Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Having trouble with endless mode in proving grounds

Hey everyone,

I've been working on the endless mode in proving grounds the last couple of hours and have been struggling an awful lot on waves 7, 8 and 9. The best I've managed is wave 9 once but other than that it's mostly attempts up to wave 7.

So basically, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for handling things, especially on the later waves towards 10. Is there any glyphs I should use, and would I be better off reforging to a different stat priority?

I only ask, because I've seen videos of other hunters doing amazingly well and they seem to be able to hit everything a lot harder than I've been doing.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Endless mode seems to provide a random set of 10 waves, that repeats but gains 1% hp each wave. So while I cannot give you positioning and such for yours, I can say that in almost EVERY single one of the 8 I saw, there was a amber weaver. My biggest tip for them is to always save them for last, and keep them at such HP that you can instantly kill them, let them summon a amber orb as close to the end timer as possible, kill the amber weaver, and then kite the amber orb into where you think the next group will be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayne13 View Post
    and keep them at such HP that you can instantly kill them
    This may be where I've been slipping up! I've been killing things one at a time instead of making sure I'll be able to kill them fast enough.

What needs to happen for you to lose anyway?

I know if a banshee explodes, that's it, but do you lose if you don't kill the big sha before the next wave? Or within a certain amount of time?
    I was fighting the sha last night and just lost, and couldn't figure out why.

As to your topic, have a helm with the regular meta in it (legendary one doesn't work). Some older trinkets like the DMF one and the alchemy one are BIS. I believe the engi helm may be BIS as well. A cloak with a socket may be better than the legendary cloak.
    A mouseover macro for interrupting/scattering helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntardicus View Post
    This may be where I've been slipping up! I've been killing things one at a time instead of making sure I'll be able to kill them fast enough.
    When mobs get amber'd they take (I believe) 30% increased damage, so the longer you can keep the amber guys up and getting the orbs to hit other mobs the better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post
    I know if a banshee explodes, that's it, but do you lose if you don't kill the big sha before the next wave? Or within a certain amount of time? I was fighting the sha last night and just lost, and couldn't figure out why.
    You probably just ran out of time. I've come quite close to failing on the sha thing a couple of times, but I always keep stampede up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post
    What needs to happen for you to lose anyway?

I know if a banshee explodes, that's it, but do you lose if you don't kill the big sha before the next wave? Or within a certain amount of time?
    I was fighting the sha last night and just lost, and couldn't figure out why.

As to your topic, have a helm with the regular meta in it (legendary one doesn't work). Some older trinkets like the DMF one and the alchemy one are BIS. I believe the engi helm may be BIS as well. A cloak with a socket may be better than the legendary cloak.
    A mouseover macro for interrupting/scattering helps.

When mobs get amber'd they take (I believe) 30% increased damage, so the longer you can keep the amber guys up and getting the orbs to hit other mobs the better.
    You lose if you don't manage to kill all mobs before the next wave, and also if banshees explode.

Howdy,

First, if it would be helpful, here's a video of me getting to wave 10 (with a ton of mistakes...) http://www.twitch.tv/honorls/b/460879629. My record so far is 33, though that's not as good as many others so take my opinions on the optimal way to do things with a grain of salt.

First off, every level is one minute. There's a 10 second "break" between each 10 levels. This means you can use Stampede every five waves, Heroism every 10 waves, Rapid Fire every 3 waves, Bestial Wrath every wave, etc. I was pretty lazy when it came to using my CDs in this video because I figured it would be pretty easy, but it's a good idea to plan out how you want to use your CDs. I personally use Stampede on waves 5 and 10, and try to make sure Rapid Fire is up for wave 8. In terms of talents/glyphs, I generally tend towards Binding Shot/TotH/Blink Strikes/Glaive Toss (all of which, to me, seem optimal for a fight with constant target switching), but you might find something else that works better. I didn't change my reforging or do any optimization in terms of gear.

Wave 1 (3 Ambers, virmen): Just kill everything. I usually kill the virmen first and then try to use amber balls to get some extra damage onto the casters, but this is the easiest Endless level in the rotation by far.

Wave 2 (Healer, Amber, 2 Guardians): There's a couple ways you can do this. You can kill the healer first or you can ignore it and work on the defenders first. I like to stand behind a defender so it gets amber'd while I focus down the healer, getting the best of both worlds.

Wave 3 (2 Hozen, lots of virmen): Binding Shot the two Hozen and go ham on AoE. You can mix in some Kill Commands if you want to burn the Hozen down faster. This wave is very straightforward.

Wave 4 (4 guardians, 1 amber, Banshee): Leave the Amber guy alive. Use his balls to stun the defenders, allowing you to kill them faster. Obviously, kill the Banshee when it spawns.

Wave 5 (Healer, Hozen, Small Sha): Focus the Healer. Binding Shot the Hozen if you feel like it (I think I missed in the video... whoops!). After they're dead, DPS the sha. You won't do much damage, so save your cooldowns. At 30 seconds, a banshee will spawn, and you should pick up the berserker buff. At 20 seconds, use Stampede and all of your CDs (except Heroism).

Wave 6 (2 Healers, virmen): Freezing Trap one of the healers and be ready to interrupt the other (I think I missed the interrupt in this video... I'm bad, gg). Sometimes I AoE on the virmen a little but honestly you should probably just burn one of the healers ASAP, so it doesn't get cast a heal again (esp. if you're not good at landing Binding Shot stuns). After the first healer is dead, you can either AoE the virmen or work on the other healer, depending on whether your Counter Shot is back up or not.

Wave 7 (2 Ambers, 3 guardians, 1 Hozen): I like to start this off by killing the Hozen so you can better guide amber balls into guardians. After that, the level is pretty similar to previous amber/guardian levels. You can kill one of the ambers early if you feel like there's too many balls chasing you; you only really need one up.

Wave 8 (Healer, 2 Saurok, 3 Banshees): This is one of the harder levels in my opinion, and you may want to use a minor CD (e.g. AMoC if you're spec'd into it, Rapid Fire) to help. I kill the Healer, start working on one of the Saurok, kill the first Banshee, finish the first Saurok, start working on the second Saurok, kill the two Banshees, finish the second Saurok. Not much you can do here to optimize.

Wave 9 (2 Saurok, Amber, Guardian, Banshee): This level isn't too bad. You can do this level in just about any order, though it is nice to be standing behind the Guardian when the Banshee spawns so that the amber orb will hit it. I got obscenely close to wiping on this one for some reason... yikes.

Wave 10 (1 large Sha): A straightforward level, assuming you saved your Berserk buff, Stampede, and Heroism. At 40s, use Heroism. At 30s, pick up the buff. At 20s, pop all cooldowns. NP!
    Last edited by HonneurVilified; 2013-09-14 at 05:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HonneurVilified View Post
    Howdy,
    snip snip
    Thanks for the huge write up! Some great advice, I'll definitely give it a shot along with other tips given. I agree on wave 8 being the harder wave, the banshees can really catch you off guard :/

Thanks for the write up. It really helped me out as I was going for the Proven Assailant title.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    That post was awesome. Between a few guides I read up I managed a wave 19 attempt and had to stop. hopefully grab the title tonight or tomorrow. i have on my twitch site a highlight of my high score from earlier today if anyone needs a visual. definitely room for improvement but got the job done to that point.

http://www.twitch.tv/fitfob

Deleted
    Anybody know if Drums of Rage work for this?

Managed Wave 44 tonight on only my 4th attempt. The most frustrating thing is that it's an easy wave, but I made so many mistakes it was unreal.

I think the hardest thing is planning cooldowns. You pretty much need stampede for the 10th wave everytime. I could have used a lot more stampedes but always wanted to make sure I had it ready if desperate. Rapid fire was my 'Oh shit' CD, using it when I had low focus and a banshee pops up or something goes wrong.

Also i'm playing Survival, Multi Dotting as much as possible, and keeping black arrow on a target i expect to leave alive for a while (The mantid are a good target for this).

Always keep the Mantid mobs up and don't interrupt unless you really need too. A couple of times in the video I got hit by them, since i was trying to play pretty risky and maximize the prisons i got from them. An after thought is leaving a Mantid alive and finishing it a few seconds before the next wave, so that you have an amber globule up going into the next wave. Not tried this, but makes sense, risky though.

Once you master the first 10 waves, it's just rinse and repeat. I didn't feel the increase in HP much untill wave 30 something.

Props to blizzard though, it's absolutely fantastic. The thought of spending another 45 mins to get to where I was is pretty upsetting, but that's how it works and I think it's brilliant.

Link to vid: http://www.twitch.tv/jerby93/c/2939207

Having an issue on Wave 4. I keep running out of time near the last add. (I am survival)

- - - Updated - - -

yep wave 4 is definitely impossible, not sure what I'm doing wrong, I'm using the amber orbs on all of the mogu

I'm curious about one thing in regards to the proving grounds. Am I right in assuming that my upgraded Bottle and Relic are preferable over using AoC and Renataki? I've kind of been treating them like challenge modes so far, just curious if that's the right approach after the RPPM changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezzik View Post
    Having an issue on Wave 4. I keep running out of time near the last add. (I am survival)

- - - Updated - - -

yep wave 4 is definitely impossible, not sure what I'm doing wrong, I'm using the amber orbs on all of the mogu
    What you want to do is BA the amber guy, and get SS rolling on as many shield guys as possible at the start. Run behind one of the shield guys and (if possible) dps one of the OTHER shield guys while waiting for the one by you to get amber'd. Once he is amber'd burn him down while running to get behind another shield guy (Preferably the one at higher health). Rinse and repeat and try to save fervor (what I used anyway) for the banshee.
    Last edited by Rocksteadee; 2013-09-16 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerb View Post
    Anybody know if Drums of Rage work for this?
    Sadly, they do not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    I'm curious about one thing in regards to the proving grounds. Am I right in assuming that my upgraded Bottle and Relic are preferable over using AoC and Renataki? I've kind of been treating them like challenge modes so far, just curious if that's the right approach after the RPPM changes.
    i think i got the same problem^^

Ot:

I got a few tips, I've come to wave 70 something (died on the wave with 4 guardians and 1 amber)

- glyph of pathfinding - so helpful when doing dealing with guardians.
    - spec for intimidation - the stun helps a lot in later waves when you can't afford to trap a healer because you need to have a serpent sting and pet on a healer.
    - spec into blink strike, although the other 2 are great cds for the wave 10-20 etc sha having already higher dmg on your pet is better for dealing with heavy guardian waves.
    Those are the major once, but also got a few others I find that personally helps me.

- glyph of no escape, I use this to get that extra dmg when I have freezed a mob, in later waves is better to let everything be free and use ss and pet on them.
    - glyph of black ice, I tested this once and it was pretty helpful, but if you use pathfinding you don't need it.

Learn the waves, deal with 1 wave at a time and don't focus on the time. Don't be fooled by banshees, they won't instantly go boom so you can interrupt that heal and go back on banshee.
    Figure out a tactic for each wave, every spec as their weakness and strength, figure out which spec is all round best for you, for me it was surv, for my friend it was BM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedlance View Post
    Ot:

I got a few tips, I've come to wave 70 something (died on the wave with 4 guardians and 1 amber)

- glyph of pathfinding - so helpful when doing dealing with guardians.
    - spec for intimidation - the stun helps a lot in later waves when you can't afford to trap a healer because you need to have a serpent sting and pet on a healer.
    - spec into blink strike, although the other 2 are great cds for the wave 10-20 etc sha having already higher dmg on your pet is better for dealing with heavy guardian waves.
    Those are the major once, but also got a few others I find that personally helps me.

- glyph of no escape, I use this to get that extra dmg when I have freezed a mob, in later waves is better to let everything be free and use ss and pet on them.
    - glyph of black ice, I tested this once and it was pretty helpful, but if you use pathfinding you don't need it.

Learn the waves, deal with 1 wave at a time and don't focus on the time. Don't be fooled by banshees, they won't instantly go boom so you can interrupt that heal and go back on banshee.
    Figure out a tactic for each wave, every spec as their weakness and strength, figure out which spec is all round best for you, for me it was surv, for my friend it was BM.
    Thanks very much for this! /bow

Quote Originally Posted by markdall View Post
    Thanks very much for this! /bow
    My pleasure

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks so much, Honneur! Really helpful and the best guide for a Hunter that I've come across so far