View Poll Results: Do you think the sentence is justified?

Voters
406. This poll is closed
  • Yes; The sentence is completely justified for these crimes.

284 69.95%
  • No; I do not believe in the death penalty and opt for alternative sentencing.

76 18.72%
  • Indecisive; I'm torn on the sentencing and the conflicting issues at hand that are raised.

13 3.20%
  • Your own opinion; Post it.

6 1.48%
  • Popcorn; I enjoy watching threads being de-railed!

27 6.65%
Page 1 of 22
... LastLast
    Deleted

Delhi gang rapists sentenced to death.

Forgive me if i missed an already opened thread or the like, but this just popped up to me.

So without further ado!

An Indian court has sentenced four men to death for the gang rape and murder of a student in the capital Delhi, a case which led to violent protests across India and new laws against rape.

Mukesh Singh, Vinay Sharma, Akshay Thakur and Pawan Gupta were found guilty on all counts earlier this week.

Judge Yogesh Khanna said the case fell in the "rarest of rare category", rejecting pleas for lighter sentence.

The woman, 23, was attacked on a bus in December and died two weeks later.

On Friday, Judge Khanna said the attack "shocked the collective conscience" of India, and that "courts cannot turn a blind eye" to such crimes.

"This case definitely falls in the rarest of rare categories and warrants the exemplary punishment of death," he added.

One of the convicted men, Vinay Sharma, broke down in tears as the sentence was announced.

Earlier, protesters outside the court had demanded that the four men must be hanged.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-24078339

I'm not for the death-penalty in any circumstance, but I don't think I'll lose a lot of sleep over their killings. I just hope they aren't put on death row for too long.

I'm also curious about how the courts managed to verify their guilt with such conviction. I hope they actually did that, and didn't just give in to public pressure. It could've been only a handful of them that had a hand in the twisted mutilation that took place to the victim, which is the real horror here, and the others might just have been intending to do nothing other than rape her.
    Last edited by Velaniz; 2013-09-13 at 10:05 AM.

I think it's an improvement. The death penalty is not unheard of in India, and I think it's good that this crime is recognized as a top felony.
    Should the death penalty be abolished entirely? Well; in my opinion: Yes. Dead people can't learn, after all. But this particular case did deserve top punishment, and I'm glad that India is moving to a place where crimes against women are being taken more seriously than they previously were.

Broke down in tears the poor thing, did he? Aww...

A human beings life was violated in one of the worst ways possible, even resulting in death afterwards.

These kind of scum is useless garbage on the planet earth, and it's good that they are being removed.

I wish more countries would put in a zero tolerance level for things like this >ASLONG AS< the evidence for those doing it is 100% certain and can be proved as such.

Some human beings shouldn't be adressed as human beings, but rather as savages.
    We live in a good world, being polluted by humans, and messed up by quite a few sick individuals, in regards to both the planet we live on and other individuals ending up having the fate like the rape victim in this case.
    Last edited by Kunisan; 2013-09-13 at 10:05 AM.
    Field Marshal, YUH, 'nuff said.
    /bonk

I don't really have a problem with it. They raped AND killed someone. No amount of "rehabilitation", or whatever prisons are supposed to accomplish, will help them fit into society.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Justice.
    Don't you mean 'vengeance'?

People are so bloodthirsty. Makes me wonder if we're not still in the Dark Ages.

I'm all for the death penalty, remove useless garbage.
    Aslong as it can be 100% proved that the person or the people doing it actually did the act they are being charged for.
    If I brutally raped someone, even if they didn't die from it, I would welcome death, seeing as doing such a mad thing would most likely drive me crazy.
    Though, I have set limits inside my mind, limits that I follow, so I could never do a thing.

Many other people, a lot in poor countries, don't have these limits.
    So they go on to rape and kill and all these viscious acts.

People that takes it to this level in this way are too far gone, they don't need to learn, they need to be looked upon as a threat to others at the highest rate, and removed from the planet earth, permanently.
    Field Marshal, YUH, 'nuff said.
    /bonk

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not normally in favor of the death penalty, but I've got to admit that I won't be losing any sleep over it in this case. A brutal crime with irrefutable proof.

10+ Year Old Account
    Laughed at the man breaking down in tears.

He should have given a slight bit of a thought before doing such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    I don't really have a problem with it. They raped AND killed someone. No amount of "rehabilitation", or whatever prisons are supposed to accomplish, will help them fit into society.
    How do you know this for a fact?

Quote Originally Posted by Kunisan View Post
    If I brutally raped someone, even if they didn't die from it, I would welcome death, seeing as doing such a mad thing would most likely drive me crazy.
    Brutal rapes are often a lot more than merely rape. If the brutality is on the level of what's seen here, then calling the event "rape", just because that also happened to the victim at some point, is to belittle her suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    I'm not for the death-penalty in any circumstance, but I don't think I'll lose a lot of sleep over their killings. I just hope they aren't put on death row for too long.

I'm also curious about how the courts managed to verify their guilt with such conviction. I hope they actually did that, and didn't just give in to public pressure.It could've been only a handful of them that had a hand in the mutilation that took place to the victim, which is the real horror here, and the others might just have been intending to do nothing other than rape her.
    That really is the question, isn't it?

Its part of why I'm against the death sentence. The other part is I feel that anyone willing to kill another human in such a cold manner is a scary person that I'd never trust. Its debately a sociopathic trait that I'd hope we'd have eliminated by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    I'm not an advocate of the death penalty, but these men deserved the maximum possible sentence in their country for their crimes. They murdered a human being in an incredibly heinous, depraved manner. In India, the maximum sentence is death, so they deserve their sentence.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    How do you know this for a fact?
    He doesn't. Its mob mentality.

10+ Year Old Account
    There we go. Justice at its finest people. Rapists don't deserve to live, waste of our oxygen and a waste of space. Get rid of the scum. I love people who can't stand a death sentence. Silly leftists. There are 7 billion people inhabiting this planet so get over it.
    "The sword is mightier than the pen, and considerably easier to kill with."

Even if I was vengeful, I wouldn't want the death penalty. I'd rather torture them for the rest of their lives.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post
    I'm not an advocate of the death penalty, but these men deserved the maximum possible sentence in their country for their crimes. They murdered a human being in an incredibly heinous, depraved manner. In India, the maximum sentence is death, so they deserve their sentence.
    So if the maximum penalty was death by torture, and all your family as well, you'd be in favour of it?

And yes, some societies had laws like that in the past.

You can't not be an advocate of it if you then say its perfectly fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Even if I was vengeful, I wouldn't want the death penalty. I'd rather torture them for the rest of their lives.
    ...okay, you're a psychopath. There's no other words for it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    I'm not normally in favor of the death penalty, but I've got to admit that I won't be losing any sleep over it in this case. A brutal crime with irrefutable proof.
    And in conjunction with that, this sets an example - a terrible example sure, but one nonetheless that people will take note of.

It shows that those who commit atrocious crimes like mentioned, will be executed; if this will work as a deterrent though... time will tell.

(I'm not largely in favor of the death penalty, but if this protects woman in India from further sexual predation - i won't lose sleep on this)
    Last edited by mmoc1aca3196c5; 2013-09-13 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sainur View Post
    There we go. Justice at its finest people. Rapists don't deserve to live, waste of our oxygen and a waste of space. Get rid of the scum. I love people who can't stand a death sentence. Silly leftists. There are 7 billion people inhabiting this planet so get over it.
    Not biased, are we?

But hey, some of us have decency. Sorry you're not one of us.

I think its a message thing..gang rape is a really big problem there of indian women and tourists too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sainur View Post
    Rapists don't deserve to live, waste of our oxygen and a waste of space. Get rid of the scum. I love people who can't stand a death sentence. Silly leftists. There are 7 billion people inhabiting this planet so get over it.
    Lol. Of all the people society is eager to sentence to a painful death, rapists probably deserve it the least. The men convicted here aren't just "rapists". Their victim wasn't only a "rape victim". I wish she'd only been a rape victim.