5.4 - Green Fire Quest

Evening people,

After several hours of trying different tactics, found one that stuck for me, but either I am just unlucky or I need to revise it - anyone out there able to shed some light on what I am doing wrong. I'm not looking for "Yeah I did it in two minutes it's easy" etc, I'm pretty skilled at the game, so I don't think it's a lack of skill it may just be a lack of technique, or just needing a refinement. (or maybe just not doing it at 11 o clock at night on a work night!)

Sequence of events basically goes.

Start fight with a RoF and immolate on the boss, then spam incinerate until the pit lord spawns.
    Cast two conflagrates just before he spawns to get 6 stacks up.
    Enslave him then charge on the boss, fire out two chaos bolts.
    Then just nuke him, using the fel flame to cleanse debuffs and heal myself up etc
    Use demonic circle to avoid the chaos bolt.
    Then use aoe to take the imps etc etc.

All of that is fine, it's the felhunters that do it for me, I just got to the second lot of felhunters, (40% ish on the boss, maybe a bit less) and they dispelled the pit lord straight away, so either unlucky RNG, or again refinement needed.

My question is, are there any tips or anything for 5.4 to help out, or if anyone has done it recently and can shed some light

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...m/Trist/simple - armoury (welfare epics etc etc)

I think talent/glyph/spec is fine, it's just killing the felhunters and re-enslaving my pit lord whilst keeping the doom lord banished whilst keeping an eye out for chaos bolts.

Are there any macros or addons that may help.

Overall, I have the core of it, is it just a case of practising and eventually I'll get him down, or am I missing something fundamental.

Off to bed now as I want to rip my own throat out, but I will check this in the morning.

Any input is greatly appreciated, scrutinise my technique/gear/spec, as long as I get the bastard down and get all greeny I am happy

(as I have to then do it all again for my fiancee!!)

Thanks in advance.

Move the pit lord out of LOS early (Just as he starts to move to summon the felhunters).
    Make sure you keep the pups facing you (Their dispell is a 180 degree cone effect).
    Save CDs for the pups and havoc CB etc and don't forget shadowfury to help you get them into position.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Terralin View Post
    I'm pretty skilled at the game, so I don't think it's a lack of skill it may just be a lack of technique, or just needing a refinement.
    Yet you couldn't do the quest one patch later...

Anyway, regarding the felhunters. I'm not sure their dispel even has a los requirement, or maybe some of the columns in the arena don't actually break los, because my pit lord got dispelled when I tried hiding him behind one.
    What I did on my successful atttempt is, I moved the pit lord on the opposite side of the room, so when the felhunters spawn they'd face me, because I think what Acaila said is right, and to dispel the target the felhunters must be facing it.
    But you need to aggro them on yourself asap. Stay really close to the portal and cast RoF on top of it just before felhunters spawn. If you're destro, havoc+chaos blot should make quick work of them.

You should have a macro to auto target and enslave the pit lord to save time. As well as macro for his breath ability. You still can aim and cast it manually, but no need to make the fight more complicated than it already is.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

See my sig. In my try I forgot to rebanish the pit lord during the summon of the second doom lord.
    Strategy revolves around clever use of the Stun/plus-dmg-taken from the pit lord.
    Last edited by Berthold; 2013-09-16 at 11:04 AM.

It sounds like you're just forgetting to re-enslave your pit lord. If you don't, he'll lose the debuff around the time of the second pack of fel hunters.

And I'd like to emphasize what Acaila said; I found this to be true as well, but I'd argue the cone effect is bigger than 180*, closer to 270* in fact. The hunters didn't touch the Pit Lord the attempts where I let him be directly behind them.
    ~ Battle.net MVP ~
    Overwatch mod
    Twitter | Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by Voidgazer View Post
    Yet you couldn't do the quest one patch later...

Anyway, regarding the felhunters. I'm not sure their dispel even has a los requirement, or maybe some of the columns in the arena don't actually break los, because my pit lord got dispelled when I tried hiding him behind one.
    What I did on my successful atttempt is, I moved the pit lord on the opposite side of the room, so when the felhunters spawn they'd face me, because I think what Acaila said is right, and to dispel the target the felhunters must be facing it.
    But you need to aggro them on yourself asap. Stay really close to the portal and cast RoF on top of it just before felhunters spawn. If you're destro, havoc+chaos blot should make quick work of them.

You should have a macro to auto target and enslave the pit lord to save time. As well as macro for his breath ability. You still can aim and cast it manually, but no need to make the fight more complicated than it already is.
    Ever think that maybe he coudlnt get a codex last patch since its not a 100% drop on a named? I didnt get one til late in 5.3 due to the amount of people on the isle killing named and never finding one up, and when i did i was never lucky enough to get it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidgazer View Post
    The Felhunters' Devour Enslavement ability is a frontal cone with 100 yard range and they spam it very frequently.

If you or anyone else wants more mechanical details for the fight, I added ALL of the abilities and core mechanics of the fight to this wowpedia article: http://wowpedia.org/Kanrethad_Ebonlocke_%28tactics%29

What i did was send the pit lord kind of early all the way to the right side inbetween one of the niches of stone columns, then i RoF'ed the gateway to get aggro while i was on the left side as soon as they popped, do a bane>retarget chaos bolt, then used the portal or gateway (or just run in) left into a niche. The pitlord should drag Ken away with him and the pitlords should be facing in a 180 direction away from the pitlord so he doesnt break the enslave.

