Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    A miracle happened! I won the required battle grounds. The mines where a PitA due to the alliance refusing to even try for more then one cart at a time. But the temple was rather fun. Turns out that when I'm in 535 PvE gear and use bear form I can hold onto an orb for the entire match.

Next part will take me many months however since I don't do LFR.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

to get the legendary it takes months and months to achieve. nothing wrong with it at all imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Let's lay out the current legendary and keep in mind you had rewards all along the way.
    I didn't. Never got a sha-touched weapon due to the miracle of RNG. So I have gems and such that I can do nothing with but throw them away. Wouldn't have mattered of course since by the time I was able to get the weapon upgrades I had moved past the content they where for and now have weapon from the new raid. (shrug)
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Honestly don't see the butthurt about it, Legendaries have never been super hard to acquire in the past, this one is no different. I refuse to believe that doing all those horrendous LFRs week in week out for your sigils, secrets and runestones is less irritating than having to farm firelands for your staff, dragon soul for your dagger, or alternatively, the "hard" to get legendaries, as in, jump in on illidan and receive it right away.

Drop chance =/= difficulty, or effort, just because you had to clear it then doesn't automatically make it harder. On top of that, after 6 years of playing enhancement, at least I finally get the option to get a legendary after clearing every instance + farming it for 3-9 months a piece since Black Temple, instead of having to stand by while all the other random people get theirs and quit; because frankly I was getting sick of it never becoming my turn, so I don't care if everyone else gets a turn at the same time as long as I get a piece of the pie.

10+ Year Old Account
    This legendary was soo easy they may as well have handed it out in 5.0. I mean, look at the REAL legendarys that took such great effort like the Warglaives and Thori'Dal and actually needed a raid group to get unlike this one that could be solo'd by a blind midget with ADD.

See what I did there? Next person to call it Welfare gets a shovel upside the head. After you dig your own hole

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wordup View Post
    Honestly don't see the butthurt about it, Legendaries have never been super hard to acquire in the past, this one is no different. I refuse to believe that doing all those horrendous LFRs week in week out for your sigils, secrets and runestones is less irritating than having to farm firelands for your staff, dragon soul for your dagger, or alternatively, the "hard" to get legendaries, as in, jump in on illidan and receive it right away.

Drop chance =/= difficulty, or effort, just because you had to clear it then doesn't automatically make it harder. On top of that, after 6 years of playing enhancement, at least I finally get the option to get a legendary after clearing every instance + farming it for 3-9 months a piece since Black Temple, instead of having to stand by while all the other random people get theirs and quit; because frankly I was getting sick of it never becoming my turn, so I don't care if everyone else gets a turn at the same time as long as I get a piece of the pie.

Amen, brother. Amen.

I couldn't get one. you need to beat a world boss to get one. my server is dead as hell. Good luck getting that kill.

While getting it isn't particularity hard, it does take a bit of time. And it's not like other legendaries were *that* hard to get, as most of them were based on drop rate luck from content your guild is farming anyway, or in the case of BC, the item itself dropping.

To be honest my only issue is that I think that a legendary cape is kind of lame. If they wanted a non-weapon, why not a legendary helm or something? Personal preference I guess, but a cape is sort of lame imo.

Infractions: 2

They should have produced full legendary sets so I could afk my way to really decent gear on all my alts.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah no this definitely wasn't a welfare epic..... yes it most certainly is. At least the rogue daggers had you go out for some challenging fights. At least DW changed things for the raids and gave an extra boss and a difficult scenario to solo. At least Shadowmourne challenged your raid when you were on the part with the wing bosses and even the part to get the hammer was harder than most of what I listed. At least Valanyr required you to do heroic mode yogg saron. At least Thoridol was in what is considered the hardest wow raid ever. At least getting glaives when they came out required a lot of personal work OUTSIDE of raiding.
    To someone doing organized normal/heroic raiding it is indeed a welfare epic for all the reasons you gave.

For someone who does only LFR, there is considerably more inconvenience/random stuff to do/even some difficulty.

The Celestial DPS quest was very difficult in LFR gear early on.

So, yes, just like RNG epics are "welfare epics" to raiders, the cloak is indeed a "welfare epic" to raiders, who basically just have to check their mailbox to see if it's arrived. However, to people who never touch normal, it is in fact a legitimately earned "legendary."

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    To someone doing organized normal/heroic raiding it is indeed a welfare epic for all the reasons you gave.

For someone who does only LFR, there is considerably more inconvenience/random stuff to do/even some difficulty.

The Celestial DPS quest was very difficult in LFR gear early on.

So, yes, just like RNG epics are "welfare epics" to raiders, the cloak is indeed a "welfare epic" to raiders, who basically just have to check their mailbox to see if it's arrived. However, to people who never touch normal, it is in fact a legitimately earned "legendary."
    Honestly, I disagree on it being any different. Every legendary for people doing heroic or even normal raiding has just been either a bottleneck to inhibit raiding due to RNG drops, or been a free added bonus to killing a boss you're farming. They're just there. People seem to attribute a magical quality to them that they're super hard, mostly because they never put in the modicum of effort it takes (or more likely because it's not for their class) even despite how much easier they have become for years now.

The only reason people are hating them so much now is because they've put them on such a huge pedestal that actually acquiring one has ruined the magic they've built up in their minds of the legendaries they've never received, despite how well designed it has been and how good they are, and even moreso, how for ONCE the legendaries are spread out, balanced and fair; let alone based on consistent playtime instead of RNG.

- - - Updated - - -

To be able to get into BT the player needed to have done about 50ish or more max level group quests that were semi hard even with a group. Don't kid yourself thinking that in BC your guild did all the work
    NO.

You had to be attuned (which could be skipped with a vial from KT that existed at the time), alongside the Kara/Mag/SSC/TK attunements. 50 quests? Not even close. Time invested for attunements outside of raids in TBC pales in comparison to time spent farming sigils/secrets/runestones even in LFR, and they weren't any more difficult than LFR, because guess what? It's just as easy to get idiots in LFR as it was to get idiots doing heroic dungeon attunement quests in TBC.

Take off the glasses please.

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    However, to people who never touch normal, it is in fact a legitimately earned "legendary."
    For the one scenario that still was really easy even in mediocre to bad gear ? I don't know...
    The only reason people are hating them so much now is because they've put them on such a huge pedestal that actually acquiring one has ruined the magic they've built up in their minds of the legendaries they've never received, despite how well designed it has been and how good they are, and even moreso, how for ONCE the legendaries are spread out, balanced and fair; let alone based on consistent playtime instead of RNG.
    Spoken like somebody who really never got one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly don't see the butthurt about it, Legendaries have never been super hard to acquire in the past, this one is no different.
    well hard to argue with that. mr atiesh/glaives/swp bow, you are now put in your historically revised place.

Seriously, I don't see how someone compares even being in BT as current content as easy/comparable to this cloak's requirements. just having to clear vashj and kael were non-trivial hurdles. I am strongly tempted to believe that folks who trivialize progression raiding through t5 to t6 either were carried by geared guilds or didn't actually get into bt pre-2.3.

