Page 1 of 6
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    New Character Models should be put into the Cash Shop

    Was just thinking, and I believe Blizzard should and WILL put the new characters in the cash shop. It's a win-win situation for everyone, the players and Blizzard for a few reasons. The amount of money this would bring in would be RIDICULOUS. This isn't some dumb pet or sparkly horse, this is something that's been hyped up for years that pretty much every player would want. The people who won't like the new models and want to keep the old ones don't have to buy them so there's no issue with those players.

    If they sold the stupid helms for $15 and people bought them, think about how many people would pay $10 to unlock a character model for a race, and then maybe a package deal that would unlock all races for $75. You can bet every kid would be stealing there parents credit card to buy them on day 1. I personally would buy 2-3, human, orc, and maybe gnome.

    From a business standpoint, it would be absolutely retarded for Blizz NOT to sell new models and to just give them away for free. You KNOW people would bitch about it but end up throwing gobs of cash at it. We saw it with the mounts, and then with pets. The bitching only lasts like 2 weeks and then everyone forgets and doesn't care anymore. History will repeat itself, and Blizz knows this. If they can pull of selling helms for $15 that people used for like five days, then this would most definitely fly.

    I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of money generated from character model sales the first week would rival the amount brought in from first week sales of a whole new Xpac or even Heartstone.
    Last edited by Chingylol; 2013-09-23 at 10:29 PM.

  2. #2
    How is it a win situation for players who want new models and have to pay extra for them?

  3. #3
    So you would pay money, to see other players be higher res? Or would this be so that they saw you with a higher res model? And why would "giving them away" be for free? You do understand that we pay a monthly fee for this game?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

    -Kujako-

  4. #4
    That would bring the immersion factor down a ton. Imagine seeing some characters with high polygon counts with possibly much different postures and dimensions and others still looking dated and blocky. I don't believe they'd ever even consider that.

  5. #5
    Warchief Azgraal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Unvanquished City of Porto, Portugal
    Posts
    2,197
    No. Just no. Next thing we know, "patch 6.2 introduces the raid The Legion Pizza Place. Complementary to it, 2 new dungeons and 3 scenarios are available on the blizzstore."

    No. There's got to be a line.
    Disclaimer: The majority of my posts might be dripping in sarcasm. Don't take everything I say literally.




  6. #6
    Bloodsail Admiral Tsundere Pejo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    C eh N eh D eh
    Posts
    1,215
    Ignore the topic, he is trying to troll. He does this all the time. New character models should not be put into the cash shop, plain and simple.

  7. #7
    different people haveing different models on the same race will just look extremly weird

    My MaL http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Draknalor For The Glory Of Ecchi

  8. #8
    Yeah, "People went in an uproar over the helmets and the Experience-granting potion. So lets piss them off really bad this time by putting the new models on the cash shop. And just at the time when we are losing money from subscriptions." Genius thinking.

    Also, it is the first time anyone told me that paying money for something is "winning."

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    Ignore the topic, he is trying to troll. He does this all the time. New character models should not be put into the cash shop, plain and simple.
    So you're saying that Blizzard won't do this? I would bet pretty much everything I own that they will. There's absolutely no reason for them not to.

    Give me two good reasons why they shouldn't, and don't come with the usual "The fanbase will quit the game blah blah" because as we've seen with the mounts and transmog helms, they sell, people complain for a week, and then accept it and everything is all peachy.

    Two reasons.

    Go.

  10. #10
    You say that from a business standpoint it'd be stupid not to sell them. Clearly you don't know that much about business. The game is already on a subscription based system and current methods of selling mounts and pets are fine because they're essentially toggle-able cosmetics that arent specifically asked for by players.

    To sell something that a substantially large percentage of players have been asking for, for real money, would be disastrous for their reputation.

  11. #11
    Well, it wouldn't work like that, I assume that part of the reason new character models are taking so long is backwards compatibility with armour sets? I'm no expert so I could be completely wrong, but assuming this is the case, in future they would either have to make new armour sets for both old and new models which seems like a lot more work when they can just change all the models and only make 1 gear set.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    You say that from a business standpoint it'd be stupid not to sell them. Clearly you don't know that much about business. The game is already on a subscription based system and current methods of selling mounts and pets are fine because they're essentially toggle-able cosmetics that arent specifically asked for by players.

    To sell something that a substantially large percentage of players have been asking for, for real money, would be disastrous for their reputation.
    I 100% disagree with you.

    Wow is an old game, and a large majority the people who have been playing for years will continue to play until they die or the servers are shut down. Blizz knows that a good percentage of players still playing Wow who have accounts that have been active for 3+ years are their loyal fanbase and will NEVER quit the game. NEVER, until WoW 2 comes out or they change the entire game engine for the worst. Those are the people who will buy the models, and you can bet that if people do quit over it, the amount of money made would overshadow the loss of those subscriptions by a large margin.

  13. #13
    Warchief Sylreick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    So you're saying that Blizzard won't do this? I would bet pretty much everything I own that they will. There's absolutely no reason for them not to.

    Give me two good reasons why they shouldn't, and don't come with the usual "The fanbase will quit the game blah blah" because as we've seen with the mounts and transmog helms, they sell, people complain for a week, and then accept it and everything is all peachy.

    Two reasons.

    Go.
    1. Check the uproar the helms caused, then quadruple it.

    2. Loss in monthly subscriptions > potential profit from sales.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    From a business standpoint, it would be absolutely retarded for Blizz NOT to sell new models and to just give them away for free. .[/B]
    This is where you're wrong. I think they would lose an equivalent amount from people leaving the game in protest.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    So you're saying that Blizzard won't do this? I would bet pretty much everything I own that they will. There's absolutely no reason for them not to.

    Give me two good reasons why they shouldn't, and don't come with the usual "The fanbase will quit the game blah blah" because as we've seen with the mounts and transmog helms, they sell, people complain for a week, and then accept it and everything is all peachy.

    Two reasons.

    Go.
    1. Selling a feature that a large portion of players want isn't a good business move due to the fact that it gives the facade of a transparent money grab.

    2. Building a reputation of a subscription game with numerous microtransactions and the backlash that it would cause alienates newer players in an already over saturated MMO market.

    3. Judging by the progress of how long these are taking, selling something that has taken significant development time can lead a substantial number of people to believe that their subscription money isn't being spent in their best interests.

    4. Mounts and transmog helms are fine due to the comparatively little difference it makes to a character and the fact that there are alternative methods of mount collecting and transmog in game. As there are no alternative methods of an entirely new and updated model, you are providing the player who pays extra with a service that other players do not have, In a subscription based game.

    There, four reasons.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Susurrus1 View Post
    This is where you're wrong. I think they would lose an equivalent amount from people leaving the game in protest.
    Yes, because so many people legitimately quit the game after they sold the helms and mounts, and so many players will quit the game when the 100% exp buff goes live in Korea. "But hey guys, it's a whole different country so who cares!".

  17. #17
    Warchief Azgraal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Unvanquished City of Porto, Portugal
    Posts
    2,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    Two reasons.

    Go.
    The fanbase didn't ask for transmog-only helmets. Blizzard added them. The fanbase didn't ask for novelty mounts and pets, when we can get hundreds ingame. Blizzard added them.

    The fanbase has been asking for updated models ever since minor graphic updates started showing up. To finally present them as a premium feature, of a game with a subscription, would be a PR disaster.

    You don't neet TWO reasons as to why not to shoot your own foot. This reason is enough to show why Blizzard shouldn't do what you're suggesting either.
    Disclaimer: The majority of my posts might be dripping in sarcasm. Don't take everything I say literally.




  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    I 100% disagree with you.

    Wow is an old game, and a large majority the people who have been playing for years will continue to play until they die or the servers are shut down. Blizz knows that a good percentage of players still playing Wow who have accounts that have been active for 3+ years are their loyal fanbase and will NEVER quit the game. NEVER, until WoW 2 comes out or they change the entire game engine for the worst. Those are the people who will buy the models, and you can bet that if people do quit over it, the amount of money made would overshadow the loss of those subscriptions by a large margin.
    I would be sincerely worried if blizzard ever adopted the belief that it can get away with stuff like that and rely on die hard fans. It's not a good image for the business to have.

  19. #19
    The Lightbringer UnifiedDivide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,770
    /sigh
    Obvious troll is obvious. (Even more so looking at the OP)

    Blizzard putting new models in the cash shop would be like committing suicide. Despite what people think, they're not that stupid.

    Don't post to call the OP a troll
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-09-24 at 01:24 AM.

    Rarely updated...

  20. #20
    How about; update models free of charge, put old models on the store. Doesn't sound so fair now does it?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •