Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    That's a good suggestion, yes.

Again, I don't get this though. If you like questing even more, you CAN roll a real alt. Just like in any other game.

The fact that the game gives you another option seems to be a negative to some people. =/
    No, the design of the actual classes/jobs is awesome. It's really the implementation that is off. I mean you have to level additional ones in order to 'truly' have your class leveled. I don't know if there are enough quests for that, but it seems like there aren't. I guess it depends how you use your time. In any case, simply letting each class/job have separate quest progression seems like it would solve the problem.

It's sorta like they wanted to give you this great gift of being able to have every spec on one toon, much like Rift does with it's varied soul system, but then they just gave up when thinking how to support that. I'm someone who likes alts, so I am not going to level every class on my main, just the ones to serve my purpose. Other people are very, very crazy about one character.

They just need to refine a lot of secondary system things. This being a great example of it. That's all I'm trying to say, but I can't speak for other people.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    No, the design of the actual classes/jobs is awesome. It's really the implementation that is off. I mean you have to level additional ones in order to 'truly' have your class leveled. I don't know if there are enough quests for that, but it seems like there aren't. I guess it depends how you use your time. In any case, simply letting each class/job have separate quest progression seems like it would solve the problem.

It's sorta like they wanted to give you this great gift of being able to have every spec on one toon, much like Rift does with it's varied soul system, but then they just gave up when thinking how to support that. I'm someone who likes alts, so I am not going to level every class on my main, just the ones to serve my purpose. Other people are very, very crazy about one character.

They just need to refine a lot of secondary system things. This being a great example of it. That's all I'm trying to say, but I can't speak for other people.
    I think that allowing all the quests to be reopened up is an option, but I don't think it's a solution it's just a band-aid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    dunno, I use and like my iPhone 5, my wife switched to a Galaxy. I still like my iPhone 5, it has less features overall; and the extra features of the Galaxy have worn off, and my wife is considering her next phone to be an iPhone again. More =/= better.

How much each individual likes any particular game, and what features they want or not want is purely subjective. That is the point of the comparison. What you don't like, I might. What we both don't like, someone else will. The goal is to make the game to deliver to your target audience and size.

The first game was a failure for many reasons. One of them being the copy paste world design. I haven't noticed that this time. The lack of direction. A lot of people had no idea what to do or who to talk to. My wife played 1.0 beta. It is miles different now. They've changed most of the things that were wrong; they may not have hit every nail, but to claim they've tried to re-release the game in shambles is nearly dishonest imo.

I agree with some things not being rewarding enough. I'd like to see better xp and gil out of everything in the finder. I'd like to see everyone get loot from the treasure chests (it shouldn't hurt the economy too much for people to each get some metal to vendor instead of one random). But these aren't game breaking to me, and it is a good thing, imo, that the most efficient leveling isn't dungeon grinding. It should be comparable to fates though, if not just behind it. I'd rather people be out in the world.

I think a future addition that would aide alt leveling would be the Instant Adventure system in Rift. But that can have serious negative impacts on the world. You get a big IA run through a questing area and it leaves non IA people waiting on respawns. They literally wipe sections clean; but overall it works. As long as they stagger the groups and where they go, it isn't too bad. Since the game already has 'sync' for instanced content and fates, it would work out really well.

I have quests for alt classes, because I've skipped a majority. I understand not everyone does that. I understand if I level every class, that option will eventually not be there. But I'm at least suggesting a possible solution. I also think resetting/make repeatable non-story quests when you switch classes would be a good thing.

The game is only a couple weeks old in its new iteration; and it is different enough from the old release that it -is- essentially a new game, even though I conceded it did have the core of its game created already. In time, you will see more pets, more mounts. Expecting tons at launch isn't something I do. I bet you a lot of people don't even know what pets are available. I found some talking to a vendor randomly. Not everyone is reading min/max guides to complete everything as fast as they can, and if you take a more exploration path, you have a change to discover those things.

I remember when I first started WoW (in wrath, I played for a couple weeks or so in BC and didn't care for it much, my first real PC game), I didn't rush, it took me a month or two to get to mid-60s, then some guildies insisted to not worry about gear and hurry up to 80. After a few days I caved; and the experience was not as rich because of it. I still was more involved in the story then; but by the time I leveled alts, and then on to Cata and MoP; I barely paid any attention to anything at all. I looked up anything I wanted/interested me. The 'world' was gone. It was a numbers game. I spent more time on theorycrafting or helping friends find BiS than I did playing the game for fun.

You can call me naive or whatever term you want ... but I will not allow myself to ruin the experience of this game. I will enjoy it; and ask or look up questions after I've tried to figure it out myself for a while. I have no issues killing mobs or helping with fates. I just play the game however I want, and I quite enjoy it.

I find the class quests + hunting logs + nearby fates MORE than enough to level any class; ignoring the main story. But I'm not rushing myself either. There is no goal to get x amount of jobs by the first month. I've returned to a simpler time in my gaming life. I'm not nearly as demanding or entitled. I've done the end game raiding scene, several nights a week for many hours. I even found myself obsessing over stat priorities in SWtOR when I hit max level, using dulfy's charts to get the best use of my stats and I wasn't even worried about raiding. It is why I don't go back to WoW; I can't break the bad habits of being negative about little shit that doesn't really matter; because millions of people love the game and don't see the things I do that irk me.

You want to ignore any comparison that doesn't fit your side of the argument. MOBAs are in the gaming market. They are very popular. They make tons of money. They show different ways to approach business models. THAT is why I mention them.

MoP was $60. It may be $40 now, but it wasn't. Expect WoW's next xpac to be $50-60 at launch as well. That doesn't include a free month of sub iirc; so if you want to say $30 for FFXIV you pay for the sub, then adding the sub to WoW's xpac makes it $75 at launch. I'd say for a month, if you can't get $30 of enjoyment out of FFXIV vs $75 for MoP at launch, then what you require for $30 in a game, and how you evaluate games is not on equal ground ... even if you pay $40 for MoP, you still have to add $15 for a sub and it is still $55 for that first month (if you already own cata and back).

Sub price, well, wait until someone pays it. About the time the raids come out. I will only keep a sub while I feel the game is worth it and how they treat me as a customer stays to a certain standard. Either of those drop, so does my sub. It is why I unsubbed to SWtOR in the past (latter), and why I've unsubbed to WoW in the past (prior). It is your right as a customer to make that decision individually. You can only speak for yourself. There will be many who feel the game is not worth them continuing to sub and there will also be many that feel the game is worth a sub; you may feel passionately that it isn't worth it; I'm ambivalent and thing there will be more than enough people remaining for SE to meet their target. Just the same that you feel there are things missing that break the game for you, and I feel the game is complete, but could use some tweaks or adopt some things from other games to improve the overall experience.

Considering I've played much worse games and seen much worse examples of a game at launch than this; I have a realistic view of the quality of the game from my perspective that anyone is allowed to disagree with. Aion. I find that nearly unplayable. Even years later with their 'true' F2P model. That game just couldn't captivate me at all. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, though some do enjoy it. SWtOR was not ready for launch. It released in a much shoddier state than FFXIV. It had no UI customization for several months. The game needed polishing. EA pushed it out while the developers wanted another year, and you could tell. It is now in a much better state (and it wasn't terrible at launch despite the way that sounds). The big difference I see here is EA has decided that having the worst customer service in the MMO industry is something they can live with, and they also place greed above most else. Their xmas event only had items you could buy on the store, no in game events, no decorations. Just buy this mount we threw some lights on all crappy like. SWtOR and Rift both had full servers and had to add more. So did Tera. Tera was a very smooth launch besides full servers, and a great game.

It is fun having a discussion; but I realize you have a valid opinion about a lot of things. Those opinions aren't facts for everyone though. You aren't wrong, but what you feel isn't right for everyone. You can't decide for the company who they targeted. Unless they release a statement they wanted to cater to the WoW race to max lots of mount and pets and no grind audience; then that is just putting words in their mouth.

