Page 1 of 54
1
2
3
11
51
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Welfare Legendary

    Does that term bother you at all? I mean after all the work you put in. It took some people almost an entire year to achieve that final cloak. I took me 6 months and someone called it a welfare legendary. How could they. I'm a little fired up about that term. Never have I worked hard for something in a video game before. Does it bother you when its referred to as welfare?

  2. #2
    It's referred to as that by the people that quit the game every 3 weeks and won't be getting one.
    Jsz
    <Identity Crisis> US-Horde Mythic
    > twitch.tv stream <

  3. #3
    the thing is that along the way to working up to it you were rewarded with other legendary items. All previous legendaries required an actual raid group and did not give any other rewards. It's probably fair to refer to it in that sense since you see people with them that have really bad gear.

  4. #4
    Just ignore it. These are the people who have nothing better to do than sit around in Shrine dual wielding the shard's they got last month.

  5. #5
    think its just that everyone did lfr could get one. i switched too many alts around to be bothered to get one

  6. #6
    Because the cloak is brain dead simple to get

    and everyone could also get it first day to 5.4

    in short you don't have to be good to get it

    I wont be getting mine for a while because I can't be bothered to do the pvp part of the quest
    Blizzard White Knighting is not allowed

  7. #7
    I think the reasoning behind it is because anybody can get them, as long as they put in enough time to do so.

  8. #8
    It does a bit for me. To get the final legendary item of this expansion you have to put in as much as six months of effort. Doesn't matter that you can get the parts in LFR. Doesn't matter that you can outgear the solo challenges along the way. What matters is how much time it takes and giving up halfway means you chose to not put in the effort.

    I absolutely loved this model. In Cataclysm the top DPS rankings were filled with mages and rogues with their legendaries that other people couldn't just go back and get without pugging a raid with those on reserve. Now everyone has an equal chance regardless of guild membership or server population constraints.

    What I really want is a new level that's simply cosmetic. Like, zero stats. That takes all the time and effort of, say, Shadowmourne.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nye the Spy View Post
    Because the cloak is brain dead simple to get

    and everyone could also get it first day to 5.4
    Real legendary : 25 people in a guild work their guts out so 1 person gets rewarded.
    Welfare legendary : 1 person works their guts out so 1 person gets rewarded.

    And no - it wasn't always possible to get the legendary on day one of 5.4 - RNG had a big say in that.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jsz View Post
    It's referred to as that by the people that quit the game every 3 weeks and won't be getting one.
    Got mine first day of patch.

    I call it that as well.

    I dont find it special at all. I dont feel any great accomplishment or pride in getting it, it feels like just another cloak and I think it should be treated as just another cloak.

  11. #11
    The Insane peggleftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Surrey, England
    Posts
    16,250
    its the welfare in the sense everyone has access to it, more so than previous legendaries due to raid finder, but not in the sense that its quick to get. if you started trying to get it now, you'd struggle to even get it before the end of MoP, it takes a long time to get. this legendary takes time, not skill/effort.
    Too cool for a signature

  12. #12
    Gotta say, this took more time and effort than the other four legendaries I have.

  13. #13
    I understand how it may bother you, but it's the truth. This week I will have gotten it on my 3rd character and I have literally afked through the entire process of the quest line. There is no difficulty in getting it therefor it is a "welfare" legendary. As long as you're happy about getting it you should not let anybody calling it a name aggravate you.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Syh View Post
    I think the reasoning behind it is because anybody can get them, as long as they put in enough time to do so.
    This; it comes down to whether you think the process of obtaining a legendary should be based on difficulty, luck, time, or all three. This one is time consuming and a bit luck based, but not particularly difficult.

    Compare that to the legendary bow when it was current content back in TBC; it was very random and very difficult, but not at all time consuming if you could get past the difficulty (in that there was nothing you needed to do to obtain the bow other than defeat Kil'Jaeden; it could take a very long time to get it to actually drop, but that's not really the same thing.)

  15. #15
    Pandaren Monk matheney2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nye the Spy View Post
    Because the cloak is brain dead simple to get

    and everyone could also get it first day to 5.4

    in short you don't have to be good to get it

    I wont be getting mine for a while because I can't be bothered to do the pvp part of the quest
    First off, blizzard specifically intended the cloak to be available first day, with a pretty logical reason of doing so.

    2. You had to be good to hope RNG favors you? Collecting shards, fragments, bindings, etc etc requires skill? If so than what do we say about those legendaries that just, well dropped off a boss and required no other work? /gasp! Warglaives such welfare legendary

    And to top off this ridiculous post, you completely contradict your first two points by (for some reason beyond me why you volunteer this info) admitting that you won't even be getting a cloak...Come on now man.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Real legendary : 25 people in a guild work their guts out so 1 person gets rewarded.
    Welfare legendary : 1 person works their guts out so 1 person gets rewarded.

    And no - it wasn't always possible to get the legendary on day one of 5.4 - RNG had a big say in that.
    Six people in my raid for SoO last week had it. And three of them are retarded.

    Yes it was very much possible to have it if you didn't fuck around
    Blizzard White Knighting is not allowed

  17. #17
    High Overlord Jagoex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    183
    Welfare recipients wait for their checks in the mail. It doesn't take them much effort or work to get a pay day. Just time.

    You are waiting for your cloak. It didn't take you much effort or work to get your item. Just time.

    That's the connection, and I agree with it 100%.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nye the Spy View Post
    Yes it was very much possible to have it if you didn't fuck around
    I had extremely bad RNG from 10 to 20 of the Secrets. Set me back by a long shot. Currently on 9/12 Runestones.

    So yeah - assuming RNG didn't screw you up, you would have it by now.

  19. #19
    High Overlord 2s2p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Real legendary : 25 people in a guild work their guts out so 1 person gets rewarded.
    Welfare legendary : 1 person works their guts out so 1 person gets rewarded.

    And no - it wasn't always possible to get the legendary on day one of 5.4 - RNG had a big say in that.
    I got the legendary part done on my main and my alt the first day with out much trouble, didnt have much to do with rng.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    First off, blizzard specifically intended the cloak to be available first day, with a pretty logical reason of doing so.

    2. You had to be good to hope RNG favors you? Collecting shards, fragments, bindings, etc etc requires skill? If so than what do we say about those legendaries that just, well dropped off a boss and required no other work? /gasp! Warglaives such welfare legendary

    And to top off this ridiculous post, you completely contradict your first two points by (for some reason beyond me why you volunteer this info) admitting that you won't even be getting a cloak...Come on now man.
    Ok I know what they said, thanks for re saying something I already know.

    I got all my 5.0 legendary quest sigils in TWO LFR RUNS

    Lol just because I'm good and don't need a legendary to progress doesn't mean its not easy and that anyone could get it

    Your argument is very silly. You think everyone just got handed Warglavies from quests that they've been doing all xpac?
    Last edited by Bill Nye the Spy; 2013-09-17 at 12:55 AM.
    Blizzard White Knighting is not allowed

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •