Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruul View Post
    Tirion, Uther or even young Arthas-like character would be an awesome leader for the alliance.

I have no clue why they made Varian the way he is, my best guess is they wanted him as a foil to Thrall as another orc/human hybrid but his angry side basically doesn't exist any more and the whole wolf thing is just out of place. Also his character model really sucks, especially the stupid anime hair.
    Uther is dead? :/

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    OH. Right. So the alliance MUST!! be lead by humans, but the orcs don't have to be lead by orcs.

So its ok to mess up the hordes story like this, but not the alliance, it must always be human with the alliance.
    I never said the Horde shouldn't be lead by Orcs. They pretty much represent the essence of the Horde. I wanted Saurfang to be the new Warchief so bad that I can't explain. Especially as people were calling for Lorthemar to be made Warchief. I am just glad they picked Voljin over Lorthemar. A Blood Elf Warchief would have been a complete joke and utterly unhordy. Not mention...seriously. The race of turncoats that switched allegiances like 4 times up till now and were preparing to switch again, leading the Horde. Srsly?

Voljin is simply the lesser of all evils.

Valen should be in charge. Mortals leading when an ancient immortal leader is available seems goofy. Though I suppose the short lifespan of humans makes the whole king thing conceptually more like the "honorary king for a day" concept than a "high king" one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    The alliance should not have a leader.
    Agreed.

This "High King" bullshit is kinda disappointing IMO. Blizzard is turning the Alliance into the "Blue Horde" with humans being always the center of attention and "above" all the other races.

I don't like that.
    Signature in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    Valen should be in charge. Mortals leading when an ancient immortal leader is available seems goofy. Though I suppose the short lifespan of humans makes the whole king thing conceptually more like the "honorary king for a day" concept than a "high king" one.
    Velen, thinks, dreams, hopes and calculates as the world passes him by. Humans charge the issues they face, exactly because their lives are short, they live in the now and tomorrow, and they try to make a change today as they never know if they have a tomorrow. This makes them better suited for leadership in a dynamic world like Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    You make no sense. The Night Elves acknowledged Varian's command since the beginning, well before "A Little Patience". It's Tyrande and Malfurion themselves who begged Varian to accept the role of High King. Also, the fact that races are working together as equals does not mean that there cannot be a commander over them all. In WWII, the Supreme Commander of Allied forces was the American Dwight Eisenhower. That did not mean that the American Army held a higher rank over the British Army.
    At the end of ALP Tyrande says, "I see that now. Our strength is yours to command, High King. May this be the first of many victories." If the night elves were already under his command then that sentence makes no sense whatsoever.

Respectfully disagree.

The Alliance must be lead by Humans
    If you want an empire then go horde.

OH. Right. So the alliance MUST!! be lead by humans, but the orcs don't have to be lead by orcs.

So its ok to mess up the hordes story like this, but not the alliance, it must always be human with the alliance.
    I'm assuming you meant "but the Horde doesn't have to be lead by Orcs", since there is a 99.9%+ chance Thrall is going to be retained as the Orc's racial leader.

Along that line, in my opinion it isn't absolutely necessary for the Alliance to be led by a human. Dwarves at the very least are central enough to the Alliance, both politically and thematically, that a Dwarf could lead the Alliance if he/she was sufficiently built up. As it stands there aren't really any Dwarf characters that would qualify, but given another expansion and a novel or two that might end up changing.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

Wyrt , I agree with you . The alliance shouldnt have a leader ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    Anduin obviously!
    Varian even confirmed that he is ready to rule, if anything should happen to him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    The orcs will be lead by an orc, obviously, like the blood elves were and are lead by Lor'themar.

It's just that the leader of the Horde is not an orc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    At the end of ALP Tyrande says, "I see that now. Our strength is yours to command, High King. May this be the first of many victories." If the night elves were already under his command then that sentence makes no sense whatsoever.
    Yet, Varian is already commanding all troops throughout the scenario : Dwarves, Gnomes, Jinyu, Pandaren and Night Elves. You don't hear Tyrande make a counter order to night elven troops. In fact, she doesn't give any order at all. What she says is only a way to tell Varian that she now trusts Varian's ability to lead and his tactical skills, which she was questioning during the battle.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Wrynn.

(•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

Anduin Wrynn.
    YEAH.

Quote Originally Posted by KenjiEvans View Post
    Anduin obviously!
    Varian even confirmed that he is ready to rule, if anything should happen to him.
    Like Malfurion I feel Anduin is already too "neutral" to be a leader for the Alliance.

If it came down to looking after his own faction (Alliance) or looking after every race on Azeroth I get the feeling he'd sacrifice the Alliance every time.

A council seems like a rad idea. Get some cultural differences rolling in, people wanting their best interests to come first, a bit of political intrigue etc. For some reason I always felt the Alliance should be somewhat bogged down by bureaucratic red tape, intending and wanting to do the right thing but its method of going about doing things keeps them from doing so efficiently, so some corruption and what have you goes down. I always had the vibe that the Alliance was just a massive juggernaut of power where as the Horde was a bit more unified and lean, neither could effectively take the other out which is what the issue was to begin with. Who knows? I'd also like to see the Worgen be pissy with the elves for getting them in the mess they're in with their curse and say 'Stuff your new moon, I just want to be a stuffy gothic victorian guy again, trees are for pissin' on, not to be revered'. Maybe even the night elves would stop giving the purple human vibe, too, give blizzard some more flexibility to explore things with the various races?

Man. That'd actually make the races feel relevant beyond red vs. blue.

Quote Originally Posted by KenjiEvans View Post
    Anduin obviously!
    He is ready to rule Stormwind not the alliance. Currently Anduin is pretty much old Jaina. If the Horde were to attack the alliance he would probably sacrifice his father in an attempt to safeguard the horde. Maybe one day we can drop a mana bomb on Stormwind as well and he could finally grow a pair. You can't have a pacifist rule either horde or alliance. The other faction would just use that naïveté and bum rush the idiotic one. Also neither Velen nor Malfurion can lead either. Malfurion is all for "sacrifice my people for the greater good" and Velen is pretty " fight or flight" with no fight.

On the horde side I hate Vol'jin as warchief but that's only because I hate trolls. Cairne would've made a perfect warchief, probably why they killed him off. I'm only loyal to my Dark Lady so I'm fine regardless. I'm looking forward to plague bombing any alliance trying to take back Gilneas and raising the few left over corpse as minions of my queen.
    Last edited by alt-ithist; 2013-09-15 at 10:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

Varian is like Obama in his alliance, you don't want that. You want an Alliance where Allies cooperate and agree on things beforehand. But then again every alliance engagement is actually Stormwind forces with other races joining in.

Lion's Landing was totally a human settlement with other alliance races. They need to put other races up front and stop with just the humans for a while.

Leave the RL politics elsewhere.
    Last edited by Sj; 2013-09-15 at 11:39 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral Colonel Sandor's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Man you are sour.

Leave the personal attacks out of it.
    Last edited by Sj; 2013-09-15 at 11:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    Like Malfurion I feel Anduin is already too "neutral" to be a leader for the Alliance.
    Well, dead Varian will come Anduin. That's inevitable, the bloodline demands it, no matter how "neutral" Anduin is looking. Until, ofcourse, the seat of power will completely shift to another race, or just another human's kingdom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Respectfully disagree.

The Alliance must be lead by Humans. Key word, must. None of the other races have the Humans resilience, stubborn self confidence (might as well call it arrogance), ambition, zeal, discipline and occasional calculated ruthlessness needed to face down everything the universe can throw at them. Humans fail, make mistakes or even die and they just shrug it off, rise again and keep on marching.

The Forsaken and Worgen are also just Humans, with certain aspects of their Human nature emphasized. There is a reason why most Forsaken are actually humans, the Lore explains that Humans have the strongest will to live among the races of Azeroth, thus it is easier for them to come back into undeath and to even accept their condition then it is for other races. Same with the Worgen, Worgen are just humans who came closer to their repressed savagery, the one we can witness in the Vrykul in Northrend.

I know a lot of players just don't like the Humans or their lore, but regardless, I think the Alliance should always be lead by the Humans. Not to mention they put up most of fighting and dying. So it is logical they have the last word when it comes to decision making.

If something was to happen to Varian before Anduin is ready to rule, the Alliance can be lead by Jaina as leader of the Kirin Tor and regent of Stormwind. But to be honest, as young as Anduin might be, he is already fairly fit to rule.

P.S. And yes the Dwarves should play a major role in the Alliance, and while I do like Muradin, I actually prefer the new Moira. She seems to be more politically savvy.
    ... as if the Elves and Dwarves can't do that. The Elves survived the first Legion invasion for heaven sakes.

There really is no reason for Humans to lead.

In the LotRs, Humans lead because it was soon to be the "Age of Men" where men came into dominance. The last of the Elves were leaving for the Undying Lands and the Dwarves were already in decline long before the events of LotRs.

In WoW, there is no reason whatsoever and even if they added one now it would seem contrived and "too convenient".
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2013-09-16 at 09:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    High General Turalyon as the new Supreme Commander of the Alliance! Calling it now!