Poll: Does Putin deserve Nobel Peace Prize?

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Oh NO NO NO NO!!! I will not let you say something so monumentally stupid that you clearly pulled from your biased ass!

Obama didn't win because of his race. He won because he restored faith in America/the Democratic system across the globe as he was seen to have overthrown a budding dictatorship/corrupt regime via a simple message of peace and understanding through the voting system and its people.

Learn to have a perspective OUTSIDE of America's internal situations, son. There's this place called "The rest of the world" - you know.

Now - having said that...

The key to answering this lies in the understanding that the Nobel Peace Prize is awarded EVERY year to the most peace-based action taken THAT YEAR. You cannot nor should not compare other years to each other. If the only peaceful thing that happened in a year was a fireman rescuing a kitten from a tree, that fireman would be awarded the prize.

So, on that note - I don't know if Putin deserves to win, but I'll DEFINITELY say that he's very eligible via this as his action/decision that downright prevented a global war.
    Actually, Obama got it for his position on nuclear disarmament.

Does putin deserve a noble peace prize???

Ask russian homosexuals, or Israeli citizens, or Chechnians, or Georgians.
    Noble peace prize...please...

Well then again, the arch terrorist and murderer Yasser Arrafat had one. So yeah I guess Putin also deserves one **chuckle**
    Last edited by Eyechewer; 2013-09-14 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chort View Post
    BEFORE YOU VOTE NO, READ PLEASE:

3) Under the command of Putin, Syria was proposed a plan, which saved it from American missile strikes, and many innocent deaths.
    [/COLOR]
    A) It was the foreign ministers of nordic countries that came up with the plan in a meeting they had.
    B) It was Finnish foreign minister Erkki Tuomioja who forwarded the plan to russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov. Other nordic ministers could not reach Lavrov on the matter, for reason or another.
    C) Nordic ministers, trough Tuomioja, forwarded their wish for Russia to take the initiative in the process of bringing Syrian chemical weapons under supervision and eventually destroyed.

"It is all the same for me who takes the glory of making the suggestion. Every United Nations Security Council member has to be in this plan regardless."

-Erkki Tuomioja.

Therefore I have to vote no. It was not Putin's idea, he just happens to lead a country which can still counter and bring USA on a negitiation table.
    Last edited by 1NF4M0UZ; 2013-09-14 at 03:38 PM.

Deleted
    Because putin is the reason for the gay hate crimes right? Gay people always had problems in russia.

Quote Originally Posted by Peeb View Post
    Hah. Weren't they just saying that they can start bombing without UN's approval or that they don't need them. And what happened to negotiations? The only reason Syria isn't bombed right now is because Putin pushed the brakes. Well awarded Peace Prize right there. Though Putin shouldn't get one either.
    I think Syria is currently bombed pretty hard mate. Just not by the US.

It'd be easier to stand up for the UN if Russia and China weren't playing political games in the security council.

That said I think they could've waited a little before presenting Obama with the Peace Prize... but I still admire the man.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Nobel comity lowered the bar by giving Obama the peace prize. I don't hate Obama, but come on. He didn't do shit to earn that. So by the current measure, Putin probably does deserve one. He won't get one though because he's an evil Ruskie monster who eat the children of gay people and shits nuclear war or whatever.

I would go for a big fat no because his country has passed laws that are one step towards being gay is a crime. Basically they passed some bs law that supposedly protects kids from gay propaganda. Any and all pro gay protest have been met by violent anti gay protest and then followed up by beatings and arrests of the pro gay protesters by the police. Other world countries have been in talks to boycott the winter Olympics in Russia over this.

The dude lets neo nazis and police run around and abduct gay people and torture them to their deaths all while they record it and post it on the internet with all their faces and identity.

So fucking no he doesn't. He enforces one law to stop "gay propaganda" but doesn't enforce the law on murder, abduction or human rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Chort View Post
    If saving AT LEAST 1000 Syrian lives is not worth Peace Prize, than we have different values regarding what is worth saving.
    How many lives has Putin ended or ruined, though? I'm thinking considerably more.

Considering his sabre rattling and threats almost sparked armed conflict, giving him a 'Peace Prize' is a complete joke.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    The dude lets neo nazis and police run around and abduct gay people and torture them to their deaths all while they record it and post it on the internet with all their faces and identity.

So fucking no he doesn't.
    This also.