How would a person know about a game unless they visit a site like this if not through advertisement? I mean, you have to at some point market your game. You put in bids/pay your fees and it gets put in places people who would be interested would see it. That means, for online advertising, gaming sites mostly. It is how the system works. How much do you think those banners cost? F2P games like 'Scarlet Blade' have had banners on this site. I don't feel they were ever competition for WoW, nor do I think they spent a ton of money that they wouldn't be sure they could get back because it was a fluff MMO with scantily clad women and the possibility to make them naked (for a price).

I'd really appreciate you making a list of things you feel need to be addressed. Not doing so makes your side seem as you see the opposite side. Then, after you make you list, make sure you add options on how to fix each thing, how important they are, and the priority they should be fixed in your opinion. Then, after you post it here, make sure you take the time to go on the official site and post everything you did here. I'm certain they would appreciate a well thought out, constructive, helpful opinion piece on the state of the game and how to improve it. There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism or the discussion of it. I've given some myself on this game though some would pretend I haven't.
    I will come back to this later, but MoP non collectors digital edition was 40 bucks, and you got 30 days sub time for it.
    "If you want to play the game how you want, do so, but don't do it with me. If you wanna play super mario brothers and just jump up and down until the clock runs out and you die, by all means do it when I'm not player two and waiting for you to stop being an asshole."

Deleted
    Did OP just compare an ENTIRE GAME, to 1 single patch in wow? /fail

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokenlastchance View Post
    I will come back to this later, but MoP non collectors digital edition was 40 bucks, and you got 30 days sub time for it.
    You no longer get 30 days. I even contacted customer support asking about it when I got a free copy from my friend.

I don't get what is the deal with end game when the first major patch hasn't even been released.

I think its coming around November and they will be implementing PvP as well as 24m raids etc. So far i expect most of the casuals to be around Coil by that time, of course if you're hardcore then you might probably get a little stagnant and maybe that is where the sub class grinding will come to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpoker View Post
    I don't get what is the deal with end game when the first major patch hasn't even been released.

*snip*

of course if you're hardcore then you might probably get a little stagnant and maybe that is where the sub class grinding will come to play.
    You answered your own question, though using terms like casual and hardcore are not appropriate in a logical sense. I could play 100 hours a week and not be hardcore. I could use that time to pick flowers, level alts, and watch Netflix. Hardcore is a mentality and goal system, it's not an amount of time.

I don't know why people keep making this error of distinction.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, I'm not sure when "hardcore" became defined as "endgame raider" or something.

I considered myself a pretty casual player even when I was getting realm first kills in EQ and WoW, just because of how little time I actually played. 100 hours/week seems pretty hardcore from where I'm sitting.
    I didn't say it was defined as 'endgame raider'. You said that. I said it's about the mentality and goals. Simply raiding doesn't make you hardcore and neither does time. It's about investment and drive...how much the game affects you. Many intangible things, but certainly explainable things.

Playing 100 hours doing nothing in particular or just playing to play because they have ample free time does not make them hardcore. Just because you play basketball in your drive way every night until the sun goes down doesn't make you a professional basketball player. Same deal.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really the same deal at all, since "professional basketball player" is an actual thing. It's pretty well-defined what a "professional basketball player" is.
    Pretty hard to argue with someone who fundamentally doesn't believe that a hardcore video game player exists. I guess I need to go write that fundamental religious new bestseller, Proof of Hardcore Players. Yes, let's call the progression raiders casuals and someone who spends multitudes of hours doing pet battles while they watch TV hardcore.

Because when on the internet, we can't use common sense or generally accepted meanings if there's an argument we can try and win by claiming otherwise. I remember why I don't respond to you typically.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Spokenlastchance View Post
    This game isn't much like BC at all so that advice is highly misleading. The game is very under polished. With many bugs, server issues, gil spamers. Lacking much end game content, and is very very grindy. They had a lot of cool revolution ideas, but many of them were poorly done. Get game in it's current state needs a lot of work of it hopes to keep the membership of it's players, and bring new players in.

