View Poll Results: Would you Queue for Normalized PvP

Voters
28. This poll is closed
  • Yes

21 75.00%
  • No

7 25.00%

If you could queue for Normalized PvP, would you?

Gear is always a fun thing to attain over the course of time, but I'm very curious. If you had the option to queue for PvP where gear was completely normalized by ilvl would you use this function?

Please explain your reasoning as to why or why not.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think it depends. If it was a situation where classes were all balanced, I would 100% queue for normalized PvP every time.

Saddly, that will never be the case

I think I understand the spirit of your post, but wouldn't normalized gear in your opinion at least allow the game to be as balanced as possible in its current state? Otherwise you are relying on RNG to assume that unbalanced classes have the appropriate level of gear to make them balanced, which in this games method of gearing aka arena, they logically would not have sufficient gear anyways,

Edit:
    Oups.
    I can't read. That might be fun, actually
    Last edited by Terridon; 2013-09-14 at 08:13 AM.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

I would, for sure. PvP right now is like 50% class, 35% gear, 10% skill and 5% luck (RNG crits ftw) if you could eliminate the gear factor it would be great because it would increase the skill factor.

Unfortunately, it won't ever happen because all the terrible players with full gear would complain that they can't win anymore.

Sure it'd be fun, would just get people who are interested in the game, not obsessed with gear. Make a separate queue, no rewards to keep out the afkers and title/achievement-hunters, just gaming for the sake of gaming. Sounds great imo. I'd actually be very interested to see how the community would respond to an activity with no palpable rewards, no gear discrepancies...

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    I would, for sure. PvP right now is like 50% class, 35% gear, 10% skill and 5% luck (RNG crits ftw) if you could eliminate the gear factor it would be great because it would increase the skill factor.

Unfortunately, it won't ever happen because all the terrible players with full gear would complain that they can't win anymore.
    I do feel like people have gotten so hung up on gear that they lose sight of mastering the games fundamentals. While earning the games absolute best gear requires someone who has PvP knowledge and thus someone who is more than capable of defeating most opponents in equalized scenarios, many people Bot or are carried also.

I think Normalized PvP would truly allow blizzard to balance the game, how can Blizzard use data from players with different gear to effectively balance a game? Fundamentally it does not make sense balancing games around data taken from people with large gear discrepancies.

Absolutely, every single day, it's a pipe dream though, will never happen

Skill should be the only thing that matters in PvP.

CC will still be out of control.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

no, this ain't quake. both your skill AND your gear is supposed to matter.

Deleted
    gear is pretty much normalised already, farming the bis pvp set takes no time at all, and if you have full pve gear you are likely above the item level so will do fine.

PVP power isn't as significant as when pvp gear had resi too. I'd be up for more pve with normalised gear, some sort of challenge mode style raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    CC will still be out of control.
    i see what you did there ;D

on topic:
    ofc i would. i mean that removes one of those pesky factors that let someone have an easier time against someone else and that shouldn't be in a competitive environment.

This is one of the main reasons I get tournament realm each season. I don't care for the rewards and I'm not going to place top 8 (or top 2 this AP), it's just so I can log in and queue arena on a completely level playing field (also being able to have multiple characters fully geared means my friends and I can play more comps and in general have more fun).

Quote Originally Posted by Snuggli View Post
    This is one of the main reasons I get tournament realm each season. I don't care for the rewards and I'm not going to place top 8 (or top 2 this AP), it's just so I can log in and queue arena on a completely level playing field (also being able to have multiple characters fully geared means my friends and I can play more comps and in general have more fun).
    Tournament realms are nice for that, it really demonstrates how much fun this game can be with more class accessibility. I really think this game could go a long way if PvP was more accessible for newer players and if classes were also. New players wouldn't feel as terrible if they get to 90 and could start actually learning how to PvP. The current gear grind is necessary for new players to even start gaining any real understanding of PvP due to being cannon fodder, worse yet the possibility that they rolled a gimped class and completely shatter their morale.

As I said before, it must be a nightmare for Blizzard to try to balance PvP in WoW when the majority of data they receive is all flawed due to gear discrepancies. If PvP gear levels were static in the instanced PvP environments Blizzard would have much more reliable data to balance this game around. Furthermore if PvP rewards got better as Seasons progressed but the normalization stayed the same Blizzard would gain an entire expansions worth of consistent data with consistent numbers. Every time the ilvl increases in PvP now all the data changes which would result in a larger portion of data that has to be discarded.

If they applied this to leveling as well players would be more inclined to engage in PvP earlier because right now Heirlooms make low level PvP a complete nightmare for new players.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be happy with iLvL brackets, what you have in your bag and/or wearing is where you get placed. And if you add gear of higher iLvL you get bumped up to the next bracket automatically or removed from que.

Quote Originally Posted by Celawien View Post
    I'd be happy with iLvL brackets, what you have in your bag and/or wearing is where you get placed. And if you add gear of higher iLvL you get bumped up to the next bracket automatically or removed from que.
    I like the idea as a concept but I really think this would be a serious pain for Blizzard to implement simply due to the radical difference between PvE gear and PvP gear. Someone in full PvE at ilvl 'x' would be grouped with PvP geared people of an equivalent ilvl unless blizzard had a way to accurately determine where someone in PvE gear should appropriately be placed. I'm sure something like this would also have problems and people would go out of their way to attempt to cheat the ilvl system in some capacity.

If something like this could work it would be nice and friendly for new players to actually gain some experience in a competitive environment without getting gear stomped and chased out of the PvP scene.

For BGs, hell yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Whenever I meet newer players, unless they have experienced friends, there most overwhelming problem is if they have a desire to PvP because they don't understand what they are doing wrong and why they got decimated so easily.

It should be a much more fun experience at level 10 being eligible for PvP and getting your feet wet. Sure a new player is going to lose in a normalized environment but in this current heirloom environment it's just not even fair for them. It would be as encouraging as reaching Level 15 and starting your first dungeon to find out that the dungeon is only possible in a minimum of full blue gear and then you need to have your level appropriate skill rotation mastered to stand any chance, this is what Bgs are for new players and it is very demoralizing.