Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    case in point you did not even attempt at stylizing your feedback in a constructive manner.
    But on the plus side, he provoked that guy into a reportable violation of the ToS. That's the best kind of PvP.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler

"Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler

Tact goes something like this

Y) So have you played this before?
    H) Nope.
    Y) Well would you like me to explain what i know of the fight

Y) Are you gearing up a new character?
    H) Yep
    Y) I see you havn't finished gemming or enchanting. i could probably offer a couple of cheap enchants, gems that i have... or do you think you will be okay for now?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    But on the plus side, he provoked that guy into a reportable violation of the ToS. That's the best kind of PvP.
    ahhh yes,

PVP in Real life!

Quote Originally Posted by xezar View Post
    Depends, if you do flex with a ton of pugs from the same server, it could end up as bad as lfr is currently (4 wipes on Sha, come on...). Or, if you do flex with a bunch of competent guildies, shit dies fast.
    You only wipe in LFR because people simply stopped giving a shit after having content nerfed over and over and made so easy and being grouped up with players who are either terrible, don't care about the others or what happened or were slacking on purpose. At the start I actually tried in LFR now I don't. There are still players explaining tactics in LFR and do their best and everyone should be praising them because without those few players you would not even be able to finish LFR.

- - - Updated - - -

case in point you did not even attempt at stylizing your feedback in a constructive manner.
    Good reason to call someone a cunt. I hope you don't seriously think it's an insult when someone tells you you didn't enchant your gear.

I'm not going to be constructive to some random player anymore. Deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    You only wipe in LFR because people simply stopped giving a shit after having content nerfed over and over and made so easy and being grouped up with players who are either terrible, don't care about the others or what happened or were slacking on purpose. At the start I actually tried in LFR now I don't. There are still players explaining tactics in LFR and do their best and everyone should be praising them because without those few players you would not even be able to finish LFR.

- - - Updated - - -

Good reason to call someone a cunt. I hope you don't seriously think it's an insult when someone tells you you didn't enchant your gear.

if you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

you are precisely one of the elements that degrades in-game community that you yourself despise. you are making the game less enjoyable for yourself and that is irrational.

if you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

you are precisely one of the elements that degrades in-game community that you yourself despise. you are making the game less enjoyable for yourself and that is irrational.
    You don't know anything about me. I'm pretty sure I helped more people in WoW than you ever did.

It's really not my fault that Blizzard made content so you can steamroll through it by doing nothing at all but press 5 random buttons. How can you expect them to enchant gear when it is far from needed?

But whatever. Have fun helping everyone you come across. Maybe you should inspect everyone in LFR and then whisper them all and help them enchant their gear. I help by asking "ridiculous" requirements for pugs.

The sad thing is that you don't even realize what you did wrong. It's not so much what you said as it is what you did and how you said it. Instead of blurting out, "You didn't even enchant your gear," and then quitting the group before he could so much as respond, you could have mustered up a little tact. Better options:

• You're missing a couple of enchantments. Need advice on which ones to apply?
    • There are some cheap <pick a color> gems for sale on the AH right now. Want to socket them? Even non-optimal gems are better than none.
    • I assume you're in the process of adding item enhancements to your gear right now.

Then after making it known that you're aware of his deficiencies without putting him on the defensive you stick around and wait for him to respond. If there's no response you can step it up with something like, "I'm sorry, but I have a bad feeling about running with a group whose leader can't be bothered to apply minimal effort to enhance their gear. The cost of my repair bill will end up exceeding the cost of your missing enhancements." That way the response will be more on the order of, "Understood. GLHF," and less on the order of, "Go f--- yourself."

