Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Movies] New Harry Potter themed movie revealed!

Hey guys,

I haven't found the news on any english site yet, I will update as soon as I do, but according to danish site TV2.dk, J.K. Rowling just announced a new Harry Potter themed movie will be coming out!

http://go.tv2.dk/2013-09-12-ny-film-...et-p%C3%A5-vej

It will be called "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them", and is based on the Hogwarts book of the same name. It will take place roughly 70 years prior to Harry Potter being born and is not a prequal or anything of the sorts. J.K. Rowling will be the script writer.

STAY TUNED FOR UPDATES!

EDIT:

BBC Article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24067557

Other sources:
    http://www.hypable.com/2013/09/12/ne...ts-jk-rowling/
    http://perezhilton.com/2013-09-12-ha...owling-writing
    http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/warn...d-film-series/
    Last edited by Nibu; 2013-09-12 at 04:36 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Call me a cynic, but I think Warner Bros just misses it's yearly half billion dollars.

That's exactly what I'm thinking as well It's all about teh money

But to be completely honest, personally, I don't care. I just want me some more of that universe!

15+ Year Old Account
    "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them", aka "Customer's Wallets and How to Milk Them".

10+ Year Old Account
    I couldn't care less of Warner Brothers intentions, I'm excited. Whether they are making it just for the money or not doesn't remotely effect my happiness when hearing the news . They are a company after all so the bottom line is they want to make money, but again that really doesn't matter.

I am hoping that this is a good step towards J.K revisiting the world in a bigger way down the road.....more books perhaps, that is almost too amazing to even hope for lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    This a big surprise, here is a translate for you.
    http://translate.google.com/translat...%25C3%25A5-vej

Or even better:

Film company Warner Bros has announced., That JK Rowling will be responsible for the screenplay for 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them', which is the first in the line of a new film series that takes place in the well-known Harry Potter universe.

The new film will not be about Harry Potter, but instead spinoff of the popular movie about the young wizard.

The films instead it builds in a magical textbook from Hogwarts, as Harry Potter among users. The book is called just 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' and written by Newt Scamander nature, which also have a significant role in the new film.

- It all started when Warner Bros. suggested me to do 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' to a movie. I thought it was a fun idea, but it was hard to get it to fit with Newt Scamander. I have lived so long in my fictional universe that I have been overprotective, and I already knew a lot about Newt. As a hardcore Harry Potter fans will know, so I liked him so much that I let his grandson, Rolf, marry Luna Lovegood, one of my favorite characters from the Harry Potter series, writes JK Rowling on its official Facebook Page .

Harry Potter's mother makes it clear that there is neither neither a prologue or a successor to the Potter films, but despite everything, will take place in the same universe with goblin men, witches and magic. The story takes place 70 years before Harry Potter is born and will initially follow Newt Scamender in New York.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Call me a cynic, but I think Warner Bros just misses it's yearly half billion dollars.
    No, Rowling just realized that she can't write anything as successfull as HP ever again and that she can cash in much easier on continuing it.

Wasn't expecting our return to Harry Potter to be about beasts... Doesn't WB realize the potential of a prequel or sequel series? There is so much money to be made, and I would be ecstatic to see it as a fan.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    No, Rowling just realized that she can't write anything as successfull as HP ever again and that she can cash in much easier on continuing it.
    I don't understand this. She is so young, and she is a brilliant author. What more could she ask for to do more with the Harry Potter universe. Should would instantly have huge opportunities, just by the nature of the franchise. I hope she is just resting and will be ready to start writing more Harry Potter soon. But still, it's not like we can force her to do anything

Harry Potter's world is a very good and well crafted world. Making two big universes that you pour everything into is hard. There'd be a huge and enormous pressure, and she'd probably never make anything so big a hit as Harry Potter, this generations youngsters book series. If she feels like her universe can still be explored and be a vehicle for new stories, she's welcome to try it. And the fact that she's writing the script herself is quite impressive.

Every writer wants their stories to get an audience and be enjoyed, but everyone wants to have a legacy. The universe could become a legacy that lived beyond the seven years described in the Harry Potter series, like Star Wars has evolved into an universe outside the six movies.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2013-09-12 at 06:23 PM.

Harry Potter: The Search for More Money

Loved the books, liked the movies, but this doesn't interest me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Harry Potter's world is a very good and well crafted world. Making two big universes that you pour everything into is hard. There'd be a huge and enormous pressure, and she'd probably never make anything so big a hit as Harry Potter, this generations youngsters book series. If she feels like her universe can still be explored and be a vehicle for new stories, she's welcome to try it. And the fact that she's writing the script herself is quite impressive.

Every writer wants their stories to get an audience and be enjoyed, but everyone wants to have a legacy. The universe could become a legacy that lived beyond the seven years described in the Harry Potter series, like Star Wars has evolved into an universe outside the six movies.
    I think the main idea is that, with the universe of Wizards that HP is set in, little was really seen as most of everything centered around Harry and his "I'm the chosen one," tripe.

Then again, I really don't think it's deserving of such expansion. I won't say that the books are bad, but they are very overrated. And the world itself is somewhat generic in several areas.

But eh, the movies made money, it makes sense that they'd want to milk the cow more. Can't wait for when Twilight gets the idea and starts doing it too...
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Having read her other book, I agree. Then again, those Harry Potter books can write themselves at this point. I mean, she set up a Universe where just about anything is possible so you can take any story in any direction. It's like writing a Star Trek book...

I can almost guarantee that she's going to write another book in the HP world and I guarantee it will be made in to a film.

10+ Year Old Account
    But... If the movie is good, why do you care? If it's not bad, why would it bother you that they make it only to make money? Seriously, come on...
    And even though it's reached new heights, I rather like the restless nights. It makes me wonder, makes me think there's more to this, I'm on the brink. It's not the fear of what's beyond, it's just that I might not respond! I have an interest, almost craving, would I like to get to far in?!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    But... If the movie is good, why do you care? If it's not bad, why would it bother you that they make it only to make money? Seriously, come on...
    There are 8 Harry Potter movies and I only really liked one of them. The books are far more enjoyable.

And todays news : Big movie companies make movies to PROFIT FROM THEM /rollseyes
    Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

15+ Year Old Account
    There are 8 Harry Potter movies and I only really liked one of them. The books are far more enjoyable.
    Which one did you like? DH P1 was my favorite.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

They always are. Different types of media have different strengths, and most really good stories won't work as well when converted into a new media, unless there's a different take on it, like with Lord of the Rings which had a more visual and "heroic" take on the movies, instead of the poetic and mythological "thing" the books had.

I'm always sad that so few movies or TV-series creates a fantasy universe of their own. Come on, you've been half-way there in five decades!

There was too much money to be made not to do another movie. It's just a matter of the when and what type of movie they end up doing. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

Deleted
    good.
    It might be a blatant cash in by Rowling and WB, But I loved the HP books and Movies. The big Kid in me is looking forward to this.