Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ...
10
18
19
20
21
22
... LastLast
  1. #381
    Quote Originally Posted by Andaja View Post
    No idea what op actually has progression wise, but from last tiers 8 out of 13 hc tank im having hard time getting to that last wave of gold. So unless you go for last tiers 13/13 hc in one night I really would be glad to get a bunch of silvers. Since at least for tank what actually happens in pg is just one tip of a coin imho. No raid has one hot on tank, no bonuses, no metas, walls that get in your way (maybe shaman do). but anyways, that last few waves are on par for me with some progression heroic fights.
    So just lower your standarts.

    Gold level is absurdly trivial if you are at heroic level (for tanks, can't say about other roles but... guess it's the same?). Literally absurd. It's clearly meant to new players, so OP, you are good to go asking it.
    Last edited by Espada; 2013-09-15 at 05:07 PM.

  2. #382
    Quote Originally Posted by Andaja View Post
    No idea what op actually has progression wise, but from last tiers 8 out of 13 hc tank im having hard time getting to that last wave of gold. So unless you go for last tiers 13/13 hc in one night I really would be glad to get a bunch of silvers. Since at least for tank what actually happens in pg is just one tip of a coin imho. No raid has one hot on tank, no bonuses, no metas, walls that get in your way (maybe shaman do). but anyways, that last few waves are on par for me with some progression heroic fights.
    So just lower your standarts.
    One shotted bronze, silver, two shotted gold (wasn't really expecting wave 10 to deal damage and didn't pop CDs), 2 shotted my way to endless 27, 11/13 H last tier.

  3. #383
    It's a lot easier on some classes than others. Ranged have it much easier than melee in general.

  4. #384
    After consideration I think the crux of this is what is the expectation of the guild when it comes to raids?

    The raid leader comes from a hardcore background and the guild is one day a week (Casual) Now casual doesn't have to mean bad but I'm sensing an expectation gap between the raid leader and the players. That will be the end of the raid team if it isn't discussed and all people agree on a level that's suitable for them.

    People who say "his raid his rules" are technically correct but stupidly naïve. (S)he may just end up ruling over an elite raid team of one member.

  5. #385
    I tried it. Proving Grounds is a brawlers' guild type thing. You're not testing raiding. You're testing brawlers' guild. That's not raiding. It's just an epeen thing for boys. Many players are turned off by that.
    Last edited by NewOrleansTrolley; 2013-09-15 at 05:58 PM.

  6. #386
    I think all of your warlocks should be required to have green fire also.

  7. #387
    Pit Lord HeatherRae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,270
    Proving Grounds as a healer bears absolutely no resemblance to what I do as a healer in an actual raid. It's so different that it's honestly hilarious. From a healer perspective, it teaches you nothing and breaks quite a few specs.

    As a healer, successor failure depends entirely on a set of bots that do brilliant things like:

    1) Stand in any and every fire (I've watched Sooli disengage into the fire on multiple occasions)
    2) Fail to use their survival CDs in any kind of coherent manner
    3) Fail to use their active mitigation as a tank (the "tank" bot is a Warrior)
    4) Fail to focus down adds one at a time
    5) Fail to interrupt adds doing massive AoE damage to the group
    6) Do such shitty DPS that the HEALER finishes second on the DPS charts.

    This happens on a regular basis. And before you say it - no, I don't have gold on my character. But I got it multiple times on the PTR, where I was one of the people heavily testing Proving Grounds. At the moment, I just don't really want to spend the amount of gold I would need to completely regem and reenchant my gear to do them effectively. I'll get around to it at some point, but not at the moment.

    BTW, OP, the difference between healing specs in PRoving Grounds is massive. Shaman, Monks, and Pallies have interrupts, Druids have knockbacks, Monks, Pallies, and Druids have stuns. Priests have Fear - which doesn't work on 99% of the mobs. Certain healing specs are more dependent on gear to maintain mana. Others (primarily Disc Priests) have no way to catch back up if their group falls behind, because they lack any kind of appreciable burst to deal with Chomp. So while it may have been easy for you on a Shaman, that doesn't mean it would be easy for every class or spec.
    Tiriel <Demise> of US-Kel'Thuzad

    Thank you to Yoni for this AMAZING signature!

  8. #388
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankitbetter View Post
    I would challenge you to find me ever saying I've raided with these players before.
    So... you're brand new to them, you're an ex-hardcore and you're demanding things from a 1 night per week Flex raid? Yeah, that's got a bright future.

  9. #389
    Quote Originally Posted by NewOrleansTrolley View Post
    I tried it. Proving Grounds is a brawlers' guild type thing. You're not testing raiding. You're testing brawlers' guild. That's not raiding. It's just an epeen thing for boys. Many players are turned off by that.

    Honestly IMO I think this place is great for raiders, a lot of stuff, especially hard modes, require a single player to focus on a few different tasks at the same time, and while it's not exactly like every fight (but the bronze dps one is identical to norushen's orb phase) it teaches you multi-tasking in a format that's very easy to practice. I personally think it's a great addition.

  10. #390
    I think the dps trials are a decent judge of damage dealing skill, it's a good test of dealing with multiple mobs, having to dps on the move, as well as having to do some fast target switches. Overall I would be happy to invite someone with the gold achievement to my raid, I would be pretty confident in their capabilities.

    Most raid mechanics are rather trivial once memorized anyway, in some ways I hold the proving ground difficulty in higher regard as it has more emphasis on being holistically good at your class, in terms of general mechanical ability (movement and targeting), as well as use of skills you don't normally use in a raid like frost nova.

  11. #391
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    170
    I think that if they really wanted to test a player they would scale the enemies up to your gear instead of scaling you down. At 463 item level - feral kitties have insanely poor energy regen and their ability to generate combo points is greatly diminished as a result. The play style is completely different as well than that of a 556 item level raider.

    I was able to clear the gold trials with much more difficulty than I would've liked, and was shocked with how easily I could clear it with my alt affliction warlock, wind-walker monk, and assassination rogue. These trials are not balanced whatsoever. Go try them on one of the specs that are actually 'hard' and see what you think of them than. As it stands, I had trouble clearing the gold trials on my main, and on my main I'm currently ranked top 20 dps on most heroic fights, cleared heroic 25m TOT in the top 30 world...so what does that say about these trials?

    Don't get me wrong, I love a challenge. I was thrilled with how challenging it was to clear the trials. However, when you have a bunch of classes that can do it easily and scoff at players who had a rougher time due to the mechanics of it all -- that is BS. Hearing so many players giggle at how easy it was for them while I had to really put some effort into it bothers me immensely. So, maybe, in some instances, the player isn't the baddie. Maybe, you just had a much easier time because it was easy mode for you.

  12. #392
    Pit Lord HeatherRae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,270
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Honestly IMO I think this place is great for raiders, a lot of stuff, especially hard modes, require a single player to focus on a few different tasks at the same time, and while it's not exactly like every fight (but the bronze dps one is identical to norushen's orb phase) it teaches you multi-tasking in a format that's very easy to practice. I personally think it's a great addition.
    From a healer perspective, I disagree.
    Tiriel <Demise> of US-Kel'Thuzad

    Thank you to Yoni for this AMAZING signature!

  13. #393
    Quote Originally Posted by Sfr528 View Post
    I think that if they really wanted to test a player they would scale the enemies up to your gear instead of scaling you down. At 463 item level - feral kitties have insanely poor energy regen and their ability to generate combo points is greatly diminished as a result. The play style is completely different as well than that of a 556 item level raider.

    I was able to clear the gold trials with much more difficulty than I would've liked, and was shocked with how easily I could clear it with my alt affliction warlock, wind-walker monk, and assassination rogue. These trials are not balanced whatsoever. Go try them on one of the specs that are actually 'hard' and see what you think of them than. As it stands, I had trouble clearing the gold trials on my main, and on my main I'm currently ranked top 20 dps on most heroic fights, cleared heroic 25m TOT in the top 30 world...so what does that say about these trials?