In fact, I always carry cheap gems around for such occasions. People are much more receptive to advice after they've been given a 10-gold-piece gem that fits a missing socket.

it is still possible for the median not to be equal to the mean.
    from a strictly theoretical standpoint.
    I understand this, but I think due to the sheer amount of players playing/subscribed, they're going to be very close indeed.
    Isomorphic for LoL EU West
    W/L/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/1 | Mafia: 0/5/5 | TPR: 0/2/2
    SK: 0/1/1 | VT: 1.5/3.5/5 | Cult: 1/0/1
    Legendary Overlooked for WoW EU-EN.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronduwil View Post
    The sad thing is that you don't even realize what you did wrong. It's not so much what you said as it is what you did and how you said it. Instead of blurting out, "You didn't even enchant your gear," and then quitting the group before he could so much as respond, you could have mustered up a little tact. Better options:

• There are some cheap <pick a color> gems for sale on the AH right now. Want to socket them? Even non-optimal gems are better than none.
    • I assume you're in the process of adding item enhancements to your gear right now.

Then after making it known that you're aware of his deficiencies without putting him on the defensive you stick around and wait for him to respond. If there's no response you can step it up with something like, "I'm sorry, but I have a bad feeling about running with a group whose leader can't be bothered to apply minimal effort to enhance their gear. The cost of my repair bill will end up exceeding the cost of your missing enhancements." That way the response will be more on the order of, "Understood. GLHF," and less on the order of, "Go f--- yourself."

In fact, I always carry cheap gems around for such occasions. People are much more receptive to advice after they've been given a 10-gold-piece gem that fits a missing socket.
    You can join a group and look at their gear and know right off the bat what kind of run it is especially if it is all guildies who barely have enough gear to run trying to carry a even worse geared player. Why would someone need to be told to enchant their gear? Gem?

Run with guildies unless you are in a baddie guild then GL.

Pit Lord
    Offering unsolicited advice to a stranger, even politely, is always rude.

It's not your business to offer advice to a stranger even if (you feel) he desperately needs it. If you want to be polite and cause as little drama as possible, you will do your best with what you have around you.

Perhaps there will be an opening for you to dispense useful advice; most likely there won't.

That's how it actually works.

I know exactly what I did. I just don't feel like using "tact" anymore. And even then I wasn't even THAT rude. At least not rude enough to call me a cunt. But I guess you would have called me a cunt also then.

Look at the screenshot. He was missing everything. Should I carry 10 gems for every class? And when you start a raid group or any group at all you could at least be prepared. He obviously wasn't prepared. How is that tactful?

Oh shit, you even googled tact for me. How about: go fuck yourself. for tact?

You don't know anything about me. I'm pretty sure I helped more people in WoW than you ever did.
    your problem is your tactlessness,
    not whether you choose to help or not help others.

And you know as little about what i have done in the game i know about what you have done in the game.
    so again, avoid purposefully facetious arguments. It reflects poorly on your character.

We ran flex with people on our server last week and got the 4 bosses down w/out much trouble (a few wipes). Was a pretty good run.

Last night I did LFR on my main and it was AWFUL. One of the worst LFR experiences I have ever had. I'm not sure there were more than 5 of us left from the start until the last boss went down. In my limited experience Flex with server-mates has been a lot better than LFR with randoms so far in SoO.

Quote Originally Posted by unholyness View Post
    You can join a group and look at their gear and know right off the bat what kind of run it is especially if it is all guildies who barely have enough gear to run trying to carry a even worse geared player. Why would someone need to be told to enchant their gear? Gem?

Run with guildies unless you are in a baddie guild then GL.
    I'm not saying Gilian was wrong to quit the group. I just think it's inaccurate to say you're "helping" someone by /leaving immediately after insulting them. If you really want to help you'll offer constructive advice. Calling someone out for being bad and immediately /leaving without even waiting for a response isn't helping anyone. No one needs to be told to enchant their gear, but some players don't do it on principle. You don't have to run with them. Also for all you know they just got the gear and are in the process of enchanting it while spamming for more players in trade.

TL;DR - If you're not going to help don't help, but don't be insulting and then claim that you were "helping." You weren't.

you could have just said, "Oh shit, my Mother called! i need to go, i am SOO sorry, Bye"

that is tact with out giving anythign away for free.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    Offering unsolicited advice to a stranger, even politely, is always rude.

It's not your business to offer advice to a stranger even if (you feel) he desperately needs it. If you want to be polite and cause as little drama as possible, you will do your best with what you have around you.

Perhaps there will be an opening for you to dispense useful advice; most likely there won't.

That's how it actually works.
    actually you can offer advice if you start with a conversation that is not directed toward advising and then eventually circling around to giving the advice in a low pressure manner.

So You are all guildies? I have run this before with my guild but they aren't online (school/work responsibilities you know). Have you run this before? Oh i know most of the fights pretty well. If want i can explain how we've done it.

I'm not saying Gilian was wrong to quit the group. I just think it's inaccurate to say you're "helping" someone by /leaving immediately after insulting them. If you really want to help you'll offer constructive advice. Calling someone out for being bad and immediately /leaving without even waiting for a response isn't helping anyone. No one needs to be told to enchant their gear, but some players don't do it on principle. You don't have to run with them. Also for all you know they just got the gear and are in the process of enchanting it while spamming for more players in trade.

TL;DR - If you're not going to help don't help, but don't be insulting and then claim that you were "helping." You weren't.
    Where did I say I was helping or wanted to help him? I just gave the reason why I left and I did it without tact because I don't want to use tact for someone who is not even bothered to be prepared for a group he is making himself.

- - - Updated - - -

you could have just said, "Oh shit, my Mother called! i need to go, i am SOO sorry, Bye"

that is tact with out giving anythign away for free.
    So I don't hurt his feelings? Because you hurt someones feelings by saying that he didn't enchant his gear in a videogame and then leave his group? Lol.

Where did I say I was helping or wanted to help him? I just gave the reason why I left and I did it without tact because I don't want to use tact for someone who is not even bothered to be prepared for a group he is making himself.

So I don't hurt his feelings? Because you hurt someones feelings by saying that he didn't enchant his gear in a videogame and then leave his group? Lol.

so don't complain/gloat/feign self-importance (or what ever it was you were doing posting your screen shot) that you got a rude response to a tactless manouvre on your part.

you were obviously rude first, all you proved in your screen shot is that he was correct in his assessment of your character.

I know exactly what I did. I just don't feel like using "tact" anymore. And even then I wasn't even THAT rude. At least not rude enough to call me a cunt. But I guess you would have called me a cunt also then.
    I would have been gemmed and enchanted, so it would never have come up. That having been said, I'm not excusing his behavior, but he's not on this forum and I don't even know his name, so there's not much I can say to him. I'm just saying that rudeness begets more rudeness. As the old saying goes, "What comes around goes around."

Look at the screenshot. He was missing everything. Should I carry 10 gems for every class? And when you start a raid group or any group at all you could at least be prepared. He obviously wasn't prepared. How is that tactful?
    Gary Larson was joking when he said that, "Four wrongs squared, minus two wrongs to the fourth power, divided by this formula, do make a right!" No number of wrongs are ever going to make things right. The guy had problematic notions of acceptable raiding etiquette but you didn't help matters either by insulting him and leaving before he could even make things right. If you didn't want to help him that's fine, but you could have picked a tactful way to drop group.

Oh shit, you even googled tact for me. How about: go fuck yourself. for tact?
    I was helping you out. The irony of you being offended by that was completely unanticipated but gratifyingly humorous.

I was helping you out. The irony of you being offended by that was completely unanticipated but gratifyingly humorous.
    And then you google tact for me... how about irony.

Very tactful and not rude at all to tell someone on the internet you don;t know to be tactful. I only posted this screenshot to show how lazy and uninformed players in WoW have become and to point out you can't just jump into a flex raid unprepared like it's LFR. I also thought it was quite funny that he immediately insulted me like that because I only pointed out a flaw and the reason why I left. But keep discussing how tactful I am...
    Last edited by Gilian; 2013-09-18 at 07:05 PM.

Where did I say I was helping or wanted to help him?
    This implies that you had attempted to be constructive at some point:
    It's not what you said; it's how you said it plus the fact that you didn't even give him a chance to make things right before /leaving.

- - - Updated - - -

And then you google tact for me... how about irony.
    I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. I'll try to be more considerate from now on.