Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    I'm happy it's over, as a class that didn't get a legendary it fucking sucked, it didn't feel epic and it didn't feel like you were working towards something, you just knew somebody who was sucking the GM's dick and might not even be as good as you and other raiders is going to walk away with a legendary and the rest of you aren't
    It's hilarious how people are such hypocrites when you have people saying

"Oh you're just mad people aren't a special snowflake now"

vs

"I'm glad I get to be a special snowflake now unlike when I saw person X get it and I didn't"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    If that long quest chain item is not "legendary", then those previous legendaries would not be legendary either. Random drops are not more legendary.

Also, 24 people working for 1 player to get the item, is not legendary either.
    It wasn't a long quest chain. It was about 4-5 extra quests beyond what you normally were doing. Stop claiming you put in so much work compared to past legendaries.

Deleted
    People who got their warglaives would have raided BT, ssc, kara etc anyway. So stop claiming you put so much work on your warglaives.

I almost wonder if people are really just upset it's a cloak instead of a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    It's hilarious how people are such hypocrites when you have people saying

"Oh you're just mad people aren't a special snowflake now"

vs

"I'm glad I get to be a special snowflake now unlike when I saw person X get it and I didn't"

- - - Updated - - -

It wasn't a long quest chain. It was about 4-5 extra quests beyond what you normally were doing. Stop claiming you put in so much work compared to past legendaries.
    That's an awesome strawman you've built yourself there bro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Txiv View Post
    I almost wonder if people are really just upset it's a cloak instead of a weapon.
    perhaps there is a certain element of truth to that. I for one find it a little weird to even think of a cloak as legendary. . .

but then again, i suppose Harry potter's father's cloak of invisibility was just as legendary in the Potter-verse as Dumbledore's wand. So i'll just have to deal with the cognitive dissonance.

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

A bit of a response to those talking about viewpoints of what a legendary is supposed to be it is interesting how GC bashes the accessibility of the legendary back in Cata and yet we have this. It could have been a factor to why it was not a weapon. We know the main goal of this legendary was to keep players subscribe and for such a thing the developers was willing to budge their beliefs of what a legendary is in order to stick a shiny enough carrot to make it work. I think had this been done in BC or WotLK for the mass populous that it would not have been a legendary and players would have still done it.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/4519250
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Speaking of raids, we also weren’t particularly happy with how accessible legendary items became in Cataclysm. Multiple characters in a single raiding guild were getting, and worse, expecting a legendary weapon. Legendaries are supposed to be rare and exciting, not a bar you fill up like some reputation grind, and certainly not something you feel entitled to get because it’s “your turn.” Dragonwrath in particular was usable by a large variety of class specs, which coupled with the guarantee to completion, just made them too ubiquitous. In the future, legendaries will be more legendary, perhaps so much so that not every raiding guild will have one. In that model, there might be those who almost, but not quite, complete one, but there will also be those who finish one and feel truly honored.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nekobaka View Post
    A bit of a response to those talking about viewpoints of what a legendary is supposed to be it is interesting how GC bashes the accessibility of the legendary back in Cata and yet we have this. It could have been a factor to why it was not a weapon. We know the main goal of this legendary was to keep players subscribe and for such a thing the developers was willing to budge their beliefs of what a legendary is in order to stick a shiny enough carrot to make it work. I think had this been done in BC or WotLK for the mass populous that it would not have been a legendary and players would have still done it.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/4519250
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Speaking of raids, we also weren’t particularly happy with how accessible legendary items became in Cataclysm. Multiple characters in a single raiding guild were getting, and worse, expecting a legendary weapon. Legendaries are supposed to be rare and exciting, not a bar you fill up like some reputation grind, and certainly not something you feel entitled to get because it’s “your turn.” Dragonwrath in particular was usable by a large variety of class specs, which coupled with the guarantee to completion, just made them too ubiquitous. In the future, legendaries will be more legendary, perhaps so much so that not every raiding guild will have one. In that model, there might be those who almost, but not quite, complete one, but there will also be those who finish one and feel truly honored.
    interesting quote. his definition is pretty much what I have read in prior years also from blue posters. as you suggest, the most obvious reason the cloak was made done this way was to encourage continuous subscription.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Are there people who work hard and contribute in LFR, definitely. I'm not quite sure they should be awarded with a legendary tho, don't get me wrong, not saying they shouldn't get *any* gear - but a legendary seems pretty overboard when you consider how many past legendaries were obtained.
    I see what you're saying. I remember obtaining a legendary by tagging along for a BT run just for the achievement and then being lucky enough to win the roll. Two hours of my time and favorable RNG definitely merited that legendary far more than grinding away at LFR and persevering through all the wipes and trolls for weeks on end.

