Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xgis View Post
    I really don't know why you would give such a advice. LoD is my no means bad. I use it more then a few times to say the least. Another poster a page back told a guy to take it of he's bars while using EF witch is just stupid and a very bad advice. learn to use it early on and take advantage of its strengths is my advice.
    This is wrong. If you're using EF the strength of the spec is using EF as your HP spender. By using LoD you're not using the spec to it's full potential AND a LoD heal + beacon is less than the amount healed by a single EF direct heal + hot + beacon. If you want to LoD spec SH.
    Living the casual life, oh yeah.

the only fight in soo where the play-style you are suggesting is viable is malkorok imo. passing up a LoD because theoretical healing might be higher on paper is just bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyrotten View Post
    This is wrong. If you're using EF the strength of the spec is using EF as your HP spender. By using LoD you're not using the spec to it's full potential AND a LoD heal + beacon is less than the amount healed by a single EF direct heal + hot + beacon. If you want to LoD spec SH.
    This.

Also it's not just theoretically higher. It is higher in actual healing situations. There is a reason that when you look at logs, EF is going to be our #1 or #2 heal on every encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hainiryuun View Post
    This.

Also it's not just theoretically higher. It is higher in actual healing situations. There is a reason that when you look at logs, EF is going to be our #1 or #2 heal on every encounter.
    If you re read what i wrote you will find that i did not argue LoD vs EF healing. EF will be your top healing spell yes, but ignoring LoD is Bad and is not sound advice for people new to paladins. it is a playstyle high end players should not go for unless you are meter padding.

But hey, what ever floats your boat i guess.

EDIT: i should also point out that this is from a 10man H perspective. i can not speak for a 25man healer.
    Last edited by xgis; 2013-11-19 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyrotten View Post
    If we recieved an application from a Holy paladin who said he didnt ever use LoD and had just removed it from his bars, i would tell my officers to decline him.
    LoD does have its strenghts, and the advice someone gave about removing LoD from ones bars, is a horrible advice.

EF might be the better choice to cast 97% of the time, but if i see 5 or more dropping low fast, then im going to throw out a LoD.

Knowing when to use EF vs LoD is how u can tell a good holy pala from a not so good one imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarius View Post
    If we recieved an application from a Holy paladin who said he didnt ever use LoD and had just removed it from his bars, i would tell my officers to decline him.
    LoD does have its strenghts, and the advice someone gave about removing LoD from ones bars, is a horrible advice.

EF might be the better choice to cast 97% of the time, but if i see 5 or more dropping low fast, then im going to throw out a LoD.

Knowing when to use EF vs LoD is how u can tell a good holy pala from a not so good one imo.
    Lol, you're joking right? That paladin in my opinion is brilliant. If you are using EF then there is not a time you should be casting LoD.

THERE MIGHT BE a time where you're in a 10 man and all 10 people have a strong EF ticking on them and AOE damage is going out... THEN SURE, cast 1 LOD... but if you are using LoD when you have EF talented then you are doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Juicyjonny View Post
    Lol, you're joking right? That paladin in my opinion is brilliant. If you are using EF then there is not a time you should be casting LoD.

THERE MIGHT BE a time where you're in a 10 man and all 10 people have a strong EF ticking on them and AOE damage is going out... THEN SURE, cast 1 LOD... but if you are using LoD when you have EF talented then you are doing it wrong.
    Im talking from a 25m hc perspective, and im not joking.
    If u only care about whoring and getting high ranks, sure, just remove LoD, but if u care about saving ppl, then u should know that there're situations where LoD is better to cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Juicyjonny View Post

If you only cast one LoD during an entire encounter you are doing it wrong. So im assuming you are trolling.

Assuming you're in a fairly good guild, you're not the audience that the advice is aimed at. The 'Take LoD off your bars' advice is aimed at new players or people who are just using LoD too much and have become used to it, the reason its advised is so you force yourself to use EF more and understand when to go "oh shit, LoD would have been great here". Its all about reconditioning your automatic reaction to 5 people losing health, from instantly pressing LoD because its what you're supposed to do, to thinking about whats going to happen to those 5 people in the future, are they going to be continuing to lose health to the point of needing emergency heals, are they going to drop to a happy medium where they can be healed up efficiently by things like Efflorescence, Wild Growth, Eternal Flame, Renew, Circle of Healing, Atonement, the list goes on but the thought process is what its trying to promote. Noone is saying that taking off LoD is what every Paladin should do, we're just saying that its an easy way to recondition yourself into a better healer.

Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    Assuming you're in a fairly good guild, you're not the audience that the advice is aimed at. The 'Take LoD off your bars' advice is aimed at new players or people who are just using LoD too much and have become used to it, the reason its advised is so you force yourself to use EF more and understand when to go "oh shit, LoD would have been great here". Its all about reconditioning your automatic reaction to 5 people losing health, from instantly pressing LoD because its what you're supposed to do, to thinking about whats going to happen to those 5 people in the future, are they going to be continuing to lose health to the point of needing emergency heals, are they going to drop to a happy medium where they can be healed up efficiently by things like Efflorescence, Wild Growth, Eternal Flame, Renew, Circle of Healing, Atonement, the list goes on but the thought process is what its trying to promote. Noone is saying that taking off LoD is what every Paladin should do, we're just saying that its an easy way to recondition yourself into a better healer.
    Pretty much this. And as you said, Clarius, in 97% of situations, casting EF is going to be better than LoD, would you not agree that it is easier to tell a person to take the ability off their bars and just use EF and have them figure out and learn when LoD can be used? It's all about making sure said players don't just go "OMG LITTLE DAMAGE WENT OUT USE LoD!!1!" Players raiding heroics shouldn't need to be told that every ability you have has a function in a certain time or certain place. The players the advice is aimed at aren't likely thinking about things like "Will multiple people die unless I cast LoD right now?" "If I use LoD will it be able to actually hit 6 people to get the full benefit?" "Is the tank taking a lot of damage so will be more efficient to keep him alive via EF on the raid vs just topping off the raid with LoD?"

That being said, I can still usually count the number of times I use LoD on an encounter on one hand. And usually never at all on Immerseus, Dark Shamans, Nazgrim, Malkorok, or Spoils for heroics.
    Last edited by Hainiryuun; 2013-11-19 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hainiryuun View Post
    Pretty much this. And as you said, Clarius, in 97% of situations, casting EF is going to be better than LoD, would you not agree that it is easier to tell a person to take the ability off their bars and just use EF and have them figure out and learn when LoD can be used? It's all about making sure said players don't just go "OMG LITTLE DAMAGE WENT OUT USE LoD!!1!" Players raiding heroics shouldn't need to be told that every ability you have has a function in a certain time or certain place. The players the advice is aimed at aren't likely thinking about things like "Will multiple people die unless I cast LoD right now?" "If I use LoD will it be able to actually hit 6 people to get the full benefit?" "Is the tank taking a lot of damage so will be more efficient to keep him alive via EF on the raid vs just topping off the raid with LoD?"
    Guess it makes more sense to me when u put like that :P

10+ Year Old Account
    the only fight in soo where the play-style you are suggesting is viable is malkorok imo. passing up a LoD because theoretical healing might be higher on paper is just bad.
    False.

If you only cast one LoD during an entire encounter you are doing it wrong. So im assuming you are trolling.
    If you are prioritizing Light of Dawn while being specced for Eternal Flame you are doing it wrong and really have no business giving healing advice to anyone.

And every time we have a paladin apply to my guild whose logs show them using LoD as much if not more than EF while being EF specced, I tell the officers to decline them. Their numbers are horrible for a reason.

The amount of paladins I see everyday speccing EF (simply because the top paladins do it) and then spamming LoD is staggering.
    Last edited by Freia; 2013-11-19 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freia View Post
    And every time we have a paladin apply to my guild whose logs show them using LoD as much if not more than EF while being EF specced, I tell the officers to decline them. Their numbers are horrible for a reason.
    Yes i agree

Quote Originally Posted by Freia View Post
    False.

If you are prioritizing Light of Dawn while being specced for Eternal Flame you are doing it wrong and really have no business giving healing advice to anyone.

The amount of paladins I see everyday speccing EF (simply because the top paladins do it) and then spamming LoD is staggering.
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=3149&e=3806

Number of LoD's 67
    Number of EF's 51

Boss dead.
    am i a bad healer ? no.

So basically you have told your officers to pass on potentially great healer because your bad advice.
    Last edited by xgis; 2013-11-19 at 08:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Number of LoD's 67
    Number of EF's 51

Boss dead.
    am i a bad healer ? no.

So basically you have told your officers to pass on potentially great healer because your bad advice.

Nope. I have never told our officers to pass on a good healer. Their numbers were bad and a big reason was overuse of Light of Dawn while speccing Eternal Flame.

As for your logs, boss would have been dead and the raid would have been healed effectively if you actually knew how to utilize EF properly. If you want to spam LoD, go Selfless Healer. Just stop spreading your horrible advice.
    Last edited by Freia; 2013-11-19 at 08:11 PM.

Number of LoD's 67
    Number of EF's 51

Boss dead.
    am i a bad healer ? no.

I would like to take the opportunity to /facepalm here.

You obviously don't know how to read logs, 67 refers to the number of TARGETS you healed with a non-crit LoD.

That's not the number of casts, nor even the total number of targets you healed with LoD(total number is 94 targets healed with LoD btw).

And that is not even factoring in your LoD healing accounts for 10% of the amount you healed with EF. Way to link a log that directly contradicts your argument. /golfclap

Finally, the keyword here is "prioritizing". Do you know what that word means? It means that, under normal circumstances you use something(EF) over the other(LoD). So obviously, that also means under abnormal circumstances you can choose to use something else(LoD over EF).
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

EDIT: i should also point out that this is from a 10man H perspective. i can not speak for a 25man healer.
    LOD is worse in 10 man than 25 man, if you're specced EF.

Not only that, lets take this even further. First, if you actually truly did use LoD and EF that many times, that means your LoD's, which you wasted, at an absolute minimum, of 67 HP on only did 2.4% of your total healing. An absolute misuse compared to EF which did 22.1% of your healing with LESS HP. But luckily, you just can't read a log properly, let me help you.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...ght+of+Dawn%22

You actually only used LoD 16 times this fight. The number of times where LoD actually healed everyone for SOMETHING (aka, didn't do 100% overheal) was 3 times. You know how many times where you literally healed for ZERO and had 100% overheal on all the people you casted it on? Twice. The number of times where only 1 person actually got a heal? 2. Then another 4 where 2 "technically" get healed, but one of them was for such a minimal amount that it might as well have been straight overheal. An unbuffed LoD hits for only. So about half of your LoD uses were basically complete wastes, other than throwing a 25k shield on some people (and it probably wasn't anywhere close to that amount. That's assuming LoD actually hitting a person for 50k and 50% mastery, which are both unlikely). 3 actually good uses of it, and some "OK" uses when EF still probably would have been better.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    I would like to take the opportunity to /facepalm here.

You obviously don't know how to read logs, 67 refers to the number of TARGETS you healed with a non-crit LoD.

That's not the number of casts, nor even the total number of targets you healed with LoD(total number is 94 targets healed with LoD btw).

And that is not even factoring in your LoD healing accounts for 10% of the amount you healed with EF. Way to link a log that directly contradicts your argument. /golfclap

Finally, the keyword here is "prioritizing". Do you know what that word means? It means that, under normal circumstances you use something(EF) over the other(LoD). So obviously, that also means under abnormal circumstances you can choose to use something else(LoD over EF).
    Alright thanks for pointing out my not so good log reading, despite the condescending tone of yours i appreciate it.

As for the healing done by them both you are like others again missing the argument im trying to make. witch i dont know how to make any clearer at this point to be honest.

Despite my misreading of my log it still stands valid imo.

@Freia

Its not horrible advice, its sound advice.
    why would you spam LoD ? i suggest you read up at my previous posts as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like a broken record.

Post respectfully. No "you suck, uninstall, gquit, stop posting", no calling people trolls, no "you're wrong because I say so", no calling names.