Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post

Also it's pretty easy to go on Kijijji or browse garage sales for used free weights and a bench. Even without a bench there is such a variety of exercises you can do with bodyweight or free weights while standing or using the floor.
    I'd really suggest a decent set of resistance bands, all you need is space and a door and you can do pretty much any free weight exercise plus those of a cable pull machine. all for a cost a fraction of a set of decent free weights.

A decent set of bands is a reasonable price for example http://uk.bodylastics.com/strong-man-xt-set/ which is a decent brand for good quality bands.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chosenkiwi View Post
    :< I can't help my grunting, especially on that last rep. It's usually just for chest and squats though.
    A modicum of grunting is fine....but urrrgh, urrrrGh, urRRGGHH, URRRGHGH,UURRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! from the first rep is totally unnecessary and quite frankly just a little but weird and disconcerting...if for no other reason that instead of sounding macho, it just sounds like an overly excited badger has stumbled into the free weight section...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    What no deads? Do you even lift? LOL

But more seriously, the OP needs to evaluate his diet and then couple a surplus diet with a basic exercise plan (your is to much, and to much unnecessary stuff)

At his level he can stick with just basic push ups, chin up, sit ups, and squats or lunges (body weight, or goblets/db), at least until he builds up his confidence a little.
    I wish , have had an ongoing injury with my hip and lower back which makes them very difficult.

Deleted
    I wish , have had an ongoing injury with my hip and lower back which makes them very difficult.
    And if someone is new Deadlifts can be pretty bad for you if you dont do them correctly. Done right they are a great exercise that works tons of muscles, done wrong and you can really screw over your lower back.

Quote Originally Posted by Haemon90 View Post
    Little bit about myself. Currently I'm sitting at 110lbs and I'm looking to start gaining weight but I'm extremely self concious about my size, not very strong so when I've tried to bench I've only been able to do like 55lbs. So im not really wanting to join a gym by myself

I'm looking to try and gain weight but was wondering if it was possible with just body weight exercises and if so what would be the best routine. If any one can help it would be much appreciated. Thanks
    Oh, it's really simple, believe me. I was in competitive sports when I was young and I've seen dozens of skinny boys gaining half of their previous weight in just 1 year of training.

You need just 3 exercises:
    Squat, bench press, and deadlift.
    With highest weights possible. 2-5 repeats in 3-4 sets. Keep increasing the weight all the time, you should at least triple your weights in 1-1.5 years of training.

If someone tells you to do push ups and crunches - punch him in the face.
    If someone telling you to use a fancy "all in one" training machine - punch him in the face.
    if someone giving you a youtube link with "30 best exercises for your body" - punch him in the face!

You'll need a proper trainer to show you how to do it properly, otherwise you risk to get a a severe trauma that will bother you for the rest of your life. Keep in mind that a fitness trainer from the nearest fitness centre won't do.

You'll need a lot of protein. Lucky for you it's really simple nowadays - you don't have to eat 2 chickens and one steak a day like we have to do back then.
    Whey protein is cheap and exceptionally efficient. Ask your trainer for the advice, but 30-50g 3-5 times a day is all that you really need.

Barbell, 50kg disk weights and a bucket of protein is all you need to gain as much weight as you like. It's that simple, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttfear View Post
    Don't be self-conscious about your size, even Arnold was tiny at some point.
    I highly doubt it. He was definitely bigger than other children of his age. And he started training pretty early, he was already bigger than 95% of the people from mmo-champion community when he was just 16
    Last edited by traen; 2013-09-24 at 10:15 PM.

Deleted
    But 95% of mmo-champ didn't start roiding at a young age

Deleted
    I would strongly suggest you not listen to people saying just to stick with basic exercises such as pushups etc. These will only help you tone your body, you will not be putting on any weight and will reach results much slower. For hard gainers and skinny guys heavy weights are the way to go as results come in after a month or 2 (heavy for you that is). One advantage for us skinny guys is if you eat the right stuff and do heavy workouts you will need very little toning to do, your body will naturally look very well shaped after 6-12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by bthatch View Post
    You will definitely need to add weight to your exercises to gain a significant amount of weight...body weight exercises are usually best for toning. But if you choose to just do body weight exercises I suggest adding protein powder into your diet.
    Very true, took a lot of realising myself. Eating good will HELP define and tone those muscles. Unfortunately for us high metabolism chaps not only do you need to eat the right stuff and a lot of it, you will need to eat even more of it. This is was probably my biggest barrier to overcome as it is hard to force yourself to eat entire meals when you are not hungry.

There are many suggestions I could give for this but I'll keep it fairly simple :

-Wake up early. I like to stick to around 8 hours sleep as this gives me 16 full hours to absorb food, in particular giving longer digestion times between meals and snacks.
    -Once you are comfortable with your meals you won't be counting calories/protein/carbs etc, but at first it is important to know how much you should be eating: get a good feel of what you should be eating. At the beginning I calculated what was in the food I ate. Then calculated how much of it I should be eating to reach my targets. I'd draft out myself a meal plan for the week and no matter what I would stick to it, and if possible go over it. I've mentioned this earlier but still, I use USN hyperbolic mass shakes as a supplement to my meals. Do not use them as replacements to your meals but as fillers, preferably right after exercising. Supplements, store bought or home made are wonderful for that extra bump in food intake.
    -Do not take a day off food and keep exercising to a schedule. When you exercise you get hungry. The more energy you use, the hungrier you'll eventually get. Make sure you exercise 4-5 times a week (3 is really borderline). It is important that you keep the synergy between exercise and heavy meals an ongoing process. The moment you take a break on one, you'll feel less comfortable doing the other. Eventually you will be hungry all the time provided you work out to your maximum potential.
    -Don't give up after X weeks/months. Results can be very disheartening. This is why I only look at my scale once a month. Your weight can fluctuate very much. One day I could weight 70kg, day 2: 69kg, day 3: 69kg day4: 71. Basically don't be disheartened, it is the long-term results that matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    Keep increasing the weight all the time, you should at least triple your weights in 1-1.5 years of training.
    Absolutely! Also one rule I always stick to is if someone is using the weights I want, I will ALWAYS try the weight just above that. Only then do I decide to wait for the ones I wanted or not. Never be afraid to add on weights, after all you are trying to lift the heaviest you can if your goal is to gain weight.

- - - Updated - - -

If someone tells you to do push ups and crunches - punch him in the face.
    If someone telling you to use a fancy "all in one" training machine - punch him in the face.
    if someone giving you a youtube link with "30 best exercises for your body" - punch him in the face!
    Yes! Really you need advice from people who have either overcome your situation or from a PT. So many of my friends seem to have the best advice despite not having any idea wtf they are talking about. Guy at work said I should be doing light weights of about 20 rep sets once -.-, I refused to argue and listen to people after stupid stuff like that.
    Last edited by mmoc472a5d728c; 2013-09-24 at 10:47 PM.

Deleted
    Ask your trainer for the advice, but 30-50g 3-5 times a day is all that you really need.
    That is a shit load of protein..... 90-250g per day in addition to what you get in your normal diet so lets say an average of 170g from just the sups. (thats if I interpreted you right in that you meant that as supplements in addition to what you get from your diet). For that much protein just from the sups you'd need to be pretty fit and weighing about 188lbs to need that (and thats at the upper end of what you need in g/lb).

The OP posted he was 110lbs, which means he needs about 99g of protein if he is trying to put on mass. (lbs X 0.9) at a reasonable rate.

There are some dangers of excessive protein consumption, its not massively dangerous or anything but there are reported side effects. If protein makes up too much of a % of your diet, it can cause dehydration leading to things like kidney stones.
    You need to work out how much you require, and make sure you get that, as part of a balanced diet where protein should really make up no more than 1/3 of your daily calories.

Which is why I say that if you can get it naturally, then do so. Sups have their place, but the OP really should not need many, if any, sups for what he describes.
    Last edited by mmoc7b2c979220; 2013-09-24 at 11:01 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihuitl View Post
    The OP posted he was 110lbs, which means he needs about 99g of protein if he is trying to put on mass. (lbs X 0.9) at a reasonable rate.
    To build muscle and gain weight the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends you consume 1.4 to 1.8 grams per kilogram, or about 0.64 to 0.82 grams of protein per pound of body weight each day. This means a 150-pound person should consume 96 to 123 grams of protein each day to build muscle mass and gain weight.
    I'd say .8g is about right but as previous poster said I'd stick with 0.9. Just make sure you use the right proportion of calories. Pasta (not shitty white pasta ),brown rice and sweet potatoes are your friends in this case. Hmm this is all making me hungry .

Deleted
    I'd say .8g is about right but as previous poster said I'd stick with 0.9. Just make sure you use the right proportion of calories. Pasta (not shitty white pasta ),brown rice and sweet potatoes are your friends in this case. Hmm this is all making me hungry .
    Yeah, the papers I've read seam to come in somewhere from 0.6 to 0.9g per lbs, so I took the highest number just for arguements sake.

people shoudl remember that whilst a bit extra protein should not do much harm, a lot extra over a long period of time can do harm, and you get no benefit from overloading on protein, once you have enough the rest is just calories you dont need which will be stored as fat and hide those nice muscles you are building!

Little bit about myself. Currently I'm sitting at 110lbs and I'm looking to start gaining weight but I'm extremely self concious about my size, not very strong so when I've tried to bench I've only been able to do like 55lbs. So im not really wanting to join a gym by myself

I'm looking to try and gain weight but was wondering if it was possible with just body weight exercises and if so what would be the best routine. If any one can help it would be much appreciated. Thanks
    Before thinking about lifting weights, sort your diet out. 10-20% over maintenance = minimal fat gains (you WILL put fat on when trying to add muscle).
    Not giving a phuck about calories, eating whatever = dirty bulk, lots of fat gains.
    Aim for 1g of protein per lb.

Do a lifting routine. There are countless ones out there that implement strength and hypertrophy.
    All pros <----- highly recommended although progress may seem slow to beginners
    SL5x5
    Babylovers starting strength
    5/3/1 (more suited to "advanced" lifters)

Pick one, eat like a man, lift like a beast, sleep like a baby

Profit

#feelsgoodman

Edit: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculato...alculator.html
    TDEE calculator to find your maintenance. They aren't 100% correct but that's where you adjust it yourself.assuming you wanna clean bulk, u should be aiming for .5-1lb gain a week. If you're gaining too slow, add 100-300 calories each day.
    Last edited by Grand Crusader Absalom; 2013-09-25 at 10:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

That's really a great idea to put up the weight,,
    But make sure that while doing workouts you take some precautions like before lifting weights just make sure that you'd done warmup, then initially don't try to lift more weights slowly and steadily increase your weights to lift up and after ever 1 or 2 months try to change your schedules of workouts,, after all this have a complete rest of 1/2 hr and try to drink some energy drinks, milk with manuka honey, mix vegetable drinks etc this would also help you gain your weight faster.

Eat more. If you eat more calories than you burn, weight increases. Simple as that.
    Intel i5 6600k - Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 @ 2400Mhz - Asus Strix GTX 1080 - Asus PG279Q - Samsung Evo 850 500GB SSD

Deleted
    Check out Funk Roberts, the king of bodyweight excersises.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/marcroops

Even just getting a good kettlebell and doing 80 swings every morning would be good.

However if you want to gain mass quickly you need to do heavy ass compounds. Squat, Deadlift, Standing military press, bent over barbell rows, benchpress. Don´t do bodybuilding programs with 5 day splits and 3x12 bla bla. Start out with some powerlifting stuff and build your base. Mehdis 5x5 stronglift is an excellent start.

it's all depends on your body type and your diet. I personally must eat like a horse to get some weight. It's not about training but about eating.

Go on reddit bodyweight training.
    Get convict conditioning 1,2 and the other training material.
    Use the knowledge on the internet to customize your routine depending on your needs.
    Eat properly and train hard.
    Reach mastery in all moves and enjoy being a ninja.
    Give it time.

Also dont post bodyshots on 4chan/fit

You need 3 exercises to get a full body work out.
    Squats
    Dips
    Pull Ups

those 3 exercises executed properly even at body weight will work pretty much every muscle group in the body, you can also add variation such as lunges instead of squats, pushups instead of dips, pull ups with different grips ect.

Keep in mind as well the most important thing when working out is going to failure. There's literally hundreds of studies on the most effective ways to work out and the only thing that consistently pops up is that the group that went to failure grew more than the group that didn't.

press ups (plenty of different variations)
    pull ups (plenty of different variations)
    squats (again.. loads of variations)
    lunges
    planks

- - - Updated - - -

forgot dips, as if i forgot dips!

and ofc dips!

Deleted
    If you're looking to gain weight/muscle then body weight exercises alone really don't cut it.

You need to go to the gym or if you've got a spare 100 Euros/Dollars/Pounds etc.. buy a barbell and 60kg-70kg worth of weights to go on it. But really, go to the gym people there don't care if you're not ripped. No one's bothered about anything but themselves.

Then you should do either Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength to get you started with lifting. Don't bother with machines or complex workouts at first those two programs are amazing for beginners and will see you deadlifting 100kg and squatting your own bodyweight in no time.

The final key things if you need to eat a CALORIE EXCESS. No matter how hard you work in the gym you will never, ever, ever gain muscle or weight without eating more calories than you need. You should workout your own calorie needs using one of the many calculators online but as a lose guide you need to be eating about 3000 calories a day and approximate 1g of protein for every pound of bodyweight (as you're pretty skinny I'd say 170-200g of protein a day would be good though). Use MyFitnessPal or another piece of software to track your calories so you know exactly how much you're eating. Do not just guess.

If you do all this stuff you'll notice serious gains in 3 months, look great in 6 months and look ripped in a year.

10+ Year Old Account
    No matter how hard you work in the gym you will never, ever, ever gain muscle or weight without eating more calories than you need.
    How does it work for people that are trying to lose weight? They don't gain muscles at all during a diet?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    How does it work for people that are trying to lose weight? They don't gain muscles at all during a diet?
    If you're extremely new you might make tiny gains but they certainly won't be visible to anyone but yourself.

To put on real visible muscle you need to eat 3k calories a day (maybe slightly, slightly less if you're super skinny/sedentary).

If you eat 1500 calories a day and lift you'll lose loads of weight you just won't also gain muscle. It's an either/or situation really.