Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Been a mage since vanilla - quit during 5.1 - Reroll warlock?

    Hello Warlock community,

    I am nearing being a 9 year veteran of WoW. Always been a mage - due to RL issues, I had to quit WoW. Now life is great and I'm looking to get back into the game. Its natural for us to resist change, but change can be good. In this case, warlocks have always intrigued me. Was wondering if there are any locks here currently who went from mage -> warlock and how the experience has been.

    Shortly before quitting, even though as a mage I was topping dps, I wasn't having fun. All three specs basically play the same, too simply. Ports are nice but I can do without, considering how easy it is to get around in the world. I'm about to create a brand new account, so was wondering.. I basically want validation to make the switch, if that makes sense.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    I've experienced a few. And without trying to sound like a pompous prick, the mages I've known who rerolled warlocks for any purpose basically ended up quitting it again, reason being the class having too many too complicated mechanics...

    I'm sure it can work if you're willing to learn it all though.

  3. #3
    A challenge is what I'm looking for, actually. Playing on one hand got a bit boring tbh - thanks for the heads up, though.

  4. #4
    Do what I did! Just play around on different classes and see what you like the best. That or just decide in you "mind" that you want to play a certain type of class(I.E Melee dps, ranged dps ect...)/

  5. #5
    Well,

    I suck at healer and I hate being a meatshield. I've always been a ranged caster in any MMO I've played and thats my preferred playstyle. Just looking for something new as I was quite bored with my mage and WoW in general before I quit, but this is a new opportunity for me to start from scratch and look at the game from a different lens.

  6. #6
    I recommend it 100%. I gave up on my Warlock in TBC because it was one button, came back to it at the beginning of WoTLK because 3.0 Affliction was INSANE and haven't looked back. a lot of flavour, nice high skillcap in PvP, a lot of variation between specs and good viability.
    I think i can give up choose talent in this level?
    because if i am not choose this level。 i can have 20% blood more than choosen..
    GREAT BLZ.
    warlock now became a guy use 5 level talents VS other 6 level.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by squidbear View Post
    I recommend it 100%. I gave up on my Warlock in TBC because it was one button, came back to it at the beginning of WoTLK because 3.0 Affliction was INSANE and haven't looked back. a lot of flavour, nice high skillcap in PvP, a lot of variation between specs and good viability.
    Rock on

    Thanks guy. (or girl)

  8. #8
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    JVM
    Posts
    52
    I went from mage to warlock when I stopped raiding due to RL. I still play my mage though, but I'm having loads of fun with the lock. First of all, every warlock set in the game is amazing, the only problem I have with this is that I can't transmogrify them all at once. Mage sets are horrible imo (some exceptions of course). Warlock really looks badass and the highly distinguishable look really completes the class. Mage does good in regard of damage, very good even, but the three specs are so much mixed together and this coupled with the "meh" 90 talents and we have a recipe for an efficient but boring class. Warlock also does very good damage and the 3 specs feel and play like 3 different classes. If you can endure the leveling I'd say give the warlock a shot.

  9. #9
    The Lightbringer Grubjuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Dog Park
    Posts
    3,973
    if you want a challenge i would recommend Balance,
    warlocks are actually rather easy to play, fun but easy!

  10. #10
    Thanks again buddy, really excited

  11. #11
    I would give it a shot. You don't have anything to lose.. I played mage in TBC and early wrath and now I play a lock and love it.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    I would give it a shot. You don't have anything to lose.. I played mage in TBC and early wrath and now I play a lock and love it.
    !!!! Woohoo! Awesome, DrStiglit

  13. #13
    Mage was my first char when WoW vanilla was released , though I swapped to warlock back in vanilla as well since I preferred the playstyle, so I cannot say I'm a mage-> lock since I've been a lock far longer than mage.

    But I will tell you one thing, you will either love warlock and never turn back or you will hate it from the get go, there is no in between with the class, it has a different playstyle than other classes and most people dislike that.

    Test your luck is all I can say

  14. #14
    Thanks all. Kind of a bit overwhelmed with all the choices and the three distinct play styles. Having tons of fun so far for sure. In terms of PvE rotations, is it safe to assume that these forums and icy-veins will suffice?

    Also, I plan on leveling as destruction as I hear its the most efficient. Do you all recommend playing each spec for 30 levels so I don't end up learning certain specs from scratch upon hitting 90? Thanks all

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Telomir View Post
    A challenge is what I'm looking for, actually. Playing on one hand got a bit boring tbh - thanks for the heads up, though.
    Uh, you're going to find that there isn't alot of difference when it comes to "playing on on hand". Locks were extremely simplified. To the point where Fire is probably more complicated than afflic or demo, and destro, that's the lock wrath arcane. Stick with your mage imo. Everyone is rerolling to locks.
    Perfect example of why "community" forums are poisonous to the health of a development team. These developers are wasting hundreds of hours trying to stem the tide of incessant bitchery that would never, ever abate so long as these entitled, unfortunate human beings don't get their way.

  16. #16
    Played mage in woltk, just one tip if your starting lock now and being boring is a concern, Don't touch destruction!
    green is the color!

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Akakishin View Post
    Played mage in woltk, just one tip if your starting lock now and being boring is a concern, Don't touch destruction!
    Got it, thanks.

  18. #18
    I disagree, I think Destruction is awesome. Not boring at all. With embers you have multiple choices to spend them on. Ember tap heal provides amazing survivability. Being able to rain of fire without channeling is great too. Fire and brimstone is a fun mechanic too. It's also nice knowing that Chaos bolt will always crit, it's fun watching that badboy land with big numbers popping up. I've played balance druid during BC and WotLK, and mage and shadow priest during cata. I quit playing wow a few months prior to launch of diablo. A buddy and I decided to start playing a few months ago and did refer a friend together. I've always wanted a high level lock (I had one in wotk in the 60s but never got to max level or raided on one) and decided to to roll one this time, and I couldn't be happier with my decision. All three specs are cool and very different from each other. I leveled demo until lvl 60 something when destro gets backdraft (conflag reduces mana cost and cast time of incinerate), and haven't looked back. Recently I changed my 2nd spec to affliction as I haven't played affliction for years, so I'm still getting the hang of it. Again, it's nice that all three specs are very unique. Although I haven't played priest/lock this expansion, I always felt like the mage specs were too similar to each other, and with the priest, if you don't want to heal, then all you have is shadow. Good luck.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Popesickle View Post
    I disagree, I think Destruction is awesome. Not boring at all. With embers you have multiple choices to spend them on. Ember tap heal provides amazing survivability. Being able to rain of fire without channeling is great too. Fire and brimstone is a fun mechanic too. It's also nice knowing that Chaos bolt will always crit, it's fun watching that badboy land with big numbers popping up. I've played balance druid during BC and WotLK, and mage and shadow priest during cata. I quit playing wow a few months prior to launch of diablo. A buddy and I decided to start playing a few months ago and did refer a friend together. I've always wanted a high level lock (I had one in wotk in the 60s but never got to max level or raided on one) and decided to to roll one this time, and I couldn't be happier with my decision. All three specs are cool and very different from each other. I leveled demo until lvl 60 something when destro gets backdraft (conflag reduces mana cost and cast time of incinerate), and haven't looked back. Recently I changed my 2nd spec to affliction as I haven't played affliction for years, so I'm still getting the hang of it. Again, it's nice that all three specs are very unique. Although I haven't played priest/lock this expansion, I always felt like the mage specs were too similar to each other, and with the priest, if you don't want to heal, then all you have is shadow. Good luck.
    Thank you (and others) for sharing your experiences with me, its really appreciated. I'm having fun so far

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    To the point where Fire is probably more complicated than afflic or demo, and destro, that's the lock wrath arcane. Stick with your mage imo. Everyone is rerolling to locks.
    Agreed.
    I always played Destro since Vanilla. I always liked to spec and still do - however, probably every single mage spec nowadays is more complicated to play.

    Also yes, since 5.3, the number of Locks increased by an insane amount.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •