Thread: SoO best spec

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by voltaa View Post
    So, my opinion after our first 14/14 clear lasr night, is arcane, there is hardly movement this tier and fire just doesn't have the gear to compete with arcane at this point, I do believe fire will pull ahead at the end of the tier, but starting heroics next week, I think many mages will be arcane, I know that 3/4 mages in my raid group are.
    Then again what do you exactly base this on? We don't really gain anything from crit anymore, and haste and int gains are pretty much linear towards crit. Mastery isn't that major booster anymore that it was in 5.2-5.3, What we will have is abt the same crit, lots more int and haste come BiS SoO. Am not saying Fire scales bad, just saying that it scales nearly as good as Arcane(a bit worse), but it will prolly not catapult infront of Arcane in scaling even at BiS.. Now, I haven't been looking at anything lately due my guild situation and been on the down low trying to figure out if am gonna continue playing this game, so there might be something I don't know that catapults fire, but I really don't see it.. that is unless we get to 50% or more buffed haste, but that needs like crazy mode ratings(18,5k or so) and I don't think we can reach that.. Unless the set bonus proves a much higher bonus at 50% haste, that we will shave off crit to achieve it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Then again what do you exactly base this on? We don't really gain anything from crit anymore, and haste and int gains are pretty much linear towards crit. Mastery isn't that major booster anymore that it was in 5.2-5.3, What we will have is abt the same crit, lots more int and haste come BiS SoO. Am not saying Fire scales bad, just saying that it scales nearly as good as Arcane(a bit worse), but it will prolly not catapult infront of Arcane in scaling even at BiS.. Now, I haven't been looking at anything lately due my guild situation and been on the down low trying to figure out if am gonna continue playing this game, so there might be something I don't know that catapults fire, but I really don't see it.. that is unless we get to 50% or more buffed haste, but that needs like crazy mode ratings(18,5k or so) and I don't think we can reach that.. Unless the set bonus proves a much higher bonus at 50% haste, that we will shave off crit to achieve it.
    That's why I said I believe it will pull ahead, not that I am certain that it will be ahead. The way I see it is mastery will scale better than people are saying, everyone is saying it is "useless without huge combustions" and that it is a burst stat, but since the start of the expansion I thought that fire mages were undervaluing mastery, I remember in 5.0 and the start of 5.2 when everyone just said to stack haste after crit. I think this will be the same situation where someone will realise "oh hey, mastery is a great throughput stat after x point".

That's why I said I believe it will pull ahead, not that I am certain that it will be ahead. The way I see it is mastery will scale better than people are saying, everyone is saying it is "useless without huge combustions" and that it is a burst stat, but since the start of the expansion I thought that fire mages were undervaluing mastery, I remember in 5.0 and the start of 5.2 when everyone just said to stack haste after crit. I think this will be the same situation where someone will realise "oh hey, mastery is a great throughput stat after x point".
    Well, we knew mastery would be a great stat for fire after around 60% crit rate on spells even during Beta. But the combustion nerf hurts that scene quite badly, now sure combustion still does damage, but the gain from 1% of mastery at +70% crit rates is no way near what it was before the combustion nerf. I just can't see the same happening now. Our crit at 5.4 BiS seems to be staying around the same as currently, so we pretty much only gain int and haste, which don't really have synergy with mastery in a way that crit had before the combustion nerf..

Quote Originally Posted by Manhands View Post
    Here's arcane's current playstyle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg7sDhl6iHI
    Im watching his playstyle, and im confused. Hes using arcane missiles randomly (im guessing because its higher dps than AE) and he doesnt have the 2 set/4 set.
    If you look at the mage from ScrubBusters, and some other mages, and i agree with them. They all say its the same for 5.4 as it was for 5.3; Stick with 543 (double upgraded ofc) HC T15 4 set. Its too good. Garrosh Helm is BiS for off-piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostyspeed View Post
    Im watching his playstyle, and im confused. Hes using arcane missiles randomly (im guessing because its higher dps than AE) and he doesnt have the 2 set/4 set.
    If you look at the mage from ScrubBusters, and some other mages, and i agree with them. They all say its the same for 5.4 as it was for 5.3; Stick with 543 (double upgraded ofc) HC T15 4 set. Its too good. Garrosh Helm is BiS for off-piece.
    Uhhh, I don't know what you are seeing, but he does have ToT 4 set, he's camping max stacks using NT and AE to stay there and unloading missiles, seems to be doing everything right. Also legs are our off-tier.

Uhhh, I don't know what you are seeing, but he does have ToT 4 set, he's camping max stacks using NT and AE to stay there and unloading missiles, seems to be doing everything right. Also legs are our off-tier.
    What i was refering to was the 2/4 set of T16; my mistake. I didnt think he was camping at 4 stacks, and thus concluded that he was using the missiles for T16 2/4 set.
    Also, im not sure about helm vs legs, they seem pretty close

Also legs are our off-tier.
    Guessing legs from Juggernaut, but aren't the T16 legs 1 of the 2 mastery pieces? Or are you talking Raden pants and T15?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenbud View Post
    Guessing legs from Juggernaut, but aren't the T16 legs 1 of the 2 mastery pieces? Or are you talking Raden pants and T15?
    I'm talking Jugg legs, though I do agree with frosty that the garrosh helm is close, but in the last raid of an xpac, I don't worry so much about BiS, as I do pre-clear BiS, since full BiS really does nothing for you but get you to level 91 a little faster.

I suppose as I have been sitting here with my vindictive signature for four patches and it's now the final raid of the expansion, how many of you believe right now would place Arcane "in the toilet" as a DPS spec?

Arcane is better mostly on normal, but on hc fire gona be still best specc due more movement that gona be there. Hold for like some hc bosses and everything gona be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I suppose as I have been sitting here with my vindictive signature for four patches and it's now the final raid of the expansion, how many of you believe right now would place Arcane "in the toilet" as a DPS spec?
    Rotation wise, I would agree, and what I saw from heroic testing, I wouldn't make arcane as good as people are saying just yet. Given it's not the lowest spec, not by far even on movement fights. And funnily enough atm, it works better in PvP than Frost does with the current gear levels. But that is mostly cause frost bad atm

10+ Year Old Account
    As usual, no good can come from this thread.

It is best off to be locked, just like the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Akraen View Post
    As usual, no good can come from this thread.

It is best off to be locked, just like the other one.
    And yet another would rise, it's almost better for people to actually read the title and post accordingly. This thread is abt people's finding on how specs work atm and theorycrafting on how the specs will carry on for heroic and +10 ilevels with new sets, weapons and trinkets.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    And yet another would rise, it's almost better for people to actually read the title and post accordingly. This thread is abt people's finding on how specs work atm and theorycrafting on how the specs will carry on for heroic and +10 ilevels with new sets, weapons and trinkets.
    But if you just read the title and post accordingly then you run into 2 issues.

1. People don't actually know which spec will be best on average.

2. No spec will just be "better" both arcane and fire will have their fights, maybe frost will have one, but there is no "best" spec

10+ Year Old Account
    But if you just read the title and post accordingly then you run into 2 issues.

1. People don't actually know which spec will be best on average.

2. No spec will just be "better" both arcane and fire will have their fights, maybe frost will have one, but there is no "best" spec
    Exactly. And we end up having the same argument in every thread on the front page.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm currently loving arcane. It's a solid mix. Great AoE, Great burst, Great single target, Good mobility. In my opinion, frost struggles with single target, but great cleave. Fire struggles with AoE, but has great single target. I will be playing Arcane, with off spec of frost for SoO, as some fights may require cleave.
    Fire mages will need the AMP trinket off of Immerseus to counteract the combustion nerf.

Quote Originally Posted by Shortys View Post
    I'm currently loving arcane. It's a solid mix. Great AoE, Great burst, Great single target, Good mobility. In my opinion, frost struggles with single target, but great cleave. Fire struggles with AoE, but has great single target. I will be playing Arcane, with off spec of frost for SoO, as some fights may require cleave.
    Fire mages will need the AMP trinket off of Immerseus to counteract the combustion nerf.
    When you say "some fights may require cleave" are you suggesting you will be going frost for cleave fights? If you are trying to be optimal about things, arcane is the spec to go for cleave, if you throw a nether tempest on two targets next to eachother, that's about 100k dps, that's some of the best passive cleave in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just to reiterate, because it seems to be forgotten every patch cycle, that asking what class, spec, race is best is not following forum rules. Gonna go ahead and lock this.
    BfA Beta Time