Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[TV] The Next Great Sci Fi Show

Firefly...*gasps*...not...coming...back...ever.

Is there ANY good Sci Fi shows being produced/soon to be produced? Right now, we really don't have any that I know of.

Doesn't have to be something on TV, it could be a fan made series.

Your thoughts on the future of the genre?

10+ Year Old Account
    I second Doctor Who. And if you don't mind cartoons, Cowboy Bebop is in the same space-western vein as Firefly.

continuum. defiance.

seems that the time of space travel is past. (

some.other shows you make like, burn notice. survivor. under the dome. sanctuary. game of thrones. true blood.

Deleted
    Almost Human is a show you should keep an eye on.

i might just check that out

Doctor Who, Falling Skies, Continuum, Orphan Black and Warehouse 13 are all current sci-fi shows worth watching. I'm definitely looking forward to Almost Human and Ron Moore has a new show coming up called Outlander in which the protagonist gets flung back in time. I'm not sure if it's sci-fi-ish or not though. Based on a book series by Diana Gabaldon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Woah... Almost Human looks pretty badass , I'll have to stick that on the list with Orphan Black as a show I need to check out .
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandta View Post
    Almost Human is a show you should keep an eye on.

Yeah . . . . gonna start watching that when it comes out.
    Putin khuliyo

15+ Year Old Account
    Oof.. Fox... Get ready for a season 1 cancellation.

Good sci-fi costs too much to produce. Considering audiences readiness to lap up cheap reality television I wouldn't pin hopes on great sci-fi any time soon.

Stuff like Lost might do well again. The sci-fi has to be hidden away amidst flashy nonsense to be successful. Excluding present company.. most tv watchers are brain dead and struggle with anything that can't be wrapped up in an 8min segment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I hate you a little but mostly because you're 100% spot on...

Thankfully shows like GoT and True Blood have shown that sometimes it IS worth the money to fund these shows. Add in Agent's of Shield, which will (hopefully) do very well and jjuusstt maybe they'll realise it's worth putting the money into shows like these.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Good sci-fi costs too much to produce. Considering audiences readiness to lap up cheap reality television I wouldn't pin hopes on great sci-fi any time soon.

Stuff like Lost might do well again. The sci-fi has to be hidden away amidst flashy nonsense to be successful. Excluding present company.. most tv watchers are brain dead and struggle with anything that can't be wrapped up in an 8min segment.
    Fringe did fairly well having the Sci-fi way out in the open. I'm still surprised it made it 6 seasons on Fox though.

Almost Human looks pretty cool, I get a Blade Runner vibe from it.

Too bad it's on Fox though, I don't expect it to last a season.

idk Summer Glau's not in it. It might almost last 2 seasons.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Doctor Who is brilliant, but it's hardly new!
    He said there wasn't any good sci-fi that he knew of. Obviously he didn't know of Doctor Who.

While nothing has been announced I would have to think they will do another Star Trek TV series. There has also been a lot of rumors of a Star Wars TV series that ties into the movies in someway. Maybe even a Stargate series not named Universe. I'm also surprised they haven't brought back Torchwood.

The newest sci-fi show that's my favorite is definitely Continuum. I'd say it's worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    While nothing has been announced I would have to think they will do another Star Trek TV series. There has also been a lot of rumors of a Star Wars TV series that ties into the movies in someway. Maybe even a Stargate series not named Universe. I'm also surprised they haven't brought back Torchwood.
    Walter Koenig has a kick starter going for a new Star Trek.

Last I heard RTD still wants to do another season of Torchwood but it isn't his main priority, might be a few years before we see another season.

Falling Skies
    Defiance
    Terra Nova (RIP :<)
    Doctor Who
    Torchwood
    Revolution
    V
    Fringe

Upcoming:
    Agents of SHIELD
    The 100
    Tomorrow People

Those are some of the sci-fi shows I've been watching/have watched I'd consider worth looking at.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Almost Human looks pretty cool, I get a Blade Runner vibe from it.

Too bad it's on Fox though, I don't expect it to last a season.
    Was thinking the same thing. Wrong channel for any good show to last(looking at you The River/Terra Nova).

last great sci-fi show for me was battlestar galactica, have seen the entire 4 seasons 3 times already and it doesn't get old, really wished "V" was renewed but oh well, holding out hope for agents of shield, under the dome kinda getting boring, and I lose interest have way throught he episodes, oh almost forgot about Lost and heroes, but both went out with a good ending, stargate U was pretty good too but the series finale was kinda lame.