of a concern for you.

    If you want to play fire, go right ahead and do it. Shouldn't take all that long to get your gear up to the point where you can play fire without any real problems.

    These are just my thoughts and opinions, I'll leave it up to you and the people that will scold me for this to decide how much of a bastard I am for putting it out there.

  3. #3
    Well.
    I used to be a caster as a main before but late in Wotlk I switched main to A warrior and later a dk.
    So I havnt been playing a caster for like almost 2 years? Dno the exact numbers lol.
    I feel like I cant play caster now again for shit, seems like I always have to move from something in raid, and that I never have time to be casting.
    I dont know if its true or me just being "paranoid" of casting, since I dont want to get hit by stuff or yeah.

    So since arcane is mostly standing still in the ring of power, I feel like I'm fckd anyway.

  4. #4
    It's all bias. As far as fire and arcane goes, I'm pulling ahead as fire when compared to 14/14 arcane mages on almost all fights. 552 Ilvl with immerseus trinket though, not sure if it's of any value to you.

    There are obvious exceptions but fire is massive in SoO.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Llyth View Post
    It's all bias. As far as fire and arcane goes, I'm pulling ahead as fire when compared to 14/14 arcane mages on almost all fights. 552 Ilvl with immerseus trinket though, not sure if it's of any value to you.

    There are obvious exceptions but fire is massive in SoO.
    Everyone says this about their current spec and how they play it, like you said, bias. OP frost is very good for low ilvl, fairly users friendly and in my opinion to most fun of the Mage specs. Having said that it is severally lacking in damage on the top end. From my exp (12/14 atm) arcane is better then fire on ever normal fight but fire is by no means bad. Also arcane pvp is unbelievably fun.

  6. #6
    Dreadlord Csnyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    sarasota
    Posts
    876
    you said 'I can see that I have to play arcane or frost'. who is forcing you to play those?
    arent you paying to play this game like everyone else? who took your freedom of choice away?
    you said 'I want to play fire'. play fire then, great players are doing very very well at it in SoO
    great players learned to adapt to the changes and thrive as fire.

  7. #7
    Fire is solid if you have the gear for it. People saying that Fire is bad now have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

    Gear required would be around 11-12K crit rating, anything under that and frost will be better.

  8. #8
    High Overlord Henzington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    184
    Fire is good if for no other reason then it has the lowest movement penalty of all 3 specs. The damage is lower with the combustion nerf but its still respectable relative to other classes/specs.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenbud View Post
    Everyone says this about their current spec and how they play it, like you said, bias. OP frost is very good for low ilvl, fairly users friendly and in my opinion to most fun of the Mage specs. Having said that it is severally lacking in damage on the top end. From my exp (12/14 atm) arcane is better then fire on ever normal fight but fire is by no means bad. Also arcane pvp is unbelievably fun.
    Don't get me wrong here, I am arcane at heart and play it better than I do fire. I wish it was THE spec this tier, however even my mastery ridden fire gear pulls ahead :/

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Llyth View Post
    Don't get me wrong here, I am arcane at heart and play it better than I do fire. I wish it was THE spec this tier, however even my mastery ridden fire gear pulls ahead :/
    I haven't tried fire yet this tier, but looking at top logs i don't see any fire mages? At the moment as arcane i have a few top 10 parses <all specs>. I did a few 10 minute tests with full buffs as both and i was pulling about 30k higher as arcane. I know i wasn't moving like a raid encounter but 30k dps is pretty noticeable. Who knows maybe i can't play fire, but it is the spec i'm most familiar with. At this gear level <550> I wouldn't count out arcane....

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchez View Post
    I haven't tried fire yet this tier, but looking at top logs i don't see any fire mages? At the moment as arcane i have a few top 10 parses <all specs>. I did a few 10 minute tests with full buffs as both and i was pulling about 30k higher as arcane. I know i wasn't moving like a raid encounter but 30k dps is pretty noticeable. Who knows maybe i can't play fire, but it is the spec i'm most familiar with. At this gear level <550> I wouldn't count out arcane....
    Of course not, not for normals at least. However, as per usual heroic introduces a lot more movement which I'm pretty sure will manifest fire as the progression spec overall. Apart from Immerseus and Galakras ofc :P

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Llyth View Post
    Of course not, not for normals at least. However, as per usual heroic introduces a lot more movement which I'm pretty sure will manifest fire as the progression spec overall. Apart from Immerseus and Galakras ofc :P
    I tested quite a few of the heroics, not enough movement to be a detriment for the most part. It will likely be the same in this tier as it was in the last tier, fire and arc stay fairly even, but fire is more represented and therefore looks way ahead. Both specs are in a really good place right now though.

  13. #13
    525 or less > frost
    535 to 545 > arcane
    545 + fire

    based on experience but may change depending on how well you play each spec.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by voltaa View Post
    I tested quite a few of the heroics, not enough movement to be a detriment for the most part. It will likely be the same in this tier as it was in the last tier, fire and arc stay fairly even, but fire is more represented and therefore looks way ahead. Both specs are in a really good place right now though.
    Bear in mind here you also play 25, I do 10. I tested the heroic 10's as well, and in 10, when there's mobility chances are as a mage you'll be doing it. That said, in a 25 I'd put other people on it, and keep mages of any spec stationary as well.

    Last tier proves this point more than anything, when you find yourself targeted by every 2-4 abilities, you're really looking away from arcane. Again, I hope I'm wrong and end up playing arcane, but I don't see it happening for the most part.

  15. #15
    Fire is still quite viable so long as you have the appropriate ilvl. Anything 540+ is good to go for fire.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Llyth View Post
    Bear in mind here you also play 25, I do 10. I tested the heroic 10's as well, and in 10, when there's mobility chances are as a mage you'll be doing it. That said, in a 25 I'd put other people on it, and keep mages of any spec stationary as well.

    Last tier proves this point more than anything, when you find yourself targeted by every 2-4 abilities, you're really looking away from arcane. Again, I hope I'm wrong and end up playing arcane, but I don't see it happening for the most part.
    Haven't done ten man progression since DS, you bring up a good point, mechanics in ten man are the suck.

    There are a few fights where on ten man I could see arcane just underperforming, IMO just regem for progress, I know that if there is a fight where arcane ends up really lacking on heroic this tier, I'll be busting out my cha-yes and crit gems to progress on it.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by voltaa View Post
    Haven't done ten man progression since DS, you bring up a good point, mechanics in ten man are the suck.

    There are a few fights where on ten man I could see arcane just underperforming, IMO just regem for progress, I know that if there is a fight where arcane ends up really lacking on heroic this tier, I'll be busting out my cha-yes and crit gems to progress on it.
    For sure, Immerseus and galakras are obvious arcane fights even in 10.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Purdy View Post
    Also I know its not allowed to ask what class to play but I'm really unsure about what to play atm.


    I mean seriously...I closed a thread about this, what, an hour ago? Please just play the game, read the stickies, and figure out your life for yourself. Our forums aren't Oprah.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •