Thread: Prot pallys SoO

Prot pallys SoO

Just a few Questions / things to get looked over with the other paladins

Did my first guild SoO run last night, went fine, avg gear is like 542 or some crap or was...
    Tanking wise i felt like Iron Jug really hammered me - Also Malkorok did.
    I used Eternal Flame on every boss because SS nerfs / i wanna get use to the playstyle. Mainly EF at 5 stacks of BoG.
    Also I was trying Holy Avenger/talent tree - I mained Holy Avenger in t15 and can't get out of the habbit of using it now - i did try SW but it felt sloppy.. and also Divine purpose - i never have good luck with DP..

So yeah what are people thinking? I feel paladins got gimped a bit (needed) and it'll be much better w/ 4set for Eternal Flame. What talent out of Holy Avenger tree and why? I heard SW + DP are better, i tried it but i don't see much difference at all, With SW i just Jugde -> Cs -> judge or so, normally get off around 11 SoTr before AVenging wraths fades. I like Holy Avenger for the, I shall not die CD - especially on a fight like malkorok.

Personally, I went with DP and EF and had 0 issues. A couple of times during Galakras I think an SS absorb wouldn't have hurt, but I just popped a CD and rode the EF ticks. DP can be a tricky one, as sometimes I'll have 7 DP procs in a row, and then go for about 30s with 0-1, but all in all, I don't think I'm gonna go back to HA, and I've never used SW. Besides damage and healing nerfs, which I'm not complaining about because honestly we were doing too much, I don't feel all that gimped.

Deleted
    Stayed with SS for the first 6? Bosses so far and it felt decent, but the numbers seems to ensure that well have to switch to EF later on. I also stayed with DP for 75er TIER

I'm also like at like 542 gear, though no tier set. This is my alt and i gonna go with my alt-group on saturday into 10m SoO (we downed 6/13hc with this group).

Can anyone say if they needed the Legendary tank cloak? I currently have the dps one. What about the LMG? Currently still the dps one equipped, but I'm thinking to change to the tank one. How hard do the first 6 bosses hit? Maybe someone can post they % of damage of each of the legendary procs.

Might also try out EF actually, as I really want to get 4T16 - though 5 people on the token...

Never thought about using Divine purpose... How many procs do you usually get? Might even try that out (just reread thecks talent recommendations). Does it average out better than HA? Of course HA is nicer as a CD, but i pretty much always used in on CD, so that takes some value away...

(Sorry 'bout my english, not m native language)
    Last edited by Hntr; 2013-09-13 at 10:49 AM.

Can anyone say if they needed the Legendary tank cloak?
    It procced on average once per Dark Shaman attempt (25N) but that is a clusterfuck of an RNG "you can't stand here...oh whoops, can't stand there either...you could stand here, but then the melee can't attack the boss because the line of elementals will kill them...how about I move over to the red marker...nope, a tornado just spawned there...oh look, lots of blobs are coming, can't take the boss down there" fight. If it wasn't in the Valley of Strength (say they put it in the Sha of Pride room) it would be an easy fight (although I guess that is the point of a siege - you fight on their terms, not yours).

Quote Originally Posted by Hntr View Post
    I'm also like at like 542 gear, though no tier set. This is my alt and i gonna go with my alt-group on saturday into 10m SoO (we downed 6/13hc with this group).

Can anyone say if they needed the Legendary tank cloak? I currently have the dps one. What about the LMG? Currently still the dps one equipped, but I'm thinking to change to the tank one. How hard do the first 6 bosses hit? Maybe someone can post they % of damage of each of the legendary procs.

Might also try out EF actually, as I really want to get 4T16 - though 5 people on the token...

Never thought about using Divine purpose... How many procs do you usually get? Might even try that out (just reread thecks talent recommendations). Does it average out better than HA? Of course HA is nicer as a CD, but i pretty much always used in on CD, so that takes some value away...

(Sorry 'bout my english, not m native language)

Sitting at 544 after 2 SoO upgrade peices, no tier still... I ran with dps Legendary meta and cape, they're doing together 10% or just over, not because the tank meta isn't good now - but i've been wanting to wait for a new helm before taking it xD. Would recommend the meta gem though, cape... Not so much depends really, i've died a lot more than i did back in ToT - but i have a feeling it's mainly because of the new playstyle...

I tank with a war partner and he seems to be very strong early this tier - On a few bosses i felt squishy compared to him which happened never in the past xD.
    Basically go with tank meta, stick with dps cape - theres not many bosses where cape is going to be insanely helpful, mainly (in my opinion) it'll be helpful on Dark Shamans (but again it's just move into open space fight), Iron Jug (?), Malkorok and Siege. Iron Jug felt like he hammered me a lot, but i was taking bombs, and being a moron i didn't use bubble/bop for them. Malkorok - first time tanking easy but can get a bit messy, depends on how your raid does w/ soaking i guess. Siege... If you reach him you'll feel (or i did anyway) that you struggle to take 3x stacks of his debuff. Random insta gibs can happen on that fight.

Used EF for all fights atm, tried SS on Klaxi last night, but it's very weak compared to EF... Also used Holy Avenger on all fights, i want to try DP but i'm addicted to HA and afraid i may always be xd.
    Last edited by TwentyTwelve; 2013-09-13 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwentyTwelve View Post
    I tank with a war partner and he seems to be very strong early this tier - On a few bosses i felt squishy compared to him which happened never in the past xD.
    Basically go with tank meta, stick with dps cape - theres not many bosses where cape is going to be insanely helpful, mainly (in my opinion) it'll be helpful on Dark Shamans (but again it's just move into open space fight), Iron Jug (?), Malkorok and Siege. Iron Jug felt like he hammered me a lot, but i was taking bombs, and being a moron i didn't use bubble/bop for them. Malkorok - first time tanking easy but can get a bit messy, depends on how your raid does w/ soaking i guess. Siege... If you reach him you'll feel (or i did anyway) that you struggle to take 3x stacks of his debuff. Random insta gibs can happen on that fight.

Used EF for all fights atm, tried SS on Klaxi last night, but it's very weak compared to EF... Also used Holy Avenger on all fights, i want to try DP but i'm addicted to HA and afraid i may always be xd.
    Ye also HA addicted

The reason I ask is because i don't wanna be the reason for wipes. I will take a the tank-gem with me to have it in the inventory, but will not socket it at first.
    But honestly I doubt i will die a lot, because i consider myself a pretty good tank, could easily take hits where other tanks i tanked with struggled. I usually tank with a monk, but she is away this weekend so i have to take a random with me (druid). Also i think we down the first 4 or 6 bosses. I don't expect that we kill shamans in the first week.
    I was pretty sure already that i won't use the tank-cape but just wanted to make sure that it is not essential. For 25man i would maybe take the tank cape but 10m is a joke.

It procced on average once per Dark Shaman attempt (25N) but that is a clusterfuck of an RNG "you can't stand here...oh whoops, can't stand there either...you could stand here, but then the melee can't attack the boss because the line of elementals will kill them...how about I move over to the red marker...nope, a tornado just spawned there...oh look, lots of blobs are coming, can't take the boss down there" fight. If it wasn't in the Valley of Strength (say they put it in the Sha of Pride room) it would be an easy fight (although I guess that is the point of a siege - you fight on their terms, not yours).
    God this fight is such a mess. My main is a rogue in a 25m raid and this fight is just... ugh. Not looking forward tanking it, but then again i will be raiding 10m with my paladin, so this fight will probably so much easier.

God this fight is such a mess. My main is a rogue in a 25m raid and this fight is just... ugh. Not looking forward tanking it, but then again i will be raiding 10m with my paladin, so this fight will probably so much easier.
    We ended up doing the tank switch during the blob spawn cast, as Kardris stands still for ten seconds at that point, so the tank on her can move to Haromm, taunt, and then the Haromm tank can run to Kardris and taunt her, and neither of the bosses moves an inch.

I won't be doing SoO on LFR unless in a guild group, that much is certain.

Deleted
    I didn't used the DPS-LMG, so I can't say much about it, but for the DPS-cloak: 5-10% of my avg DPS. 5-7% on single target, and 10-13% on Galakras/Spoils. Sadly WoL isn't working yet with SoO, so I can't show logs. >_< But it was fairly nice. For the first 11 (10N) bosses, the tanking-cloak felt unneeded/useless, there are barely big-nukes, so you can't game those either.

Well, DP isn't bad for some of the fights (Protectors, Galakras, Shamans, Spoils, Paragons), but on the remaining fights the procs while off-tanking are wasted, and that is a bigger drawback than HAs. Normally it has ~ the same HP generation as HA, just that HA is more bursty, while DP is more even.

Deleted
    This giant T-Rex fight is a fight for which i'd go for example, fights where u rnt tanking for ~50% of the time.

You can use DP procs to heal the raid :P

Deleted
    You can use HA to heal the raid too! Yet I wouldn't recommend it. Although it is more reliable that using DP procs.

Using DP procs to heal the raid is:
    1) uncontrollable, you cant guarantee that you get it during the right phase,
    2) outside of high-raid-damage phases it is unneeded and waste of resources (you give up on a BoG stack + the HoPo, for something that will be healed by HoTs/smart-heals),
    3) questionable in efficiency, as it doesn't benefits from the self-cast & BoG modifier. While the initial heal is nice, the HoT part is rather weak even with high-vengeance.

I would trade higher beneficial up-time on my AM vs dubious raid-healing anytime.