Using SS to keep opener dots longer

This basically takes advantage of the 3 seconds you have to put your dots on a new target.

I actually figured this out after I put this video up, but, I'm pretty sure the most optimal strategy is Inhale > Haunt > Exhale when you have shards and Inhale > FF > Exhale when you do not, that gives you time for a haunt, uses the full 3 sec you have for soul swap which will extend dots even longer and gives you no downtime. With how weak MG is I can't see this being a loss. You also need to figure in the time NOT spent recasting dots.

You need to make sure Agony is at 10 stacks, which happens very quickly on a normal opener. I didn't do that in the video either.

The question is whether the extra time on dots is worth not using MG.
    Last edited by Livendula; 2013-09-12 at 09:47 PM.

Hope this shit doesn't work because this game is getting stupid. 4 second random proc windows on trinkets that make or break your dps and now retard inhale/exhale mechanics to boost dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a very good warlock, and there's no way I'd be able to do that routine in a real fight, and I'm pretty sure I won't be alone. If this is the way to the best DPS, then my DPS will lag behind this patch I'm afraid. That looks like such a hassle. Not to mention it won't work if you don't have a 2nd target to swap to.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I'm not a very good warlock, and there's no way I'd be able to do that routine in a real fight, and I'm pretty sure I won't be alone. If this is the way to the best DPS, then my DPS will lag behind this patch I'm afraid. That looks like such a hassle. Not to mention it won't work if you don't have a 2nd target to swap to.
    It's pretty similar in execution to the old SS bug. I was really just curious, I quit raiding anyway.
    Last edited by Livendula; 2013-09-12 at 11:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Livendula View Post
    It's pretty similar to in execution to the old SS bug. I was really just curious, I quit raiding anyway.
    This will likely be abused just as much if it works as well as I think it does. This is a pretty active part of the warlock community, so when more people have seen this thread, and more people have tried it, there'll undoubtedly be more theory crafting about if it's a gain, and how much if so.

Though, there may be some reluctance to do it with HC progression this close. We'll see.

I've already been doing this, and while it does boost your dps, it is not something you can keep up forever like the old SS mechanic as whenever you exhale>inhale the duration of the dots goes down slightly so eventually they will run out.

When it comes to the power it retains, is it still the same case of "only haste effects are saved on corr/ua" or is everything saved?

Quote Originally Posted by Micke View Post
    I've already been doing this, and while it does boost your dps, it is not something you can keep up forever like the old SS mechanic as whenever you exhale>inhale the duration of the dots goes down slightly so eventually they will run out.

When it comes to the power it retains, is it still the same case of "only haste effects are saved on corr/ua" or is everything saved?
    No, it retains everything.

Deleted
    should also be possible to keep MF'd seed of corruption going for a pretty long while, which is pretty OP as fuck, basically allowing afflic to aoe while moving like our other specs once you get off your first seed ofc.
    Last edited by mmoca748dddcc2; 2013-09-13 at 02:07 AM.

Coming from a higher end raider if this is the new meta I hate my life.

Deleted
    Ugh.

I'm really not sure I like this new SS malarkey compared to last patch (SS bug excluded).

Sorry guys, I take it back, just delete it.

Like I tried to explain to you on Twitch, this isn't really worth doing =[. You're basically trading every gcd for 1.5 seconds extra of DoTS at the cost of your entire MG damage. Maybe on 5 target multidotting that lasts more than 30s it might result in a gain, but you lose any ability to focus DPS into key targets, and such a situation is rare anyway.
    Last edited by EvreliaGaming; 2013-09-13 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EvreliaGaming View Post
    Like I tried to explain to you on Twitch, this isn't really worth doing =[. You're basically trading every gcd for 1.5 seconds extra of DoTS at the cost of your entire MG damage. Maybe on 5 target multidotting that lasts more than 30s it might result in a gain, but you lose any ability to focus DPS into key targets, and such a situation is rare anyway.
    You can more than double the duration of your fully empowered opener dots. I really doubt the damage put out from Malefic Grasps outperforms that.

That said, it's not very useful on most fights.
    Last edited by Livendula; 2013-09-13 at 03:14 AM.