    Don't get me wrong, I love a challenge. I was thrilled with how challenging it was to clear the trials. However, when you have a bunch of classes that can do it easily and scoff at players who had a rougher time due to the mechanics of it all -- that is BS. Hearing so many players giggle at how easy it was for them while I had to really put some effort into it bothers me immensely. So, maybe, in some instances, the player isn't the baddie. Maybe, you just had a much easier time because it was easy mode for you.
    How dare you come here and make sense. It wasn't much different than how the cape celestials solo quest was handled.
    Regardless OP, using this as a test just shows your ignorance. Most wow players will eventually get this done with enough repitition and attempts. that's just how most people learn to play - if the achievement told you how many attempts were made to get it - or how long it took to get, then maybe you have a good determining factor at how good a player is (like they one-shot it), even then class imbalance to the test makes this piss poor as sfr528 stated.
    Last edited by slime; 2013-09-15 at 06:56 PM.

  14. #394
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    Proving Grounds as a healer bears absolutely no resemblance to what I do as a healer in an actual raid. It's so different that it's honestly hilarious. From a healer perspective, it teaches you nothing and breaks quite a few specs.

    As a healer, successor failure depends entirely on a set of bots that do brilliant things like:

    1) Stand in any and every fire (I've watched Sooli disengage into the fire on multiple occasions)
    2) Fail to use their survival CDs in any kind of coherent manner
    3) Fail to use their active mitigation as a tank (the "tank" bot is a Warrior)
    4) Fail to focus down adds one at a time
    5) Fail to interrupt adds doing massive AoE damage to the group
    6) Do such shitty DPS that the HEALER finishes second on the DPS charts.

    This happens on a regular basis. And before you say it - no, I don't have gold on my character. But I got it multiple times on the PTR, where I was one of the people heavily testing Proving Grounds. At the moment, I just don't really want to spend the amount of gold I would need to completely regem and reenchant my gear to do them effectively. I'll get around to it at some point, but not at the moment.

    BTW, OP, the difference between healing specs in PRoving Grounds is massive. Shaman, Monks, and Pallies have interrupts, Druids have knockbacks, Monks, Pallies, and Druids have stuns. Priests have Fear - which doesn't work on 99% of the mobs. Certain healing specs are more dependent on gear to maintain mana. Others (primarily Disc Priests) have no way to catch back up if their group falls behind, because they lack any kind of appreciable burst to deal with Chomp. So while it may have been easy for you on a Shaman, that doesn't mean it would be easy for every class or spec.
    Well said, and I must admit I am glad to hear I wasn't alone in struggling with this on my Discipline priest. Getting punished for having the legendary meta gem and for reforging and gemming into throughput stats instead spirit that I do not need while raiding was incredibly frustrating. I found myself frequently running out of mana around wave five if my team of NPCs was unhelpful and it probably took me six attempts to complete something I expected to have no trouble with at all.

    To get back to the point, proving grounds is not the same for every class or spec and is therefore a worthless measure of raid capabilities. It will require a higher level of play for some than it will for others. As a raid leader myself, I think you're trying to make the game do your job for you here and it will likely fail in the long term.

  15. #395
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    So I saw this thread and pretty confident of my abilities I decided to give this proving grounds a try, and I must say I was pretty pleasantly surprised, it was a lot of fun. I one shot bronze and silver as a Fury Warrior, then after making a mistake(those wailing ghost women if you dont kill right away you wipe). Seems that having cheap easy AOE is a big advantage and so is being able to switch target and move around a lot, so I changed to my Arms spec (with bladestorm) and swapped my 12 second charge for a double charge.

    So I then again wiped on wave 8 by not understanding exactly how it worked, figuring that there is a time window of burst. So I went again and using that tactic of simply preparing for the burst I beat it, using my dps cooldowns only on wave 10.


    Personally I think this is a good test of a players skill, but it doesnt necessarily equate to raiding ability. Fact is that there are not many raids that have this kind of combat and for me it reminded me a lot more of a PVP with targets that don't fight back. From a high end PvP perspective this isn't very high end skill and though the dps on the last 3 waves was pretty tight (and you need to be good to beat it) those fights once you saw the mechanics were very simple.

    I find that raiding is more about situational awareness, trying to differentiate the good shit on the ground from the bad shit, knowing when and what buff/debuffs you have on yourself, its about "can you see that shit on the ground with all the other shit going on to distract you?" and its about dealing with a set of specific mechanics and about maximising dps as a team, compromising when needed. If anything for me the brawlers guild (though a soloing competition) is probably closer to an actual raiding proving grounds than this.

    So yeah it's fun, it definitely is a nice test of skill and it definitely requires a player to have a solid grasp on really maximising dps and movement, economy of choosing the right target, but overall It's more of a pvp/pve dps race hybrid than a proving ground for raiding ability.
    Thanks for the reply! My arms warrior guildie made the exact same mistakes you did and fixed them the same way you did.

    I know I personally had fun doing this all as well, and many guildies have found the challenge to be entertaining.

  16. #396
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    704
    I sent like 5 hours today trying to get Gold on my mage (i'm not playing wow more than LFR for 2 years now).
    As of now i go through waves 1-7 easily, and my best result is 10% of last mob of 10th wave.
    It seems to me that after some time all the 'mechanics' are obvious.
    To get decent dps i have to be very strict: at each wave i stand at particular place and know exacly in which order i'll kill mobs, and with which spells.
    It seems that i kinda learn encounter by hearth, but that does not seem to do much for actually being better. Another encounter would just take less time to adapt.
    Sometimes i misclick once and fail at 1st or 2d wave. I'm not sure this is right :/

  17. #397
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    16,934
    Seriously...you could check those raiders armory briefly...if they have done ANY current raid in the past, it is proof that they somewhat understand their class.

    My guild raids with people who raid since MC together...it just means they perform on the level they laways performed, meaning getting sth like 75% of hradmodes (or the raid tier pre hardmodes) done during a patch cycle (like...you know...9/12 in ICC...9/13 in ToT HM) - but they will never ever be paragon or method skill level..no matter what wave on endless they hit in proving grounds.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  18. #398
    Dreadlord Ryuji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A place, with stuff
    Posts
    913
    Just finished gold dps as a ret and it wasn't too bad, though I panicked a bit on wave 8 or 9 when my cooldowns weren't up. Managed to one-shot bronze to gold though.

    Tried the others and I will say the healer one ain't exactly a good judge of healing considering the people you need to heal stand in bad stuff A LOT. Tank one's a pretty good judge of it, though I will say the dps one is fine in terms of judging said dps for raids at least.
    Last edited by Ryuji; 2013-09-15 at 10:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Song that's currently stuck in my head: Ratchet Deadlocked - Planet Torval - The Turn On https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVsk70RxsSY

  19. #399
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    From a healer perspective, I disagree.
    They are all quite far from real raiding, but they at least teach you to be keybound, play decently and plan ahead. In OP's example some of his raiders lack these basic skills. This is why I think it's a good idea to require these.

    The DPS one is about ONLY dpssing while not caring about standing in bad stuff.
    The healing one is about waiting for damage before you heal it up with your cheapest spells (no preemptive healing). You just cannot wait for significant damage in raiding at this moment. Abilities just hurt too much.
    The tank one is said to be the most challenging. The reason? It has very little to do with actually raid or dungeon tanking. You're supposed get aggro and then you cc and kite while your npc kills stuff for you.

  20. #400
    Considering I one shot bronze, silver, gold and got to wave 18 all on my first attempts and going in blind, this is hardly asking anything. "Hey can you spend 30 minutes in Proving Grounds to show you're not a complete idiot?"

    It honestly seems unnecessary from how easy it is. You're the raid leader, so you should know each person's individual raid performance. That will tell more than Proving Grounds. I'm under the assumption Proving Grounds are for a new player to learn their class. For the healing one at least, it teaches when to AoE, when to ST, how to conserve mana, proper CD usage, and future-planning. A lot of the lessons in proving grounds aren't actually applicable to real raids. The playstyle is completely different.

    For example, you'd never catch me using a greater heal on a DPS to heal them, yet I do it all the time in PG. Since my mana regen is so abysmal, I can't atonement heal or PW:S spam or do other things like that. When was the last time I used "Heal"? Oh right, in PG. I've never used it any other time this expansion other than maybe regular dungeons.

    LFR was honestly a better teacher for healing in a raid.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2013-09-15 at 08:21 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •