Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question about ff14 pc vs ps3

any noteworthy differences? i was gonna do a digitial dl from the ff14 site but at the time it was down and since then ive had a few rl friends get it for pc and some get it for ps3.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've had very lackluster performance from tanks playing PS3. The online world is shared between the two, and it just doesn't seem that PS3 players can acquire targets quick enough and hold threat.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

If your computer can handle it then pc always. I have it on ps3 and those long loading times are really annoying. Healing in an mmo with a controller is pretty cool but ps3 is rather slow. Maybe the ps4 will fix this and ps3 players do get a free upgrade to ps4.

"All players who own a PS3 copy will not only be invited to participate in the beta, but will have access to the PS4's digital version for free come launch"
    http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/ar...ee-ps4-upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfyre View Post
    I've had very lackluster performance from tanks playing PS3. The online world is shared between the two, and it just doesn't seem that PS3 players can acquire targets quick enough and hold threat.
    awsome, thanks for ur feedback! if there is anything else i should know beforehand is there somewhere u would reccomend me to? im a experienced mmo gamer from EQ, dark ages of camelot, wow, swtor, beta tested eso, ff11. just wanna be sure when i staert playin the game im fully aware of what im getting myself into. and one final question... how are the online community in the individual u.s. servers? ppl elitist? cool? assholes? or just the usual?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    PS3 -

Longer load times.
    Targeting issues.
    16 Buttons to work with before you need to hit R1 for more.
    Bad controls.

PC -

Awesome.

PS3 is a bad gaming xperience and try to buy FFXIV for the pc.
    You cared enough to post.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dude1197 View Post
    awsome, thanks for ur feedback! if there is anything else i should know beforehand is there somewhere u would reccomend me to? im a experienced mmo gamer from EQ, dark ages of camelot, wow, swtor, beta tested eso, ff11. just wanna be sure when i staert playin the game im fully aware of what im getting myself into. and one final question... how are the online community in the individual u.s. servers? ppl elitist? cool? assholes? or just the usual?
    Honestly, with all the spam bot issues they are having I turn off yell and shout, so I couldn't tell you how people are.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

PS3 players also struggle communicating. Typing is slow and cumbersome, voice chat is very rare and they typically don't have keyboards plugged in. I've not had a good experience playing with PS3 players

The community, at least in the general chat on the forums that I've visited are mostly the same as other MMOs. It may change over time as the MMO hoppers get bored and leave and the actual fans of FF are left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

Yeah a few members of our guild are playing on the PS3 and its very difficult to communicate with them, I'd definitely advise that you go with the PC version.

Deleted
    The pc will easily be a better experience (if you have a pc good enough to run it well.)

I'm playing on the PS3 and whilst the game is fine for me (I have a keyboard so typing isn't too hard) I can see tanking with a controller been hard, using the d-pad to choose targets is weird and a little hit and miss on getting the right target.

Also the lack of keybindings will give some classes a bit of trouble, but at the moment as a lancer it isn't too bad (I have 3/4 attacks that I use all the time, the ohter 5 are either buffs or situational.).

no matter what system you choose the game is great fun, and looks great on the PS3 (and godly on the pc).

To add to what the others have said, the PS3 version suffers from some very bad framerate issues in certain situations. It's pretty gross. I'd recommend the PC version if you can run it. Definitely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of the PS3 issues I've been able to power through, such as mastering crossbar switching and targeting, but there are some major annoyances on the PS3. For example, some FATEs can take a full minute to load up and display the enemies. Sometimes I am just sitting there waiting for enemies to display on my screen while the FATE bar fills up. A lot of bronze/silvers because I just couldn't see or target any enemies. Also, the aforementioned framerate issues can be disastrous if you play a healer. You use Up/Down on the d-pad to select your party members, and sometimes the framerate lag can make it hard to select your intended target.

very interesting, thank u guys for all ur feedback!

Can't possibly imagine trying to heal 24man raids with crappy controller, Naga + mouseovermacros on raidframes is win

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    Can't possibly imagine trying to heal 24man raids with crappy controller, Naga + mouseovermacros on raidframes is win
    You can actually turn on an emulated mouse on the PS3. I've been toying with the idea of trying to mimic mouseovers on the PS3. Wouldn't be nearly as smooth as a mouse, of course, but with the GCD it would be a lot better than the dpad imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    PC

- Better graphics (PS3 version is absolutly shit looking)
    - 1080p vs 720p
    - Better frames in crowded areas
    - Faster load times
    - Easier to communicate with people

Anyway, if you have a strong PC then you should get it for that no doubt.

This video just shows how pathetic the game is on PS3..

I have the game preordered for PS4 though since it will most likely be just as good as the PC visually. If you have any plans to get the PS4 then you can get the game transferred for free which is awesome.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

I didn't test the PS3 version much on Beta so I never attempted, but couldn't a PS3 owner use a keyboard and mouse if they have a really bad PC and get a similar experience?

I suppose if you were getting a PS4 anyway, and with the above statement about getting a free copy of the PS4 version if you own the PS3 one (nice move btw); and you didn't have a PC or a decent one; PS3 version might be attractive? (with keyboard and mouse?)

Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    I didn't test the PS3 version much on Beta so I never attempted, but couldn't a PS3 owner use a keyboard and mouse if they have a really bad PC and get a similar experience?

I suppose if you were getting a PS4 anyway, and with the above statement about getting a free copy of the PS4 version if you own the PS3 one (nice move btw); and you didn't have a PC or a decent one; PS3 version might be attractive? (with keyboard and mouse?)
    I know they can use a keyboard (USB/wireless), unsure of mouse, but I'd think so.

I'd have to agree that PS3, out of the box, is going to be a lesser experience than PC, but so long as you have a keyboard available to you for typing, you should be fine. Oh, and also tweak your targeting and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    wow that video definitly makes me wanna get the pc version.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunfyre View Post
    They just need to adapt and learn to use the target swap functions better....Using controller here and minimal difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    You can actually turn on an emulated mouse on the PS3. I've been toying with the idea of trying to mimic mouseovers on the PS3. Wouldn't be nearly as smooth as a mouse, of course, but with the GCD it would be a lot better than the dpad imo.
    You can also actually plug in a mouse and use it on PS3, too, just can't use it for anything but menus/targetting.