Alienware 14 worth the price tag?

Ideally, I would like to be able to run League of Legends, Elder Scrolls Online, and Skyrim on high settings. After researching and reviewing my different options, i'm not entirely sure which laptop offers the best bang for your $$$.

List of laptops:

• Alienware 14
    • CyberPower Fangbook EVO HX7-200
    • MSI GX60
    • Upcoming Macbook Pro
    • Lenovo Y510p
    • Other suggestions/recommendations?

Budget is between $1000-$1900
    Prefer 14-16 inch screens
    Looking for it to last 2-3 years
    Last edited by Sun; 2013-09-12 at 11:49 PM.

Lenovo, MSI or the Fangbook are likely your best options that you listed.

Personally, I would go with XoticPC. Specifically this one that starts out at ~$1,200.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Specifically this one that starts out at ~$1,200.
    i have the previous generation of that model (p150), it plays everything pretty well, skyrim especially, the keyboard is not the best (roll over issues), and the touchpad is crap but otherwise its very good, i had mine made without any badges or branding, so it just looks like a cheap generic laptop, which is a nice counter to the flashy asus and msi gaming laptops

i would recommend it any time

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Personally I like ASUS and trust them more than most of those I have heard lots of positives on Lenovo though. This ASUS is pretty beast
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834231089

I suppose I should list why I wouldn't get the Alienware or the Cyberpower Fangbook. It's real simple, everything not mentioned is the 3rd party cheapest piece of hardware they can find. Meaning they use generic motherboard, ram, and etc. ASUS sells all of it's individual parts minus a few (HDD and Power supply) and they are well known for their quality. To me it a do you want a machine made by the guys who made all the parts in the system or the guys who are slapping whatever third party crap they can find in it and slap their name brand on it and make a profit.

Also, I can't say anything negative about a Mac besides the cost. I have a three year old Macbook Pro and it has been the best laptop I have ever owned.
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2013-09-13 at 06:55 PM.

Deleted
    Try this Fangbook Evo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834198030 at $1379. IT comes with GTX770M and a good quality. There was also a slightly worse Notebook for $1350 with a micro-SATA SSD and HDD, but with GTX760M graphics.

I've lobbied for the Lenovo laptop on this forum before, however have to say I was disappointed. The HDD+SSD cache doesn't seem to be a viable solution if you're used to SSD speed because the 5400pm 1TB HDD is just way too slow. Also, I found the Centrino wireless N card to be lackluster at keeping a decent connection.

While the above seem like just annoyances, one of the biggest peeves I had was that the BIOS is locked down and Whitelisted. For example, the network card seemed poor and the build quality of the Lenovo is fantastic...easily accessible and removable components. However, you can't just put in ANY Wireless card. I purchased a Killer Wireless dual band, and the BIOS failed to boot because the Killer network cards are not allowed on the device.

So while the machine as a whole is good for the price, keep in mind that you won't be able to swap components easily unless you hack the BIOS.