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    interesting quote. his definition is pretty much what I have read in prior years also from blue posters. as you suggest, the most obvious reason the cloak was made done this way was to encourage continuous subscription.
    So, we see that the goal of subscription retention can cause them to do a 180 on some stated element of their design philosophy.

Sub retention has been bad this expansion, and is likely to get even worse. I wonder what they're going to reverse course on next?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
    The cloak is by far the most time consuming legendary to date, not to mention that a few of the scenario encounters were challenging and on par to those in cataclysm. Heck, week to week, you weren't even guaranteed a drop for quest items needed to complete the cloak. (Thankfully, bliz implemented for Lei Shen.) To call it a "welfare" legendary is to say you just got a hand out for showing up to raid-- something which is 10 times more true for other legendaries to date. Just because you don't have exclusivity anymore does not therefore take away in any form the sense of achievement.
    In all fairness I'd have to say that the FL staff was worse to get. In order to get that one you pretty much had to get your raid leader to funnel all the drops to you. There were three(?) stages of drops so only three raid members could effectively work on it at a time. On top of that there were extra bosses you had to get your raid to fight on the way. I'm still on the cinders portion of the quest myself. I have no inclination to finish. Maybe someday the area will be soloable and then I might knock it out over the course of a few weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    After 7 to 8 years playing this game, I can confidently say that Blizzard is full of shit and incompetent when it comes to game design and balance.
    And yet you've stuck with the game for 7 to 8 years. That tells me you have way too much time on your hands.

Deleted
    well it's a welfare legendary, even calling it legendary is an insult for the people who actually spent their time to make a proper legendary.
    the back have only the color of a legendary but it's time to realize the term legendary died with cata.

Frankly, I think if people are going to harp on so much about "Legendaries being Legendary", or whatever, I think it should involve Heroic Raids.

If you're not actually going to make it actually really rare and very hard to obtain, just make it an inclusionary timesink.

Imagine if a whole-expansion-legendary instead required at least one kill of the heroic version of every final boss of this expansion's raid to get a chance at a small drop toward a weapon on Garrosh.

That'd be a legendary.

But barring that, I don't see the problem with a very powerful expansion timesink having the legendary color or whatever. Who really cares :x

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    So, we see that the goal of subscription retention can cause them to do a 180 on some stated element of their design philosophy.

Sub retention has been bad this expansion, and is likely to get even worse. I wonder what they're going to reverse course on next?
    they really have reversed themselves into a corner haven' they?

wonder what their internal daa will say about how the sub pattern of folks who get this cloak compares to oher subs which so some ttype of raiding but don't get the cloak, as in is there an impovement in sub retention.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Deleted
    Previous legendaries did not "take huge amount of work". People who got their legendary back then, would have raided in those raids anyway. They just finished their quests during those raids.

Some incorrect things people are saying:

"24 people helped 1 person get a legendary"
    No, it was mostly 9 helping 1. Remember the ratio of 10v25 was in Cata?

Also, you could have people on different stages once one person got one stage of the questline done, so it could be 8 helping 2 and then 9 helping 2.

This way is fine, but my only suggestion is to change it where you can only do the legendary questline in Normal & Heroic. If you're raiding LFR or Flex, you don't need a legendary anyway. How about LFR/Flex can do the chain but they get an Epic version with lower stats than the Normal/Heroic Legendary version? Don't have the time or the guild to raid Normal/Heroic? Too bad.

Also, keep the PvP aspects in. God forbid you have to PvP a few times in your lifetime. Also, naysayers can no longer use the argument "I'm going to get destroyed" because of how insane base resilience is now.

/endrant
    Last edited by Piercy; 2013-09-24 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    they really have reversed themselves into a corner haven' they?

wonder what their internal daa will say about how the sub pattern of folks who get this cloak compares to oher subs which so some ttype of raiding but don't get the cloak, as in is there an impovement in sub retention.
    My suspicion: players without the cloak will finish raiding in this tier very quickly, mostly just in LFR, and many will then unsub, having nothing more they want to do.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"