Now keep in mind that the second round of felpuppies is just about the time your pitlord will be breaking out of his enslavement. You may forget this and think that the felpuppies are breaking him out when its just your enslave expiring. So what i did was during second imp phase i clicked off the enslavement, and reenslaved to give myself a lot of time for error.

The key to this fight is good macros and timing. Make macros that can have your pet target ken and charge him all in one big shiny button so that if your dealing with the felpuppies takes longer then normal you will have something to get your pet to prevent the cataclysm. Dont just press it once. pound that sucker 3-4 times cause sometimes he gets stuck in that niche and you have to make sure he gets the command.

Another macro to have the pitlord target you and do his breath attack is also helpful for getting the imps all together. also his equivilent of demonic sacrifice (where he gives you a big Damage shield at the cost of his health should be well used. Either during imp phase when they are nuking the shit out of you or if the puppies are giving you problems. Your pit lord isnt going to die through this fight.

Deleted
    So yeah this is pretty hard now you cant use the gateway strat.

A few tips that haven't been mentioned:

- After you interrupt the Cataclysm he takes 100% extra damage, you have time to get 2 chaos bolts off during this (assuming you are destro). They'll be hitting for circa 1mil each. Note that sometimes he runs to the middle and doesn't cast Cataclysm, use the charge anyway to still make the most of the debuff.

- Make sure you make use of the healing ability that the pit lord has (heals you for 200k on a 20 second cooldown)

- Make sure you take Shadowfury and use it on imps as well as felhunters, no point kiting them just stand and nuke them.

- Make sure to rebuff Dark Intent after Felhunters as they will dispell you.

- Make sure you take Unbound Will to dispell yourself if you need to whilst hiding from a choas bolt or the like.

- Refresh your portal after the 2nd or third bolt to make sure it doesn't run out.

- Make sure you target the doomlords and actually use the pet attack command to ensure he has aggro on it. Just banish the second one if you get that far.

- Use GoSac and sacrifice your pet before the pull.

Hope this helps, I spent about 4 hours in there on Sunday refining it all.

Got him down tonight after a lot of blagging, your youtube video helped with some positioning Berthold, thank you. And thank you to everyone else, much appreciated. Now to rest a few days before I have to do it for the better half...

Deleted
    This fight is all about practicing the execution and 100% focus the whole fight. There are alot of things to remember and if you forget one of them you'll likely die. I watched a alot of video guides and pulled a bit of each strategy from these to use myself.

The main thing that held me back was the pitlord being dispelled as soon as the felhunters came out. To combat this, make sure the preemptively move your pitlord away from the portal BEFORE the felhunters arrive. Have RoF on the portal so you draw aggro as soon as they come out, and make sure to have a CD ready to kill them quickly.

I spent about 4 hours on this (with a few breaks) and it is honestly all about practicing the execution. Just remember to keep focus until he is dead, don't get excited at 5% because one missed shield could mean dying to a CB and having to start all over again.

Keep at it and you'll eventually get it. Good luck

It took my about 70 tries to get him down.
    First of all there is a way to dps boss even more at the beggining , so when pit lord appears dont enslave , just fear him and for 20 seconds keep dpsing boss , then enslave. this adds 20 more seconds of free dps to the boss and also if u get boss below 90% health it wont do cataclysm at all before imp phase.

-Get a leatherworker to make u drum of war that works as heroism and bloodlust but it gives 25% haste instead of 30. use this + prepot for the free dps phase at the beggining.
    - at felhunter phase move ur pit lord to left side of the portal , just that not los. and u go to the right side of the portal. use mannoroths fury and rain of fire 2 or 3 times around the potal to get initial aggro. then use conflagrate on first felhunter and then havoc him , start casting chaos bolt on second and while casting charge felhunters with ur pit lord and use his fire aoe as well. this will get u 2 dead felhunters and an almost dead 3rd. shadowfury the 3rd and finish it off.
    - at doom olrd phases break enslave and reenslave pit lord urself.
    - use potion of purification to remove curse of doom while it expires if u cant handle the damage.
    - use the demonic portal in the second rocks to the right side of ebonlockes portal , and also put ur demonic circle there as well. u want to use circle to los chaos bolts and then use portal to reduce threat and come back .

good luck ,green fire is awesome!

I ve just lvl my warlock to 90, can I get the tome to start the quest from timeless isle or i need to go back to isle of thunder?
    Thanx in advance.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ant13 View Post
    I ve just lvl my warlock to 90, can I get the tome to start the quest from timeless isle or i need to go back to isle of thunder?
    Thanx in advance.
    it drops from rare mobs only.

only on isle of thunder. took me about 120 kills before i found one.

10+ Year Old Account
    you still need to get the tome from the isle of thunder. did it with my second warlock last week. after ~1h of killing the named monsters on the isles I finallly got it.

Quote Originally Posted by ant13 View Post
    Thanx in advance.

Isle of Thunder - got it on my eighth kill of a rare

The turtle (Gorda) is pretty easy
    And shepherds we shall be...