Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I wouldn't quite call the place a catch up mechanism, the 496 gear at this point is worthless in almost all scenarios, and you can get like one or two 535 items in grinds that take FOREVER and the gear is like worst in slot for the item level. Blizz could've tossed in something a bit more viable, even if it takes a few weeks, that gives something better than 496. Did I mention they are wearing off the novelty of, well, novelty items? There's like 100 different things that make you look like a pirate, or a skeleton, or a skeletal pirate..... take it easy with that stuff blizz lol.

Personally as someone who has about 5 90s and several others coming up and was getting rather sick of the whole converting JP to honor gig, the Timeless Isle was a god send.

And giving out 496 gear isn't going to break the game nor is letting people have the occasional 435 gear either. None of that's going to make any fresh 90 viable for actual SoO raiding. Unless you're some crazy mofo who spends far too much time farming coins to get burdens out of that hozen's chests... well then, more power to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    Don't be so arrogant as to assume that a good streak of luck on your own translates to a good drop rate for everyone else. I personally went from 15000 coins to 3000 without anything but a few leather tokens to show for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    I wouldn't quite call the place a catch up mechanism, the 496 gear at this point is worthless in almost all scenarios, and you can get like one or two 535 items in grinds that take FOREVER and the gear is like worst in slot for the item level. Blizz could've tossed in something a bit more viable, even if it takes a few weeks, that gives something better than 496. Did I mention they are wearing off the novelty of, well, novelty items? There's like 100 different things that make you look like a pirate, or a skeleton, or a skeletal pirate..... take it easy with that stuff blizz lol.
    I'm gonna help you guys out a little. There is a chest on the very top of the island, in the western part of ordos structure, that guarantees a drop (once a week maybe?) of one of those upgrade items. If you have a legendary cloak start by going across the bridge. If you don't have cloak but know someone who does have a cloak and a 2 seat mount, you can get across the bridge. If none of those, get on an albatross, drop into the red lake up there. Jump down and run around the front of the building get on your mount and zoom as fast as you can past the mobs, into the entrance of the western area and try to die right in front of the chest. Corpse run back and open the chest, standing right next to the chest will aggro zero mobs. You may have to die a few times, but it will be worth it. Confirmed to work on my main and 2 alts, and several other people I know. Now quit complaining on mmo-champ and go read more about how to get stuff on the island. On the front page of this site is a chest guide. Good luck. And pirates are awesome. <3

Quote Originally Posted by ManOluck View Post
    Blizzard has reached an all time low with this "catch up" mechanic. Some people may like the fact that you can get 10-20 "epics" an hour on the timeless isle and gear your alts but really do you feel like you earned anything? Do you have any sense of accomplishment?

The timeless isle feels more like fast food than actual content. Sure it filled that hunger to gear your characters but after you're done the process in as little as an hour or 2 whats next for you? Obviously you're not going to pursue normal modes you missed out on with your alts, no... you need the gear now to get into the next LFR.....

So by all means run around the little island( that looks like it was made in an afternoon at Blizzard HQ with some editor) and get your "epics" that should be coloured grey/green considering they are rediculasly common (dont believe me? check out the price of sha crystals on your server)

anyway the Isle will get boring fast when people realize fast food content isn't good for the game.

Quality over quantity.
    I dont have much of a issue with them give a way for alts to gear up but i wish they would make it so these timeless isle catch up items cant be disenchanted sha crystals have lost half their value in one night on my server.

Deleted
    The only thing I find disgusting about the Timeless Isle is the mobs that target ANYONE in the area with charge/stun, even if you're not in combat with them. Not only is it extremely disruptive (esp. when you're fighting a different mob), it's another griefer's paradise. (in other words, yet another example of Blizz trolling their playerbase)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensui06 View Post
    I dont have much of a issue with them give a way for alts to gear up but i wish they would make it so these timeless isle catch up items cant be disenchanted sha crystals have lost half their value in one night on my server.
    Sha crystals are about a year old now. There's other things on the island worth more money now. It's not a big deal. Farm those pets that drop from rares/nests/mobs for example, cage them, and sell them to all the pet battlers who will be leveling up pets for the tournament. Get your engineer/BS/leather/tailor out there and get the new plans to make new stuff. Sell the glyph recipes that drop. I'm gonna not feel bad because enchants are cheaper now. I mean, if you can get 10 times as many crystals you can sell 10 times as many enchants. Sorry I just can't cry about that. It will help people catch up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Staticus View Post
    The only thing I find disgusting about the Timeless Isle is the mobs that target ANYONE in the area with charge/stun, even if you're not in combat with them. Not only is it extremely disruptive (esp. when you're fighting a different mob), it's another griefer's paradise. (in other words, yet another example of Blizz trolling their playerbase)
    First of all that is only the mobs in the hardest part of the island. Second of all they hotfixed that so they won't charge you unless you're in combat with them now. It is NOT another example of blizz trolling their playerbase, you can just kill turtles/cranes/ghosts/etc. if you don't like the hard mobs. Or get a tank to help you like I did and get lots of coins fast. It is a tradeoff.
    Last edited by finskee; 2013-09-12 at 10:58 PM.

Epics have been easy to get since TBC. This whole "I PLAYED VANILLA THIS ONE TIME" delusion is getting insane

I don't mind a catch up mechanic but I wish it wasn't the Isle.

The Isle had promise to be a great zone to go to that was a bit different, now it's literally just turned into a farm for people to gear up their alts.

I'd much rather it was an optional thing that's mainly there for exploration and vanity items, let the epics drop somewhere else

I thought this would be about "griefer" isle. Only 2 days in and bloody coin raids have taken over.

Free, low-level gear thrown at your alts so that you can bring them into the lowest difficulty of the final raid tier straight away.

It's been this way since Wrath. You must be new around here, OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Or you can get one for 500 coins from the collectors chests. That's where I've gotten mine, fairly good drop rate and more often then not you get the coins back if you dont get one.
    I've bolded this hoping more people see it. If you want Burdens, go play with the monkeyboxes. If you don't have at least one inside of spending 5k coins, then, yes, the universe truly is conspiring against you.
    Last edited by Salted Beef; 2013-09-12 at 11:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm okay with it. Mostly because LFR bores the fuck out of me and it's a faster, less annoying alternative for getting alts geared.

I really like the idea of Timeless Isle catch up. Let's don't fool ourselves, catch ups were and will always be a part of WoW, so let's just choose the best idea of them. Slowly improving JP vendor items? Lame. Reputation grind? Lame. 2-3 dungeon spam? Lame. JP->HP conversion and PvP gear grind? Lame.

How about, let's see, working for your own catch up? Having to explore and kill stuff on your own or with friends, awarding the more active and skilled players with better chance for loot, awarding the exploration and knowledge about the isle? Now that's quite cool actually.

I spent some time there with my Warrior, and I'm having a ton of fun gearing him up, mostly hunting for the evasive Burdens. Sure, the items won't make me the Avatar of Tanking, but it will lead me quite well to Flex and maybe some normals quite soon. My main hunter has a lot of fun there as well. What can be funnier in a RPG game than killing the living shit out of everything around?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    Yeah, the epics drop quickly, BUT the Burden of Eternity isn't so easy. You either grind your ass of to get one for 50k Timeless coins, or you get lucky finding the chests that have them.
    Scroll up a few posts, read my post about how to get a guaranteed burden chest.

I don't know why it matters anyways, the gear in SOO lfr will be better starting next week...

10+ Year Old Account
    My only issue with the island are the albatrosses.

Quote Originally Posted by finskee View Post
    Scroll up a few posts, read my post about how to get a guaranteed burden chest.

I don't know why it matters anyways, the gear in SOO lfr will be better starting next week...
    Unless they changed this from the PTR, it's not a once per week loot, it's a one per character loot.

Deleted
    this thread is new and interesting.
    Catch ups mechanic in a form or another have been always implemented. And people have complained very long and very, *very* hard about missing catch up mechanics and the expansion being not enough alt friendly.

Considering that this is the last raid patch before the next expansion, the rate of drop may also be thought so that you can get multiple characters into SoO.

Considering how abysmal the drop rate in LFR for current raids tier is if you even manage to fully equip one in LFR you can quickly raise another and start to do the raid with them. This have the advantage that you do not have to necessarily pass through previous raid for which the queues are only getting longer and longer and longer and longer and longer and longer and longer.

I don't know why people are still complaining about "epics" while the item being "epic" have been meaningless 3 expansion ago.
    Last edited by mmoc89084f456c; 2013-09-12 at 11:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    I recently made a post about the blazing chest, asking whether it was a one time loot or not. It is. You can only loot it once.
    Ok good to know. I imagine that just means they want you to get the majority of your gear in a raid which I approve of. Cheers.
    Last edited by finskee; 2013-09-12 at 11:13 PM.

I wouldn't call the isle catch up since 496 loot is utter crap

It should have been at least 520ish

I think they dropped the ball on the disenchanting, they should not be able to be disenchanted at all.
    Fragments or otherwise, thats still a ridiculous amount.

However their ease of availability is not an issue, when in reality that "minimum" for SoO LFR is not representative of what players expect.
    Its fine as a catchup due to lack of alternatives such as dungeons.
    Also the isle is a lot more than just that gear, so really needs the gear grind to be a small portion of that, something it achieves pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    I wouldn't call the isle catch up since 496 loot is utter crap

It should have been at least 520ish
    535 is possible, but not baseline so that is just fine.
    Getting gear that JUST meets the LFR requirement is understandable, gear that well exceeds it is not.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-09-12 at 11:16 PM.

If it means dropping the obscene price on Dancing Steel weapon enchants, I'm all for it.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"