Page 1 of 29
... LastLast

Did Horde b***h this much about Arthas being a raid boss?

So, I just watched the interview on Legendary and they mentioned Alliance being upset that Horde are getting all the attention, and I've read the posts on the official forums with the alliance complaining about it, and I understand they're feeling a little left out lately, but it did make me wonder:

Is it just my faulty memory, or did people not complain even NEARLY as much about the Lich King being a raid boss and that being pro-alliance lore?

For those who don't know the lore behind it, Arthas was the human prince of Lordaeron before he was corrupted by the Lich King and went on a horrific journey of slaughtering his own people before journeying to the Frozen Throne and taking up the Lich Kings armor, fuzing himself with the essence of Nerzhul (sp?) who was the Lich King at that point.

With the exception of the raid actually happening IN Orgrimmar, this is nearly the same situation in my opinion; Horde lore character who has a complex growth story within his own faction but gradually grows to become a villain that is beyond his own faction that commits atrocities upon both sides and becomes a target of each faction regardless of his previous association. To my recollection, when that happened with the Lich King, it was understood that he was a "neutral evil", but this time around it is "Horde centered".

The alliance gets to storm Durotar, crash through the gates, invade our most guarded of sanctums and kill our Sha-empowered, bloodthirsty, insane, former Warchief. I don't see how there's a downside to that from the alliance perspective, and while I play a horde character I have read every book and am a fan of the lore from both sides.

Honestly, as horde it feels LESS compelling of a story if anything, because the immersion factor is just not there. If I'm outside of the raid I can go to Orgrimmar and sure as hell, Garrosh is still there and I can't even attack him. I'm gonna be at that auction house buying flasks and then storming Orgrimmar and fighting outside it, then 2 hours later I'm gonna be selling the BoEs we got at that same damned auction house. The WoW space-time continuum is going to freak out!

Admittedly though, I do think they should at least come up with some sort of treaty as to why the Horde gets to keep Orgrimmar, to at least give it some realism. Even if it is only something lore-wise and symbolic with no-impact on the world (read- takes no design time or effort), like make the Horde "pay" for the reconstruction of Theramore or something like that.

Anyway, just my thoughts on this issue.
    Druidjezus' Law: "As the length of any online discussion increases, the probability that [insert any topic here] will be mentioned approaches 1, duh."
    I am the Druid Jesus, and I approve of this message.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Filthy Alliance Scum - Always complaining
    - Dac

"Hue Hue Hue"-Bahjeera

There was a bit of complaining I remember, but most people really wanted to kill Arthas so it didn't matter.

There was way, WAY more bitching about the LK ending and Bolvar taking the throne *Spoiler *. Actually remembering all that still annoys me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    You're full of shit honey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    You should have no expectations for the next expansion IMO...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm so glad you made this thread. I've fed up with alliance moaning and bitching too and wanted to make a post, but didn't have the energy knowing the outcome would be the same, Alliance fanbase believing they have justification that the story be all about them.
    #boycottchina

Some complained about Arthas from what I recall, but they were few and far between.

I believe most of the reason why Alliance are whining about Horde favoritism in MoP is that they think that Cataclysm was a Horde expansion because of how prominent Thrall was featured, despite him not being a Horde character in that expansion. Basically they think that there are two expansions in a row that are Horde-centric which isn't true. That and I think they've been very gung-ho about vengeance for Theramore and had very very unrealistic expectations for what would happen (hence them being upset that they don't burn down Orgrimmar or place it under martial law, which only a fool would think would happen).

Arthas=Scourge since when was Arthas the king of Stormwind and took over half of the Hordes territories?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I'm so glad you made this thread. I've fed up with alliance moaning and bitching too and wanted to make a post, but didn't have the energy knowing the outcome would be the same, Alliance fanbase believing they have justification that the story be all about them.
    Arthas isn't part of the alliance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    We have had multiple threads of white people complaining that black people were offended over some racist thing some white person said.
    Here we have a thread of white people offended over something some racist black person said.
    The key difference is that the white people in this thread aren't being told "shut up stop being offended get over it."

Very few Alliance players complain about the story. Most complaints are about how it was presented.

OT: Saying Alliance have more to do with the Lich King is like saying the Horde have more to do with Deathwing. Arthas had equal importance in lore for the Horde as he did for Alliance (Forsaken arguably just as much as Humans).

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    People will always complain about something I guess that is human nature. :/

Quote Originally Posted by dashflash890 View Post
    Arthas=Scourge since when was Arthas the king of Stormwind and took over half of the Hordes territories?

- - - Updated - - -

He never really stopped being the "king of lordaeron" did he though?
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Garrosh is not a member of the horde either, he made a new faction the iron horde or w/e. And pretty much exiled or impaled all the other races.

10+ Year Old Account
    mmm... Arthas was the Prince of Lordaeron. And the Horde is quite happy to tell you they deserve Lordaeron as it's the Forsaken's real home and that they're the rightful owners. Not complaining.. but pretty sure that means horde didnt have to bitch, because Wrath wasnt that alliance heavy?

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    So Alliance, in your opinion, should take the backseat for Mist of Pandaria in terms of lore and ingame representation, just like they did in Cata? And people being upset over doing so is them bitching?

Quote Originally Posted by taurenguard View Post
    Garrosh is not a member of the horde either, he made a new faction the iron horde or w/e. And pretty much exiled or impaled all the other races.
    Garrosh has not been in the 'Horde' sense 5.3. Arthas wasnt in the Alliance since WC3, 9 years before his appearance (6 in lore)

Hardly comparable.

Lordaeron isn't a part of the current Alliance. Had we went to stop Anduin from conquering the world that would have been a different story. Garrosh is legitimately still in Orgrimmar and calling himself "The True Horde." Arthas never claimed to be "The True Alliance."

Even worse. Arthas would technically be a Forsaken.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds an awful lot like the pot calling the kettle black if you ask me.

Deleted
    Lich King/Arthas: One of the games most iconic villains, hardly a Alliance character after becoming the lich king.

Garrosh: Warchief of the Horde in which his raid is in the Horde capital.

there is a massive difference here.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by babo7000 View Post
    So Alliance, in your opinion, should take the backseat for Mist of Pandaria in terms of lore and ingame representation, just like they did in Cata? And people being upset over doing so is them bitching?
    The problem is the massive QQ about nothing. Every day I see threads about this and it gets old. It's a game play it, go with the flow, it's supposed to be fun. Maybe blizzard should just make an alliance focused expansion to shut all those people up for once.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tanzlee View Post
    Lich King/Arthas: One of the games most iconic villains, hardly a Alliance character after becoming the lich king.

Garrosh: Warchief of the Horde in which his raid is in the Horde capital.

there is a massive difference here.
    There is also a difference that Arthas was a great hero and prince while Garrosh was a nobody.

Arthas isn't an Alliance hero.

Your argument is invalid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by taurenguard View Post
    There is also a difference that Arthas was a great hero and prince while Garrosh was a nobody.
    You mean a nobody who is the son of Grom Hellscream one of the most iconic horde characters in Warcraft history?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Arthas isn't an Alliance hero.

Your argument is invalid.

Mmm, better save it, KrazyK. They like to ignore that fact to keep justifying it all.