I do hope they improve the game, but a months worth of leveling, and mmorpg is waste of your time because the leveling experience is mostly the same as every other mmo on the market.
    You're kind of right because this game is a lot more polished than TBC WOW was when it came out, though it still needs some polish features that WOW currently has. Not talking about changing the gameplay, but it would be nice to have a good item comparison tooltip when selecting quest rewards, it would be nice to either let us interact with stuff while mounted or add in an auto dismount feature when you do something you shouldn't be mounted for, and summoning your chocobo to help you out shouldn't prevent you from mounting, taking a chocobo porter, or queueing for duty finder.

Those are things I would polish for the game, but I wouldn't change the gameplay any at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Prfct View Post
    I got the feeling that some news outlets are ignoring the fact that this game exists... I've been playing it since Phase 4 and I love it, I love all about it... it's too good to pass up for 30us$ even if someone doesn't plan to sub to it. I've an active sub in WoW too so no hate! 5.4 left me a little down though, that isle is not very good content... story/quest/grind wise... half a zone in final fantasy xiv has more events than that isle :P

Peace out and hooray for forums!!!
    They need to fix the lagging you get sometimes (specially in dungeons) and the waiting time on some instances. I was waiting for an Andapor dungeon to come up for 40 minutes yesterday, and i queued with a full group from scratch.

So 40 minutes just waiting for the game to reserve an instance to my full group... That is bullshit.

If stuff like that dont get fixed soon, ill just stop playing it.
    Thrall always was, is, and will be my true Warchief. Garrosh and Vol'jin werent/arent.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashdummy View Post
    They need to fix the lagging you get sometimes (specially in dungeons) and the waiting time on some instances. I was waiting for an Andapor dungeon to come up for 40 minutes yesterday, and i queued with a full group from scratch.

So 40 minutes just waiting for the game to reserve an instance to my full group... That is bullshit.

If stuff like that dont get fixed soon, ill just stop playing it.
    That is something that needs to be fixed, and quick. Did you use the in game reporting tool and/or go to website to state your issue? Please do if you haven't already for the benefit of the game overall.

Basketball. I knew some people who played on community courts that were pretty 'hardcore', and that didn't require being in the NBA. Hardcore does relate to attitude, drive/desire, and I think skill at what they do has a bit to do with it.

I wouldn't call someone who couldn't make a shot, not matter how often or how intense they played hardcore, nor would I consider someone who just casually shoots hoops alone or with a friend while talking for a couple hours a day or so hardcore either.

In game though ... there are players who are hardcore at auction house play. There are hardcore gatherers. I'd say when I set out to gather, I'd do it quite 'hardcore'; I'd put on some music and I'd race from node to node trying to maximize efficiency. I did this on my paladin in cata when I leveled her mining. At 80 I was furiously farming in Twilight Highlands. When Cata launched, I was intensely farming herbs on my tauren druid in flight form (sooo many stacks in an hour), so much so that I actually got two levels from it without paying attention to it. Some people take their raiding hardcore; and dedicate a majority of their free time to it (which is very taxing irl, I personally had to stop).

There are some people who do similar actions, but casually. Someone else may have been farming herbs the same time and amount of time I was, but I might have gotten 3x the nodes they did because of my focus and intent being more determined ... enough so I have been accused of being a bot before; I just like to make the most out of that time so I don't have to go back to it for a while in WoW; or I can maximize profits in the market when a specific item is pricey.

It is a subjective set of terminology, but there is some sort of basic understanding of intention of usage if you use context from posters being sincere, or the poor intentions of posters being underhanded or dismissive. hardcore = dedication and focus, casual = calm, relaxed ... irrespective of the time commitment involved imo. They both can be skilled, though I think skill is possible a requirement for being hardcore to some extent, while casual doesn't equal lack of skill ... those people deserve their own term ... negligent? it fits, whether they are intentionally so or not.

My brother is currently stationed in Japan, and this game is HUGE there. I mean Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show huge.

This game isn't going anywhere for a loooong time, even if american audiences get bored with it.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    My brother is currently stationed in Japan, and this game is HUGE there. I mean Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show huge.

This game isn't going anywhere for a loooong time, even if american audiences get bored with it.
    While I don't doubt it or want it to be otherwise, what is the probably anecdotal evidence that supports this?
    BAD WOLF

While I don't doubt it or want it to be otherwise, what is the probably anecdotal evidence that supports this?
    You know this game shattered the japanese record for concurrent connections to a server right? Factor in that they don't play wow / gws in Japan and it adds up to this being the #1 online game in Japan for the foreseeable future.

But if you want anecdotal evidence too, my brother went to purchase a copy for his girlfriend and they couldn't find a single a off the shelf copy anywhere in the Yokosuka area so the hoped a train to the Akihabara District in Tokyo (pretty much electronic mecha) and couldn't find a copy there either, and that place has a video game store on every street corner.

This game is a big deal there.

10+ Year Old Account
    But if you want anecdotal evidence too, my brother went to purchase a copy for his girlfriend and they couldn't find a single a off the shelf copy anywhere in the Yokosuka area so the hoped a train to the Akihabara District in Tokyo (pretty much electronic mecha) and couldn't find a copy there either, and that place has a video game store on every street corner.

This game is a big deal there.
    I'm really wanting something phenomenal to be like, "Yeah that's so awesome" but I'm not hearing it. I live in the 2nd largest city in my coastal state. We have stores that sell video games on every corner too. I also wasn't able to find a copy of the game until I drove 45 minutes away, it was the only copy they had, and it was because someone cancelled their preorder.

Server concurrency doesn't really mean much to me because that has no cultural implications. I thought you would possibly have some sales figures, or some crazy news article they had, or something. Don't mistake this as negativity, because I'll reiterate I'm wanting to hear something awesome. Maybe it's the cultural difference, but this means nothing to me.
    BAD WOLF

I'm really wanting something phenomenal to be like, "Yeah that's so awesome" but I'm not hearing it. I live in the 2nd largest city in my coastal state. We have stores that sell video games on every corner too. I also wasn't able to find a copy of the game until I drove 45 minutes away, it was the only copy they had, and it was because someone cancelled their preorder.

Server concurrency doesn't really mean much to me because that has no cultural implications. I thought you would possibly have some sales figures, or some crazy news article they had, or something. Don't mistake this as negativity, because I'll reiterate I'm wanting to hear something awesome. Maybe it's the cultural difference, but this means nothing to me.
    Akihabara is the largest collection of electronic stores in the world, an entire city districts worth of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Akihabara is the largest collection of electronic stores in the world, an entire city districts worth of them.
    Yeah but I mean...the population density alone makes that data questionable to the relevance. Like I said...I'm reeeeeally trying here. I even tried to google the city metrics for population numbers so I could estimate the potential buyers for the game, but in any event this game doesn't have 5 million people playing so I find it hard to think one district, in very small (area wise) cities that are jammed with people, uggh....it just mathematically doesn't mean anything to me.

Basically it's like you telling me that WoW is super big in New York City, so it's going to make so much money it will never stop running. I mean you could tell me it's big on the entire east coast and it would still mean nothing. Basically I don't see how financially one district being sold out (when it is sold out in the US for the most part too) is enough evidence that the game is 'so huge' in Japan.

I'm just going to stop now, because you're going to think I'm trying to argue with you to disprove you when for once I am honestly just trying to get an accurate scope why you think it is so big. It's very cool to see that picture and I hope you are right that it's huge, but I can't see that from my limited cultural perspective.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a dream of moving to Tokyo one day . Thats just impressive . (The ad banner.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirve View Post
    I have a dream of moving to Tokyo one day . Thats just impressive . (The ad banner.)
    Mm hmm.I wish I could walk outside my office and see gigantic MMO ads and cinematics.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2013-09-20 at 06:19 PM.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Yeah but I mean...the population density alone makes that data questionable to the relevance. Like I said...I'm reeeeeally trying here.
    Are u retarded or something?

Infracted
    Last edited by Remilia; 2013-09-20 at 06:26 PM.