Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    If there's a problem which will stop this from becoming reality, it's the people playing it. People who play games are the number 1 reason why games are bad. Stuff like raising an army or leading a nation will never ever happen, when 99% of the people want to do their own thing or be the leader themselves.

Personally though, I don't see that as a bad thing. I love the lone wolf playing style, and perhaps this would be a great venue to thrive as such. Create some wealth by hunting, foraging and so on, and then move on to stealing other people's shit, and eventually assassinating people. Sounds like fun to me.

Remains to be seen, but I for one am a bit skeptical.

I guess it depends on how much it costs, if its B2P, it might do better than wurm, just by having a space exploration aspect, but if its subscription based i doubt it'll do any better. if it was completely free, it might hold some ppl but then i don't see it being great while also not generating any revenue.

the sandbox genre is still very niche, it only appeals to a select player and minecraft, terraria, soon to be starbound, they all fill that void pretty well.

i'm just talking pure speculation, but it really comes down to the quality of the game, how engaging it is how gorgeous it looks, how well the features work.. theres countless things that could be the main reasons why ppl play the games they do. if they can hit enough nails on the head then i don't see why it wouldn't do well, but having millions, thats just wishful thinking.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2013-09-15 at 03:48 PM.

Deleted
    Yeah, I think, if they are lucky, that this game could reach the popularity of WoW and Minecraft!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    I guess it depends on how much it costs, if its B2P, it might do better than wurm, just by having a space exploration aspect, but if its subscription based i doubt it'll do any better. if it was completely free, it might hold some ppl but then i don't see it being great while also not generating any revenue.

the sandbox genre is still very niche, it only appeals to a select player and minecraft, terraria, soon to be starbound, they all fill that void pretty well.

i'm just talking pure speculation, but it really comes down to the quality of the game, how engaging it is how gorgeous it looks, how well the features work.. theres countless things that could be the main reasons why ppl play the games they do. if they can hit enough nails on the head then i don't see why it wouldn't do well, but having millions, thats just wishful thinking.
    EVE is sandbox, ever increasing player base, with game and server technology way beyond any other MMOs'.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

yeah eve is pretty unique, but it also loses as many as it gains, for example me, i have a carrier about 5bil in assets but i simply do not see the point in playing it when there are other sandboxes out there. it doesn't have the player retention as other mmos.

i'd like to see this universe project in action though it all comes down to how its handled, what the pinnacle is like, what the gap between long players and newbs is like. depending on those things it may become quite popular, i just don't see it retaining millions simply due to it not catering to the masses as much as say wow does. basically just like eve, not everyone can do everything and thats where it'll struggle, like another guy said, everyone wants to lead armies, but not everyone will be able to. thats just one example.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2013-09-15 at 06:52 PM.

Can't speak to the technical aspects of the question since I'm not super tech savvy, but it sounds boring as shit and I'd have no interest in playing it. A multiplayer survival sim? NTY.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally doesn't interest me, seems far fetched and the entire concept behind the game is just not easy to make happen. Chances a game like this would be good are very low.
    Hey everyone

It'll never work, because it simply cannot beat the already existing version:

Reality.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post

Reality.
    And yet, people still play the Sims. A game similar to reality could work and with many gameplay styles you could reach out to broader audiences as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I"m interested in the "Build Anything" aspect. That is quite ambitious. I don't want to see something like Minecraft where build anything is as limited.

Don't get me wrong, the amount of crafting options works quite well for Minecraft. I'm not sure how well it would work for this game though.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I"m interested in the "Build Anything" aspect. That is quite ambitious. I don't want to see something like Minecraft where build anything is as limited.

Don't get me wrong, the amount of crafting options works quite well for Minecraft. I'm not sure how well it would work for this game though.
    This might be some useful information, the concept for building seems to make sense. I like the fact that you can eventually set out the layout of your buildings. It goes as deep as it needs to.

How will building structures work? And how long would it take to, for example build a basic home?
    This questions smells a little bit like we're making a comparison to Minecraft, so I'll start there. Like most other skill related elements of the game, the player is not intimately involved in the creation or execution of any one skill (except perhaps combat, to a degree). The game wont be like Minecraft in that you build your home out of blocks. Especially with the simplest of housing, there will be a sort of "recipe" that results in a home or hut being built.

That being said, later on in the game, characters ability to create structures will eventually advance to the point where players can choose the layout of their own buildings. But it will be more like placing walls, doors, windows, and floors rather than using building blocks.

Deleted
    Wow! I'd totally quit WoW for a game like this!

Quote Originally Posted by Terralon View Post
    And yet, people still play the Sims. A game similar to reality could work and with many gameplay styles you could reach out to broader audiences as well.
    I know. It just boggles my mind. The fact that people would get up in the morning, have breakfast, go to work, go home, sit behind their computer, and then simulate their day for fun just sounds like outright insanity to me. It's some kind of weird expansive treadmill, only the rodents are humans.

Yes. I positively find this kind of stuff insane. There's something completely weird about the whole thing, and I just can't understand it.

If you want to build a hut and go hunting, then... Why wouldn't you go and build a hut and go hunting? Why would you instead opt for sitting behind your computer pretending to do real stuff? I mean: We can't go adventuring in real life; that kind of stuff has some serious ramifications, including paperwork and violent death. So it would make sense that we'd pretend to do that kind of stuff in computer simulations.

am i crazy or are those screenshots literally made with the map editor from Warcraft 2?!? those are all warcraft 2 sprites.

Not happening, there are some crazy desperate ppl who may play this game, but nobody will spend precious hours on a crappy game just to simulate life. Not happening at all. There are no rewards, there is no fun. Some may say "ok but Eve has a little success" well, it has graphic, it has ships, fights, models, it's a normal game, it has everything.

Minecraft was fun and exciting.
    Wurm dull and never enough populated.
    This project will not happen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamondo View Post
    am i crazy or are those screenshots literally made with the map editor from Warcraft 2?!? those are all warcraft 2 sprites.
    Yeah, those are temporary placeholders until they get decent art designers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    it'll never get enough players to populate it. i've been playing wurm online recently and that is basically a mmo version of minecraft with everything but the exploring other planets aspect, yet it seems as though theres never more than 100 players on the same server as me at any 1 time. and never more than 1000 or so playing across all servers.

all someone needs to do now is combine kerbal space program with minecraft and we could have the best game ever made.
    Hehehe :P
    I have also played Wurm quite a bit. It is an awesome game but I would as you implied, also enjoy if it felt more lively with players.
    But they are doing some new interesting things now to try and get more new players to stay. Nailing some features helping them early in the game.

You can check it out searching for "wurm online developer diary 3" on youtube. Sorry I cant post links because im so new at the forums

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post

Reality.
    There has already been several successful life simulators, most has been brought up already.
    But a fact to take into consideration when talking about games like these is that people love to try out new roles and behavior.
    People have many sides and are complex, many suppress aspects of them self and are highly insecure about their identity.
    They use games like this to test out new behavior patterns, divulging in exploring their personality and test boundary's in a safe environment.

It's not the tech. Such realistic project is not feasible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    It's not the tech. Such realistic project is not feasible.
    How come? We have so many realistic games already. If they focus on the gameplay they could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Terralon View Post
    How come? We have so many realistic games already. If they focus on the gameplay they could do it.
    Realism of gameplay is way more complex than graphics.