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    Obama won it for doing absolutely nothing other than being the first African-American president and has since murdered thousands of innocent people with drone strikes, so sure, Putin can have that useless award as well.
    Indeed, Obama is more of an evil dictator than Bush ever was. Obama knows how to do one thing right though, he controls the media very well, something that Bush and Cheney weren't very good at. Obama has the ability to club a hundred baby seals and the media will make him look like a hero for it.

Quote Originally Posted by time0ut View Post
    The Nobel comity lowered the bar by giving Obama the peace prize. I don't hate Obama, but come on. He didn't do shit to earn that. So by the current measure, Putin probably does deserve one.
    No. Two wrongs don't make a right. And at least Obama isn't a shadey former spymaster.

Deleted
    It's so funny, this whole debacle over Syria, people yelling at each other over what Kerry said and what Putin has done. People just don't seem to have the facts.

The whole peace plan was hatched by the foreign ministers of the Nordic Countries, on the 30th of August. The plan was then forwarded to Putin by the foreign minister of Finland, Erkki Tuomioja. It wasn't Putin's idea, and it's not an idea Obama should walk away from, because it comes from the people who actually do deserve Nobel Prizes; people from the Nordic Countries.

If it sounds amazing to you, just Google it.

It's just funny though, that once again, the people with the actual ideas work behind the scenes, not craving any publicity, and buffoons like Obama and Putin go around acting like they're the shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    He deserves it even less than President Obama (if that is even possible) who should not have received or accepted it, so no.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Incorrect, It's awarded every year for the most peace-based action taken that year.

As I said above... if a fireman (or, say, Zombie Bin Laden) Rescued a kitten from a tree and it was the ONLY peaceful action taken that year, then they would be awarded the prize for that year.
    You say "That Year" and follow with :

The Nobel Peace Prize 2012
    European Union (EU)

"for over six decades contributed to the advancement of peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe"

The Nobel Peace Prize 2011
    Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Leymah Gbowee and Tawakkol Karman

"for their non-violent struggle for the safety of women and for women's rights to full participation in peace-building work"

The Nobel Peace Prize 2010
    Liu Xiaobo

"for his long and non-violent struggle for fundamental human rights in China"
    All of these things were done over the course of decades, not in the course of a single year. And, most certainly, not in the span of 8 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    It's just funny though, that once again, the people with the actual ideas work behind the scenes, not craving any publicity, and buffoons like Obama and Putin go around acting like they're the shit.
    Well it's not such of a big supprice. Half of USA seems to rely on Fox News as their source of information.
    Doubt there actually is such of a thing in USA anymore as independent press.

Quote Originally Posted by Seja Victrix View Post
    I think yes, because it would be hilarious.

As an aside, didn't Time Magazine have Hitler as its poster boy at some point in the Thirties?
    Time also awarded "Person of the Year" to Putin in 2007.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Look up Pussy Riot. Obama never put anyone in Jail for 7+ years for writing a song about him. But yeah.... Human Rights......... Umm No not in Russia! Anyone that thinks this needs to find out what the hand says to the face.

Quote Originally Posted by 1NF4M0UZ View Post
    Well it's not such of a big supprice. Half of USA seems to rely on Fox News as their source of information.
    Doubt there actually is such of a thing in USA anymore as independent press.
    Around half of US voters are Republican, so of course they want Fox News. Pretty much every other news station is liberal as all hell. MSNBC and CNN are two of the most liberal networks on the air.

As an aside, I used to like watching Glenn Beck on CNN. They seemed to be able to keep him in line and he seemed more reasonable. Going to Fox News brought out the absolute worst in him.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    You say "That Year" and follow with :

All of these things were done over the course of decades, not in the course of a single year. And, most certainly, not in the span of 8 months.
    The requirement wasn't the time frame... it's just a detail. Why does it have to be a "long struggle" while the European nation was "Six decades" and the the three people were just that year? It wasn't the long struggle - it was what he DID that year.

What's the time-frame based on? 6 months? 6 years? 60 years? it's not the length of time - it was what was DONE that year.

Those were the best-made progress for that year in peace. Even you can see that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by freedrom View Post
    Look up Pussy Riot. Obama never put anyone in Jail for 7+ years for writing a song about him. But yeah.... Human Rights......... Umm No not in Russia! Anyone that thinks this needs to find out what the hand says to the face.
    In Putin's defense with the Pussy Riot thing, you can blame the church in Russia for that. You can also blame the persecution of gays on the church in Russia. Hell, let's be honest, there isn't much you can't blame on churches. Not defending Putin, but just remember the church and it's involvement.