- - - Updated - - -

Time invested for attunements outside of raids in TBC pales in comparison to time spent farming sigils/secrets/runestones even in LFR, and they weren't any more difficult than LFR, because guess what?
    what about time invested for progression raiding to actually get attuned to be able to get into bt? does this count or is it an inconvenient statistic (or was everyone who ever got attuned carried, a prominent theme here now).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raintola View Post
    You could get carried to them in any other expansion, so......
    yep, that must be it, if you got a legendary in classic or bc, you were carried.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Amsden View Post
    Blizz doesn't get to say what is and is not an apple, however they do have that authority when it comes to the items in their game. All they are is the tier above epic, nothing more. Some of you people put way to much weight in the word "legendary".
    well maybe prior stated blizzard definitions have something to do with this?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Yeah, essentially, the fact that this thing is obtainable via LFR is what tarnished it I think for most. When the guys that would typically always wipe your raid and couldn't cut it on the roster end up getting legendaries, you know something in the game is way way off lol. Personally for me, I got one of the wind bindings the other day in MC, it felt like a bigger accomplishment lol.
    that ain't something being 'way off' in the game, its the game getting more 'accessible.' psychologically for players who worry about gear, (most I assume at some level or other), purple has been so devalued in rarity as to be trivial, so they need to start making orange more accessible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thatwsntmilk View Post
    Example: Val'anyr: only few per guild/server could get it because it took a certain amount of time/raids to get it => harder to obtain for me because I need to have proven that I am worth it to my guild.
    fortunately a prior poster already noted that you were being carried, not earning it.

in all seriousness I detailed the 'carried' thing as a parody of this thread, but there are folks who seriously look at old legendaries that way.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    I am strongly tempted to believe that folks who trivialize progression raiding through t5 to t6 either were carried by geared guilds or didn't actually get into bt pre-2.3.
    Everything became super easy once they did that 30% nerf across the board. I think you'll find a lot of the TBC Kiddies who think they were awesome progression raiders didn't really tackle the real content.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    Everything became super easy once they did that 30% nerf across the board. I think you'll find a lot of the TBC Kiddies who think they were awesome progression raiders didn't really tackle the real content.
    i remember guilds progressing through t5 and they had a damned schedule and took weeks and weeks on each raid. i cannot see how someone who actually participated in raid progression would compare it equivalently to this cloak. hell even early mag had some click mechanics/debuffs that took some level of coordination I cannot imagine ever working its way into lfr. and this says nothing about atiesh.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    Tell us again about how your guild progressed all the way up to Black Temple, downed Illidan, and gave you the Glaive when it dropped.
    Exactly.

To get a legendary in MoP is just going through the motions.
    Back in TBC. One did not just downed Illidan. Back in the day world first kills happened few months after patch release.
    Also it wasnt just "giving" a legendary item, it was group effort where the legendary recipent contributed as well.

There should only ever be one copy of a legendary per xpac, that would truly make the lucky recipient and the item deserving of the term legendary.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    People like to overly simplify things. What they really mean is, "Legendary that more people have than just me and 2 other guys on the server".

No doubt they are the same people who thought having a random 1% drop chance on legendaries during BT was an amazing model to use and showed skill and dedication.
    Guilds could have killed Illidan over and over again and never get the legendary, meanwhile another guild could have been incredibly lucky and gotten it on the first attempt, then there's deciding who to give it to. They were rare yes, but they weren't a show of how much dedication you'd put into getting them.
    And no doubt those people were right. A guaranteed earn for a feat is not as impressing as a non-guaranteed earn for a feat. You could say the old system rewarded the lucky but this new system does so too, instead it just micro managed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure how the proc from your cape is any different from the proc off of madness weapons in DS which were far easier to get in all honesty. The only difference is the color of the item /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    Not sure how the proc from your cape is any different from the proc off of madness weapons in DS which were far easier to get in all honesty. The only difference is the color of the item /shrug
    Yeah. Because Legendaries are defined by whether or not the item has a proc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogmanlolz View Post
    Does that term bother you at all? I mean after all the work you put in. It took some people almost an entire year to achieve that final cloak. I took me 6 months and someone called it a welfare legendary. How could they. I'm a little fired up about that term. Never have I worked hard for something in a video game before. Does it bother you when its referred to as welfare?
    why do you care what others say? people think to much of that in this game, anyone abuses you for your cloak just give em ye olde 2 finger salute :P

And no I wouldnt say its easy to get, my character is pretty well geared but ive barely got any of the way into the wrathion quests.....Im still collecting sigils of wisdom and power due to them NEVER DROPPING! for me, I havnt even looked at what I gotta do after that