Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    OP, judging by your gear and raid history on both toons, and the fact that your raid had problems during Siege (which I would assume was the first 4 bosses), it sounds like you're casual.

So yes, it probably wasn't the smartest thing in the world to have such a strict requirement is such a casual settings. Yes, strict. I don't care if you one shot it and think it's easy as cake, I would say the majority of player base will never see gold.

- - - Updated - - -

The OP isn't in a competitive guild.
    Very casual, now. Was in Death & Taxes /shrug.

We cleared 4/4 flex which made me happy. It was after many wipes on Narushen due to simple play mistakes.

That's the gold requirement: to weed out players who want to be carried.

Proving Grounds Gold is do-able for every class/spec. If I did it on my Fire Mage first day, other specs/classes (that do not get as severely limited in their DPS output due to the iLvL scale) should not have nearly as tough a time. You can realistically do it in an hour or less, and that's if you're wiping every so often to a banshee or learning what each mob does ability wise.

I see no problem with asking a simple task to prove you belong in a raid. Good idea all around.

I got up to endless 38 as a dps and 42 as a tank already (paladin).. if you cant get gold you really shouldnt be raiding at all..

Well, Gold's unreasonable for me right now, at the very least. My system couldn't handle 6 minutes for the Cloak quest, much less the length of time for Bronze, Silver, and gold. (I got Bronze, at least, but wasn't interested in hours of locking up part way through the waves; I wound up needing nearly 2 hours before my computer was able to remain stable for the duration of that encounter)

Are you taking into account the class/spec combinations of the people who're getting Gold, vs the ones struggling with it? The waves I dealt with felt ... skewed toward a particular style of play, and nothing like the rest of the game to me. It didn't feel like it was applicable, outside the instance. I can see how my Shammy will likely be better able to counter some of the problems my main had, but I doubt it'll be any more rewarding.

I guess I'd say PG Gold feels like an arbitrary goal post after a single night of things not going smoothly.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

I like the idea, i'll suggest it to my gm. Tyvm
    Bane

Quote Originally Posted by Tankitbetter View Post
    Very casual, now. Was in Death & Taxes /shrug.

We cleared 4/4 flex which made me happy. It was after many wipes on Narushen due to simple play mistakes.

That's the gold requirement: to weed out players who want to be carried.
    Okay and you aren't in a hardcore guild anymore. Quit giving your raiders that attitude.

Casual raiders do not like being old what to do when it comes to their own non-raid time.

Expecting your raiders to gem/chant/reforge/flask is one thing. Adding a silly requirement of "Thou shalt do Proving Grounds or thou shalt not raid in our casual group" is a completely different animal. It would be like expecting your ICC casual 10 man group to run 25 ICC just to run 10 man ICC.
    "When you've got to get down, but can't find the elevator, you have to do it any way you can. Even if it's with a shovel."- Dark Tower II: Drawing of the Three, Stephen King
    Juju's kgpanels: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/jujus-kgpanels Juju's blog: http://mouthygoblin.weebly.com/jujus-blog.html#/

Quote Originally Posted by taheen74 View Post
    Okay and you aren't in a hardcore guild anymore. Quit giving your raiders that attitude.

Casual raiders do not like being old what to do when it comes to their own non-raid time.

Expecting your raiders to gem/chant/reforge/flask is one thing. Adding a silly requirement of "Thou shalt do Proving Grounds or thou shalt not raid in our casual group" is a completely different animal.
    There is a difference between casual and bad. Many people are figuring it out. Hopefully you do too

Quote Originally Posted by taheen74 View Post

Expecting your raiders to gem/chant/reforge/flask is one thing. Adding a silly requirement of "Thou shalt do Proving Grounds or thou shalt not raid in our casual group" is a completely different animal. It would be like expecting your ICC casual 10 man group to run 25 ICC just to run 10 man ICC.
    What are you on? Seriously???
    Applying your logic here, so its impossible to get gold for casual?
    You are just moaning because you cannot do it yourself.

I only have silver on all of them, I'm old and slow.

I do however have 13/13HC in ToT and we breezed through to 8/14 in SoO in about 4ish hours of raiding.

This tells me proving grounds say little about raiding. It also tells me you know sweet f all about leading groups if you laid down an ultimatum that made a bunch of your people /gquit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaqur View Post
    What are you on? Seriously???
    Applying your logic here, so its impossible to get gold for casual?
    You are just moaning because you cannot do it yourself.

I got gold myself- however that doesn't mean I'm going to make it a requirement for a one day a week raid group.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post

This tells me proving grounds say little about raiding. It also tells me you know sweet f all about leading groups if you laid down an ultimatum that made a bunch of your people /gquit.
    ^ this right here.

PG does nothing to prepare anyone for raiding. Nothing at all.
    "When you've got to get down, but can't find the elevator, you have to do it any way you can. Even if it's with a shovel."- Dark Tower II: Drawing of the Three, Stephen King
    Juju's kgpanels: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/jujus-kgpanels Juju's blog: http://mouthygoblin.weebly.com/jujus-blog.html#/

Your guild, your rules. If having that req met is more important than keeping a player in the guild, so be it. Just be prepared for the consequences of your decision. I wonder if someone is going to leave because they have a friend in the guild that left due to this new rule and they care more about playing with their friend. Time will tell, I suppose.

I do however have 13/13HC in ToT and we breezed through to 8/14 in SoO in about 4ish hours of raiding.

3 = a bunch now? Yeesh, hyperbole.

Getting gold proves you have some competence. It doesn't mean you're a heroic raider - however, if you cannot get gold, you probably should be in LFR.

Instead of researching SoO to it's fullest extent, you force people to jump through an arbitary hoop that has no useful purpose?

Terrible, terrible, terrible idea. Raid Skills and "Proving Grounds" skill and DPS skills are completely different. As a warlock, if you want to do Proving Grounds easy, you go destro, just like the more "bursty" bosses in Brawlers Guild (Ah'uroo in particular). But Destro in a raid? That's crazy talk. In proving grounds, you can stun then fear the monkey. I don't know the last time fear was useful in PVE....

Your raiders were right to quit on you in my opinion.
    Last edited by Skroe; 2013-09-15 at 02:50 AM.

I think making it a requirement is a sound idea, but there are some details that would need to be ironed out. Some specs have it a lot worse than others. Sure, it can be done with any spec, but as you said, your guild is rather casual and chances are, at least some (probably more than just some) of your raiders couldn't even be considered good. Maybe OK, but not good. So, those with specs that do shitty damage at 463 ilvl should be exempt or only be required to complete Silver. If you want every single one of your raiders to be able to do Gold regardless and won't have it otherwise, then you'll just have to get better players, it's as simple as that.

As far as some people here freaking out over you doing this, I'm really not following that.
    Last edited by Creotor; 2013-09-15 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankitbetter View Post
    3 = a bunch now? Yeesh, hyperbole.

Getting gold proves you have some competence. It doesn't mean you're a heroic raider - however, if you cannot get gold, you probably should be in LFR.
    I probably should be in LFR then. I suck at proving grounds. Can't tank silver, can't heal bronze, can't dps gold. And yet I have done ToT as tank no problem. It's almost, ALMOST, like they don't have any correlation. Who would have thought?

Quote Originally Posted by Nirty999 View Post
    I got up to endless 38 as a dps and 42 as a tank already (paladin).. if you cant get gold you really shouldnt be raiding at all..
    I've cleared SoO Normal within the first 2 days and 13/13 last tier. As a boomkin i had issues in gold / endless.
    Should i not be raiding because boomkins lack for 463?

I'm going to guess you aren't raiding heroics. So no, Gold should not be required (Gold is tuned for heroics according to Blizzard). Silver maybe, but definitely not gold.

However doing Proving Grounds for a raid spot is still stupid logic. Bench those who can't master the mechanics instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    OP - You posted here wanting thoughts... but you're rejecting every single criticism. So WTF did you post here for? You can do whatever you want. Your raid, your rules. But don't ask for peoples' thoughts if you don't actually want to hear anything that doesn't agree with your opinion.

Deleted

It is not like you are unable to take gold if you wanted to. The fact that you are 8/14 in SoO and only got silver simply means that you have not bothered. While PG does not relate 100% to raiding, your results in it still exhibits your basic (and advanced) knowledge of your class. It is like anything else in WoW. If I get to choose between two guys with equal gear and raiding experience, one has done nothing other than questing or farming mats or whatever, the other is multi-glad and got several realm best challenge mode times, guess what, I would chose the guy with several realm best challenge mode times and glad titles even though those achievements have nothing to do with raiding whatsoever and both players had the same progress and gear.

Certain things simply displays your ability to play your class. Just because you does not have it does not mean you are bad, but having it says something.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    OP - You posted here wanting thoughts... but you're rejecting every single criticism. So WTF did you post here for? You can do whatever you want. Your raid, your rules. But don't ask for peoples' thoughts if you don't actually want to hear anything that doesn't agree with your opinion.
    It's seriously shit like this nightmare idea the OP had, that I hear from raiders who app on a regular basis. The crazy crap that goes on in many raid guilds is appalling. This is as sound as "Guild Taxes", which used to be another awful idea that plenty of places did.