Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PeggBundy View Post
    Show me where in the bible it says aliens exist...can't? Thought so.
    Show me in the Bible where it says that Jesus wasn't a raptor.

Quote Originally Posted by PeggBundy View Post
    Show me where in the bible it says aliens exist...can't? Thought so.

Deleted
    No evidence of it. For all we know life on earth is one of the most improbable flukes, in which case we just might be alone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Simply because there is no proof.
    Any evidence so far is circumstantial or inconclusive, and so can really be hard for some to put faith in what is repeatedly a lot of nothing.
    Exactly this.

I do not believe in fairies, or Santa, or Odin & Thor, because in spite of all the efforts to prove their existence by those who believe in them, none has been able to provide one single piece of evidence that would hold up a scientific examination.

This means belief in ET is purely an act of faith, and as such, entirely artbitrary. People who choose to believe in "things unseen" that leave no evidence behind will pick a God or Goddess or something else that due to their non-substantial interaction with the physical world cannot be proven not to exist. Mostly whatever such deity you choose to believe in depends on where in the world you grow up, or in what context. Extraterrestrials just tend to be favored by people growing up with SciFi movies being more important reference material than say the Quran or The Bhagavad Gita or Snorri's Edda and his Viking Sagas.

Not saying intelligent life doesn't exist in other places in the Universe, there is a good chance it does, but it is remarkable that we have seen no proof of it as of yet. The fact we haven't seen such evidence COULD be interpreted as a massive worldwide conspiracy involving millions of people who mysteriously all manage to keep quite and not have a "Snowden" among them. Or, it could be interpreted that there simply, for whatever reason, does not exist any evidence.

If you are in any way scientifically inclined, you know about Occam's razor. And by that measure, the latter explanation is by far the sensible one.

As for 80 year old Canadian former ministers saying in old age that they are believers... Well, have you any idea how many old duffers to who happen to at some point have held the title "Minister" in some country around the world, who now, in their advanced age, say they believe in some crazy s**t?

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    Not really. Assuming there's life in the universe somewhere is really not even an assumption. It's too big of a place for there to not be life.
    That is an assumption. There are too many unknowns.
    On top of that, assuming that we will never find it or that it will never find us is also not really an assumption, because of how huge the universe is and if there was anything particularly close to us we'd have found it by now.
    This is also an assumption because it assumes a specific limitation on human/alien travel.
    The only assumption is that if alien life ever came to Earth we would be screwed, but let's look at the history and the fact that every time one group of people "discover" a new land they kill everyone in the area (I'm looking at you Columbus) and if they manage to get to Earth it means they're hundreds of years more advanced than we are, so we'd really have no chance at all.
    This is also a huge assumption.

I should note that not believing that aliens exist is not the same as believing that aliens do not exist. The second point of view assumes knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    This is also an assumption because it assumes a specific limitation on human/alien travel.
    But there is a limitation to "human/alien" travel.. the limitation is that no amount of energy, matter or information can travel faster then the speed of light. Getting anywhere in this universe is not for one looking for an afternoon cruise.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xZANGEITIx View Post
    I am not the biggest UFO or alien manic. But recently I have been thinking about it more and more. I mean even some government officials in the US and Canada have even said that they believe in the existence of aliens. So why do we keep saying no to aliens even though average US and Canadians citizens are finding out more and more about this.

Change the subject. It's a big difference to assume they have not visited us and not believing they excist.

Quote Originally Posted by MiLLeR View Post
    But there is a limitation to "human/alien" travel.. the limitation is that no amount of energy, matter or information can travel faster then the speed of light. Getting anywhere in this universe is not for one looking for an afternoon cruise.
    Until a way around it is discovered, if that happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    because there isn't any proof.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because there is no evidence. The notion that the aliens there are, look like us, prove how it's all rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Until a way around it is discovered, if that happens.
    There are theoretical ways around it

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the mind control program done by the Illuminate and the CIA forces us to Deny the existence of Extraterrestrials!
    "The Xbox one sucks and the PS4 isn't as Ready as my Body" - Reggie Fils-Aime

My Friend Code is 1864 - 9258 - 8679 PM me if you add me so I can add you back!

10+ Year Old Account
    I was told by my mother at one point that if anything were to be found regarding extra terrestrial life, it would be classified as Top Secret. She worked for NSA back in the 90's so she did at one point have Top Secret clearance but it's not like she had access to NASA or anything... Or that I know of.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Members of government believe it? Must be true. Suppose I'd better resubscribe to Christianity then if the Republicans are anything to go by!

There is no, zero, zip evidence.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Untill people realise that other lifeforms do not need water persé they won't even try and search for us, except maybe for a laugh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    Not really. Assuming there's life in the universe somewhere is really not even an assumption. It's too big of a place for there to not be life. On top of that, assuming that we will never find it or that it will never find us is also not really an assumption, because of how huge the universe is and if there was anything particularly close to us we'd have found it by now.

The only assumption is that if alien life ever came to Earth we would be screwed, but let's look at the history and the fact that every time one group of people "discover" a new land they kill everyone in the area (I'm looking at you Columbus) and if they manage to get to Earth it means they're hundreds of years more advanced than we are, so we'd really have no chance at all.
    And now you are assuming that the aliens have the same screwed up selfish minds of humans.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    why do we know that water is wet ? Because we have empirical evidence of it.
    until we have evidence of life on another planet, Even microbial then we cannot say scientifically that Alien life exists.
    I believe it that you haven't watched the news closely enough and gladly want to inform you about the fact microbial life has been found on mars! However to me actual extraterrestrial life has to be at least the size of a fly haha, hopefully we'll find that kind of stuff within a couple of hundred years although I think it's high unlikely ^^

Quote Originally Posted by dwarqon View Post
    I believe it that you haven't watched the news closely enough and gladly want to inform you about the fact microbial life has been found on mars!
    Got a link for that?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    I'm certain in my "belief" that "aliens" do exist, but that begs the question.

What are they like? Are they a more mature species in the cosmos, mastering space flight - or are they confined to their planet, unable to travel even within their own system.

That also raises markers about intelligence, do they even think like us? Are they of a higher intellect, how do they communicate with each other, how well armed are they?

All the above is relevant, but i'm of the opinion that we will stumble around space eventually and inadvertently come across them.

If this is the case, i can imagine us either killing or subjugating them and stripping there planet of useful resources for the Imperium of swag.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dwarqon View Post
    I believe it that you haven't watched the news closely enough and gladly want to inform you about the fact microbial life has been found on mars! However to me actual extraterrestrial life has to be at least the size of a fly haha, hopefully we'll find that kind of stuff within a couple of hundred years although I think it's high unlikely ^^
    Wrong. Some researchers believe that there might be microbial life on Mars, or that it possibly have existed there in the past. None have been found.

On topic: It's statistically probable that there is life on at least one other planet out there. But the universe is silly big. The odds of said alien life to ever have come into contact with us are smaller than the odds of a lightning bolt striking me down this very second.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    I'm certain in my "belief" that "aliens" do exist, but that begs the question.

What are they like? Are they a more mature species in the cosmos, mastering space flight - or are they confined to their planet, unable to travel even within their own system.

That also raises markers about intelligence, do they even think like us? Are they of a higher intellect, how do they communicate with each other, how well armed are they?

All the above is relevant, but i'm of the opinion that we will stumble around space eventually and inadvertently come across them.

If this is the case, i can imagine us either killing or subjugating them and stripping there planet of useful resources for the Imperium of swag.
    It is quite possible that life exists that is so foreign and strange to us that we wouldn't even recognize it as "life".
    Last edited by Tzalix; 2013-09-12 at 09:01 AM.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss